Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Russian fanfic archive is mass-copying fics off of AO3
A Russian fanfic archive is mass-copying fics off of AO3
Tumblr post reblogged to my account here:
https://blackaeronaut.tumblr.com/post/18...ks-copying

You know, there are times that I feel that a website is absolutely deserving to be utterly destroyed by hackers.

This is one of them.
RE: A Russian fanfic archive is mass-copying fics off of AO3
*Sigh*

Is this *JUST* limited to archive of our own?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Hmmmmm...

Get a bunch of high-profile AO3 writers to write stories where Putin is the villain (perfectly legal, outside Russia). Post those stories to AO3 (perfectly legal). Don't set the do-not-copy flag (perfectly legal). Watch as the Russian site gets shut down because of all the illegally-copied anti-Putin stories hosted on it.

Now, I'm not saying that this will work, or even that it's a good idea. But, hey, freedom of expression means I can post this sort of thought.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Unfortunately, no, it's not limited to AO3. From what I understand, pretty much every fanfic archive out there is being targeted.

And Rob, that actually sounds like a great idea. From what I understand of the site owner's character, he would never have imagined that someone could write a fic that could get him into trouble for having it on his site.
Just find the durtiest yaoi lemon imagineable and do a CTRL-F, CTRL-R replace on the character names. Problem solved.

Ukeputin?

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(12-13-2019, 12:52 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: And Rob, that actually sounds like a great idea.  From what I understand of the site owner's character, he would never have imagined that someone could write a fic that could get him into trouble for having it on his site.
I've been feeling ill all week. I do most of my nastiest thinking when I'm ill. Smile

Feel free to run with that idea.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Given what happened with the SCP Foundation and Russia, yeah this doesn't surprise me.
While you're at it, something else to put into anti-Russian-copying fics:

Moscow claims historical precedent for annexing Crimea. Be sure to describe the historical precedent for the entirety of Russia being ruled from St. Petersberg... and, before that, from Kyiv.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown