Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 & US healthcare system
RE: COVID-19 & US healthcare system
Amusing given that the pulp those masks rely on comes from Canada.

America First doesn't work when America relies on imports from the countries it's fucking over.

Sure, we're making ventilators that're still getting exported to the States. What happens when we need them ourselves?

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Similarly, here in Windsor, we have around 2000 Doctors and Nurses crossing the border each day to work in Detroit hospitals. What if we decided we needed them helping on this side of the border instead?
We do need them on this side of the border. Whether we're going to say "work where you live" is another matter, though.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(04-03-2020, 04:52 PM)Dartz Wrote: Amusing given that the pulp those masks rely on comes from Canada.

America First doesn't work when America relies on imports from the countries it's fucking over.

Sure, we're making ventilators that're still getting exported to the States. What happens when we need them ourselves?

If it's true? Then you should be prepared to keep them for yourselves, full stop. At least with regards to exports to us in the U.S. Especially if the reports are true that the federal government here is also intercepting and seizing shipments ordered by the states for their health needs in this.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
At this point, still trying to defend this administration just shows you for who you are.
https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/...8156268560
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
#KusherIsAnIdiot is trending. I mean, it goes without saying, but what'd he do this time... Oh. Oh no. He's apparently oozed his way into the Covid response effort, and is being his usual useless self.
No real surprise at the idea that ability to access the national stockpile is based on the lack of public state criticism of the administration.

I'm waiting for the reports of attempts behind closed doors to basically say, "yeah, you want this stuff, you're going to have to play ball by these rules now, just roll over and let us do what we want without complaint, and we'll then help you out," in a situation where there may be no choice, or rather, the choice is to let the administration be what it is, or allow the hospital resources to be completely overrun by this pandemic.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
(04-03-2020, 05:56 PM)robkelk Wrote: We do need them on this side of the border. Whether we're going to say "work where you live" is another matter, though.
Oh, I quite agree, talking about it with my Mum, she suggested they could have the Doctors/Nurses currently crossing the border self isolate for a couple weeks in case they picked up something over there, then have them take over here and give a mess of the medical personnel currently working here a two week break to recuperate, then just keep alternating like that.
This is gonna be one for the history books if the fucking revolution gets kicked off when pitchforks and torches appear at the sites of the National Stockpile.
"There are no medical shortages, it's all fake news, take this untested anti-malaria drug, it's a miracle cure, what've you got to lose?"

Jesus Christ, he's fucking insane.
Good God, these guys are a plague all their own.

Missouri man planned to bomb hospital during pandemic to get attention for white supremacist views

Quote:Timothy Wilson, 36, died March 24 when the FBI sought to arrest him after a six-month investigation.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Meanwhile, north of the border...

The pandemic is breaking down political barriers between provincial and federal governments

Quote:Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, normally an inveterate foe of Trudeau, tweeted during the call how he was "impressed by how [Canada] is coming together to fight this invisible enemy" and "moved by strong solidarity for Alberta's double whammy: the COVID recession [and] the energy price crash."

Ontario Premier Doug Ford, another regular sparring partner of Trudeau's, said in a news conference earlier on Thursday that he would "never break ranks" with the prime minister or his fellow premiers in the midst of a crisis. In an interview with the Toronto Star, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland called Ford her "therapist" and the Ontario premier reciprocated her praise.

Quote:Little more than a year ago, Ford and Kenney were featured on a cover of Maclean's magazine standing beside Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister, Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe and federal Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer. Together, they were dubbed "the resistance" and Trudeau's "worst nightmare."

Now, Ford says they are all part of "Team Canada."

So, no, political divides do not need to get in the way of emergency response. This is proof of that statement.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Doug Ford has been a happy surprise in this situation.

But.

Pay attention to what Kenny does, not what he says.

So while he is calling for volunteers and entrepreneurs to fix problems and find solutions in the current crisis he is also cutting funding to the education system (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/e...-1.5515459) stopping environmental reporting requirements for oil and gas companies (https://open.alberta.ca/publications/min...-and-parks) and selling off crown land with native grassland on it that had never been previously worked agriculturally (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/a...-1.5501163) with even less over sight opportunities than normal. Things the UCP government promised not to do, frequently just before they announced that they were actually going to do them.

That's not even touching things like his $58/barrel oil budget (https://biv.com/article/2020/03/albertas...-downgrade).

Kenny is not one to let a good crisis go to waste and he has found an excellent one in COIVD-19.
-Now available with copious trivia!
Meanwhile, in Ireland.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar worked as a doctor before entering politics.

He's now working shifts with the HSE - doing phone work and initial assesments

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

This is fascinating:

The Pandemic Is Turning the Natural World Upside Down  Widespread social-distancing measures have produced some jarring effects across land, air, and sea.

Bad News Wrapped in Protein: Inside the Coronavirus Genome

Ex-astronaut launches training kit for coping with self-isolation

(04-05-2020, 07:36 AM)robkelk Wrote: Meanwhile, north of the border...

The pandemic is breaking down political barriers between provincial and federal governments

<snip>

So, no, political divides do not need to get in the way of emergency response. This is proof of that statement.

Meanwhile, in the United States: ‘A Darwinian approach to federalism’: States confront new reality under Trump

Quote:The strategy is built on the idea that state leaders have the greatest familiarity with residents, hospitals and public health departments, as President Donald Trump and his allies argue. But it has a political subtext: The approach could give the White House an opportunity to extract Trump from future criticism as the virus spreads throughout the nation and threatens to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans.

It appears he's planning to blame the liberal governors for their poor response, while sending extra equipment to conservative states.  It also helps that more of the surviving voters will be Republicans under this plan.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(04-05-2020, 05:33 PM)Labster Wrote: The strategy is built on the idea that state leaders have the greatest familiarity with residents, hospitals and public health departments, as President Donald Trump and his allies argue.

This is logical.

Quote:It appears he's planning to blame the liberal governors for their poor response, while sending extra equipment to conservative states.  It also helps that more of the surviving voters will be Republicans under this plan.

If this is true. This is almost rediculously evil. Like, properly, politically evil.

It'd be so much more comforting to blame incopetence rather than malice. But Florida getting 100% of it's requests while other states are getting single-percent is sort of - unsettling.

Like most things with US politics - a surface of logic is the gateway to evil depths.

Sociopathic motherfucker is getting desperate.

Trump promotes use of drug for coronavirus: 'I'm not a doctor. But I have common sense'

maybe that'll lead to some of the more blinded Trump supporters dying? Either because they take the wrong kind of the chemical or because they thing taking the drug means they don't need to go to the hospital.
One of those statements is true.
Okay, which one of his spawn has shares in a medical company?
*Gets off work.* Oh, the company involved is one of the ones Micheal Cohen got White House access for. I swear to God, it never ends...
Trump only wanted to drain the swamp to install his own, after all...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Who would have thought a con man with a public record of acting as a con man for decades on end would turn out to be a con man?
The US has decided that by hook or by crook, only the US will have the equipment needed.

Barbados accuses U.S. of blocking ventilators to help with the coronavirus pandemic