Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tropey Politics
Tropey Politics
A thread for all those trope-related things that just won't fly outside of the Politics subforum.

Such as:
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Tropey Politics
Well, it's a foreign movie about the evils of capitalism, with subtitles. Three things that scare and confuse him.
(02-21-2020, 09:21 PM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: Well, it's a foreign movie about the evils of capitalism, with subtitles. Three things that scare and confuse him.

Someone must've explained to him what it's about, 'cause he couldn't read the subtitles.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
After Oscar Snub, Trump Sends 3 Battalions of Tropes to Korea
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(02-21-2020, 09:58 PM)DHBirr Wrote:
(02-21-2020, 09:21 PM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: Well, it's a foreign movie about the evils of capitalism, with subtitles. Three things that scare and confuse him.

Someone must've explained to him what it's about, 'cause he couldn't read the subtitles.

I wasn't going to quote from the story, but...
Quote:"What the hell was that all about? We've got enough problems with South Korea, with trade. And after all that, they give them best movie of the year?" Trump added.

"Was it good? I don't know."

Neon, the U.S. distributor for the subtitled film, shot back on Twitter: "Understandable, he can't read."

So, add Take That to the list.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Errol Morris Wrote:So he’s talking about Citizen Kane, and it’s kind of amazing. I’m not even sure I know what to make of it, and I have to be perfectly honest that my feelings about Donald Trump are clouded by what you might call his current role as president of the United States. So he starts to tell me about Charles Foster Kane, who he identifies with. And what was Charles Foster Kane’s real problem? Was his problem that he was a megalomaniac? Not so much. Was his problem that he treated people around him miserably? Nah! What was his problem? According to Donald Trump, his problem was the woman he married. So at the very end of this clip, I asked Donald Trump, “Would you have any advice for Charles Foster Kane?” And he says, “Yeah! Get yourself a different woman.”

Errol Morris on Donald Trump’s Takeaway From ‘Citizen Kane’

Incidentally this interview was done for the 2002 Oscars.  It's one of Trump's favorite movies.

I've been doing a lot of thinking of what it must be like to be Trump and watch movies.  He can't really feel love or empathy, so most of writers are trying to do can't really work at all.  So when he says he likes Sunset Boulevard -- and this is one of the few things I agree with him about -- is it because he's thinking the whole time, "Yeah, broads get so crazy when they're old and useless," or something?  Trying to imagine what it's like to think about reality from the perspective of someone who is missing cognitive development milestones is actually a rather interesting exercise for characterization.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto