Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few notes from Tokyo-3
A few notes from Tokyo-3
I am - without exagerration - staying in Tokyo-3

It's currently a load of Golf courses.
It's a very touristy area so English is common
In Episode 1, Misato is meeting Shinji in Odawara Station - which is the gateway to the area. A train normally goes from here to Hakone-Yumoto - which then becomes a seperate switchback train that goes to Gora (Wich is down due to landslides at the moment)
The road in one direction from my hotel leads directly to where Misato's apartment should be - at the foot of a steep mountain - and has the Sengokuhara Junior High listed as an evacuation route.
Shinji takes an odd course when he runs away. The grass fields he walks past are very close to his apartment - about 15 minutes walking time. This is after he appears to end up in an area built up large enough to have a cinema. This could either be Gotemba which is to the North near Mt Fuji, or Odawara to the South (Called New Yokusuka in the anime). It looks like he walks in circles aimlessly.
Hakone - Hakone Yumoto is very much a tourist town with a lot of food shops and souvenir shops.
Speaking of Episode 4- the misty valley Shinji runs to is at the top of mountain and - is actually a popular local tourist attraction called Owakudani that is normally teeming with people. It's a volcanic valley that is the source of the local hot springs. It was closed today due to volcanic activity. It also smells the the devil's arse.
This is a hot-spring area - and all the local hot springs are fed by a network of pipes from Owakudani - any collateral damage to the network will be noticed in the local economy and result in *paperwork* and *protests*.
Misato's drive from her apartment to the Station to pick up Shinji is really treacherous at the best of times. The road is steep, winding and narrow, and also lined tightly with houses, shops and people climbing between home and shops. Oh, and probably the best bus drivers in the world hammering up and down it with city route buses loaded with tourists.
The road where Misato stops in that episode is actually a busy tourist bus station serving Hakone Yumoto train station. There's a river running down the centre of the town behind the main strip of buildings with heavy flood and landslide defences. The Camera in epsiode 4 where Misato arrives and we look from her back is in the centre of the river. Normally you could walk across it.
This whole area is really a cluster of villages just sort of built into the mountainsides. wherever there's a momentary level bit of ground. Otherwise it's hellaciously steep.
There're more than a few old and abandoned looking places - especially on the Yumoto side of the mountain - some of them either Onsen or inns that've fallen on hard times. Would Doug's training centre have its own hot-spring bath?
Sengokuhara - at the North end of lake Aishi is the proposed location of Tokyo-03 - and it's the only area that's remotely flat. It's mostly golf-courses and hotels
The whole area is hemmed in by steep mountains - it's a natural compact amphitheatre. Tokyo-3 is only a couple of kilometres long and wide. It's a dense city - a few strides for an Eva at most.
It is very easy therefore to cut off road access to the area because almost every route crosses a mountain. Some roads are currently blocked due to landslides.
God knows how anyone gets a tank along these roads.
The old Tokaido road runs along the bottom of lake Aishi.
There's a brewery in Gora - the other side of the mountain to Tokyo-3 - and it makes good beer.
Just getting too and from places on the Hakone-Yumoto side of the mountain makes for good physical training - something that looks close by on Google maps is actually a bloody steep climb.
The Fifth Angel probably incinerated a resort and everyone who was staying there - if they didn't bother to evacuate. It's right in the firing line.
The Tenth Angel obliterated a town of thousands with one of its misses.
The Togendai to Moto-Hakone sightseeing cruise is a faster way from one end of the lake to the other than the local bus. Tokyo-3 is at the Togendai end.
You could probably see Mt Fuji from an Evangelion's perspective in Tokyo-3 - and it's actually a really pretty sight.

There are currently no Angels - but the evacuation point for this hotel is Ex-Sengokuhara Junior High School.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
RE: A few notes from Tokyo-3
Thanks for the notes, Dartz! I was starting to get worried as we hadn't heard from you since you were still on the road. I trust you're having a good time?

If hot springs are so common in the area, I don't see why the monastery I'm going to plop down around there wouldn't have one. (Heh. Evil thought. I can turn the brewery into the location of the monastery...)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
But does that mean they stopped making beer, or that the beer they make is now literally a divine blessing on this troubled earth? It's not like alcohol production isn't an old staple of ways for monasteries to support themselves.
--
‎noli esse culus
I've been bopping around Japan. Been to Hiroshima had Wagyu Yakiniku in Osaka, visited the JR museum in Kyoto and have otherwise been taking a break.

There's some good spots in Hakone. It is a beautiful part of the country.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

Keep us informed and let us know any time you come across something cool, okay?

Have fun!
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
There is actually a few interesting places around here

There's the open air art museum, the Little Prince Museum which is a small reconstruction of a European town, and what might be one of the last remaining tea-houses on the old Tokaido road, Amazake-Chaya to the South of the lake.

It is very much a tourist spot... Which probably explains the Hakone setting. What better reason the charge a few d
ays at an Onsen resort on the company card