Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why am I Leery of Private Enterprise in Space?
Why am I Leery of Private Enterprise in Space?
But BA!  Private Enterprise will make space colonies happen!

Watch this video first.  The whole thing.  And I promise this will make sense.

This was recent.

VERY recent.

Barely more than one year yet recent.

Not ten years ago.

Not fifty years ago.

Not a hundred years ago.

And you would think that after all this time we've been drilling for oil, there would be safety standards at the Federal level that drilling companies must adhere to.

But no.  There aren't.  It's fucking Wild Wild West out there.

This is where it becomes relevant.

Right now?  There is no regulation beyond Earth's atmosphere.  No countries, no laws, no nothing.  Elon Musk can probably send an automated Helium-3 collection plant to the moon so he can sell it here on Earth and no one would be able to do shit about it.  (They'd try, but he can weasel out of it somehow.)

The thing is, anytime there is no government oversight or regulations, that is when corporate enterprise will assign a price tag to human lives.

Can you imagine the kind of shit people would pull in order to make a quick buck while going after Helium-3 or other valuable materials?  It'd be Mr. Peabody's coal mines all over again.

Meanwhile, people like Elon Musk will be more than happy to build their walled gardens in the L-Points and on the moon, and all of it built off of this industry.  Welcome to the modern "Gilded Age".

"But that can't possibly happen!"

Oh?

People said the same thing about the events in Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor.  Some years later, the September 11th Terrorist Attacks happened.

People said that the events in Phillip Roth's novel, The Plot Against America, couldn't possibly occur.  And yet, we now have Donald Trump; a sitting US President that panders to white supremacists, marginalizes minorities, and seeks to ingratiate himself to our enemies.

Dare we say that the events that led to the scenario in the film Elysium can't possibly happen?

Am I being too paranoid?

I hope I am.

But unfortunately, the evidence suggests otherwise.
RE: Why am I Leery of Private Enterprise in Space?
Proper laws and regulation of space expansion is going to be a nightmare, one that's going to require action on the international level to be worked out. And really, now that private industries are trying to get up there, it has to be done in the near future. I have serious doubts that's going to happen. Christ, I can easily see the modern Australian government, which answers to corporate lobbies more than the voters in way too many areas, actively stonewalling any efforts to achieve it.

Company towns, scrip, union busting and active subversion of education efforts? It'll happen.
Blows dust off thread.

Blue Origin: Jeff Bezos unveils plans for 'space business park'
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
At least sexaroids are legal up there. Too much regulation down dirtside.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto