Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacation time
RE: Vacation time
(11-09-2019, 09:55 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: Well, it sounds like you'll have getting the film developed to look forward to, unlike many modern tourists. Assuming you managed to take more snaps of actual sights rather than your thumb or mate-shaped blur in front of greenish blur #N+1, that should be something. Sounds like a fun trip!

Um, CD, have you seen his images from WorldCon Dublin?  I'd say he knows how to handle a proper camera.

So, Dartz, why is it you feel you got took on that Cannon?  I have to admit that you make it sound like it was historically significant in some way, but then you go on to say you felt you paid to much...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
I had to stop in the middle of the tale to make this post.

Dartz! Dude! That thing with the children - that was the Shichi-Go-San holiday!

It's a huge rite of passage for Japanese children where five-year-old boys and three- and seven-year old girls go to the shrines to drive out evil and make wishes for a healthy life.

This, of course, was a thing because child mortality was very high when the tradition started. It was said that all children were "Children of the Gods" up until the age of seven.

Photography is common for this holiday. If you had promised prints and/or negatives, I'm sure that many of the parents would have been ecstatic about the idea of photos taken with a film-camera. Though I could only imagine how confused the children would be when you can't send them the picture right away. Big Grin
Best not to take pictures of kids. It can be miscontrued. And it takes time to get photos developed.

Canon P was only made for about three years from 1958 to 61 - this thing is right from when Japan started actually making things properly and it is still built tough. It's a fairly basic camera - the cheaper version of something more complex - but it had proper build quality of a more expensive item and was significantly cheaper.

I'm still sort of recovering otherwise.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.