Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird...
Weird...
So I get up this morning a little earlier than usual, and I realize after I get out of the shower that I can hear helicopters.  That's not all that unusual; occasionally a copter will go over the house (one did so at a low altitude on Wednesday evening, startling Helen, who was visiting).  And I grew up next to Lakehurst Naval Air Station (as it was called at the time), home to hourly helicopter fly-bys, so I hardly even notice the basso-profundo whup-whup-whup-whup of a chopper overhead.

But these helicopters aren't going away.  And when I mention it to Peggy -- who is up and about because her sleep patterns have been messed up for a good ten years now thanks to allnighters she used to pull for B-MS -- she tells me that they've been at it since the very early hours of the morning.  I wondered out loud if they were some kind of patrol and Peggy half-seriously speculates that Trump's in the neighborhood playing golf.  (Never mind that he owns a course 15 miles away that he would actually be at and he wouldn't be golfing before dawn.)

Anyway, an hour after I first notice the sound they're still going, and I head out to the car.  And I see them -- two helicopters hovering over something a few blocks away to the southeast.], holding rock-steady.  They don't seem to have police markings.   Unfortunately I don't go that way to go to work so I head off NW and leave them behind...  and I can't help wondering what the hell is/was going on over there.  I checked the website for the local news, and nothing comes up.  The last time I saw a chopper or two just hovering like that was over a big accident on an interstate, but there's nothing that way that's close to a major road.

So now I'm going to be wracked by curiosity all day... and unless I can find some kind of news article on it I may never find out what was going on.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Weird...
And sometimes the answer turns out to be a let down. For the last several days I'd seen something, from sunset on, that I was constantly telling myself could not be what I thought I was seeing. So, last night I called my mom out (she works in the aerospace industry) pointed it out to her and asked.

She said that it was Venus. *sad face*

But hey, first time I noticed an astronomical 'thing' like that!!! *happy face*
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
If you come back from work, read this, and can't remember posting it, then worry about the hovering black helicopters.
--
‎noli esse culus
I would, if they were black. But they were white with red highlights -- the wrong color for police copters, too. The only thing I can think of is that they were traffic choppers, but what the hell could've been going on over there that needed two traffic copters to watch it for well over an hour?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(01-31-2020, 12:34 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: If you come back from work, read this, and can't remember posting it, then worry about the hovering black helicopters.

except I don't work in the traditional sense anymore CD.  past that... well...  you have a point?
NO QUARTER!

Is that weird?  A couple nights ago there were three helicopters hovering over my house for about two hours.  One of them directly above my house at 90°.  It was fairly loud and annoying.  No lights on or anything, just hovering there for no apparent reason without moving.  All facing away from the freeway as well.

I wouldn't think too hard about it, it's just another one of those things that happens while Trump is President.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
No lights, not even the navigation lights?

That's interesting. And IIRC, illegal.
Depends on the government agency they report to Hazard. I have to say that the sitting president of the USA chooses to believe he could legally order such behavior.
NO QUARTER!