Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 & US healthcare system
RE: COVID-19 & US healthcare system
Notably the travel ban doesn't affect the UK, which has more cases than most European countries, nor is there any travel restriction in entering the country from Korea. Not sure that this is going to stop what Trump called a "foreign virus" that is already here.

Meanwhile, in South Korea, they test 10k people for COVID-19 every day. The United States has yet to test that many people in total. It's almost like they aren't even trying to get disease cubes off the board. So, as stupid as a travel ban may be, can we focus on the fact that the actual response to the disease has been terrible?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Eh, it's a political and possibly panic move. Effectiveness doesn't matter nearly as much as being seen doing something, and being able to tie it into the familiar ongoing talking points, in this case foreigners being bad. Besides, it's hardly as if he could flip-flop and start pushing for better public health care, that would look terrible to his base.
--
‎noli esse culus
Posted this to the images thread earlier
[Image: nYjyGbm.jpg]
Except, according to what I heard on CBS radio news this morning, the order he signed doesn't even say that -- places like Ireland, the Balkans... geeze, I can't remember the whole list but it sounded like easily half of Europe -- are excepted. I'll have to find a print story with the details on the web and link it later.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I can imagine a conversation something like this:

"Will it help if we build a wall?"
"Only if it's a wall across both oceans."
"We can't afford to build that many walls. Let's build one. Who do I hate today?"
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
When you are a bigot, everything looks like an immigration problem.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Thousands of 401Ks are crying out in terror:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/investing...index.html
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Our investment adviser actually set up a call with us earlier this week to discuss the market. Since we don't need to start drawing on our IRAs for almost a decade yet, we're content to sit pat and let the market do as it will and simply buy low at the right time. (We have a managed portfolio, and they've already been shifting our money out of stocks and into bonds to limit our exposure anyway.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
House Democrats’ coronavirus bill delayed as GOP pushes to include Trump proposals

The GOP objects to:
* Free coronavirus testing
* paid emergency medical bill
* extended unemployment insurance
* food assistance
* help for health care workers

What the GOP wants in:
* Payroll tax cut which equals to less money for Medicare which covers the elderly.
* Stimulus spending for oil and gas companies

Oh, and McConnell just announced that he wants the Senate to recess until March 23rd because, reasons.

So basically what you'd expect from the Republicans; a denial of the actual issue and a deliberate attempt to enrich the rich at the expense of the poor regardless of the consequences.
It was reported on the tradio here this morning as the Shengen Zone being affected - the unified centre of Europe that Russia does not like.

Instead of dealing with a crisis it's just some more legal cock-sucking.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Editorial by Sean Mallen (former Queen's Park correspondent and Europe bureau chief for Global News): carnival-show narcissism is dangerous in the face of COVID-19

Quote:The greatest successes of public health are the ones you never hear about. The flu bug that was not passed on because a sick person stayed in bed rather than going into work. The kids who did not contract measles, thanks to vaccinations.

In no other realm of public policy is effective, credible communication so crucial to our personal wellbeing. If I get the flu shot, thoroughly wash my hands or sneeze into my elbow, it is because someone I trust told me to do so.

As we face a global public health crisis with the coronavirus outbreak, we are seeing both the benefits of straight talk and the perils of self-serving evasiveness. The central tenets of crisis communications are never more pertinent: be truthful, empathetic, clear and responsible.

The column goes on to contrast two countries' responses to the crisis -- considering where I live and which thread I'm posting this to, it should be obvious which two.

Speaking of where I live: the Prime Minister of Canada has gone into quarantine, on the chance that his wife was exposed to COVID-19.

That means the most important national political meeting of the year (*) has been postponed, because somebody might be infected. Don't tell me you have to go to work with the sniffles -- the example being set is that you stay home if you're sick.

(*) The equivalent in the USA would be a working meeting between the President, all of the state and territorial Governors, and all of the Chiefs of the recognized tribes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, the GOP has wanted to blow up the system for a while. Congratulations, they succeeded.

And a high ranking asshole, I mean minister, has been confirmed as being down with Corvid-19, and has self-isolated. The jokes about sending him to the off-shore quarantine camps he played a major role in expanding have been flowing in.

Meanwhile, our Prime Minister is refusing to back cancelling public events and is going to the footy to prove it. The fact the cult he's a member of has a big expensive convention coming up is being taken as the main reason.
(03-12-2020, 05:57 PM)robkelk Wrote: Speaking of where I live: the Prime Minister of Canada has gone into quarantine, on the chance that his wife was exposed to COVID-19.
She's got it.

Which means he's in quarantine for two weeks ... despite showing no symptoms (yet).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
No, it wasn’t a dream: Every Disney theme park in the world is now closing.

All the disney parks are closed for at least two weeks.  The problem is that DL Shanghai and Hong Kong have already been closed for two weeks but there is no sign of them being able to re open any time soon.  So, how can we know that it will only be two weeks for the others?

Hell, if anything, the damage has already been done.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
And the news just gets better and better.  Testing of people in Hong Kong who recovered from the virus indicates some of them, perhaps as much as a quarter of the group, suffered lasting damage to their lungs, with a 20-30% loss of function.  Permanent?  That's unknown, yet.  The tested group is only twelve people so far, but this is still alarming.

Edit: And on a cheerier (well, no, actually snarkier) note, Washington Post columnist Alexandra Petri wrote 12 March:
Quote:On Wednesday, the president sat behind the Resolute Desk and addressed the nation with soothing and accurate words about the coronavirus. Unfortunately none of the accurate things he said were soothing, and none of the soothing things he said were accurate.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
(03-13-2020, 10:47 AM)DHBirr Wrote: And the news just gets better and better.  Testing of people in Hong Kong who recovered from the virus indicates some of them, perhaps as much as a quarter of the group, suffered lasting damage to their lungs, with a 20-30% loss of function.  Permanent?  That's unknown, yet.  The tested group is only twelve people so far, but this is still alarming.

Edit: And on a cheerier (well, no, actually snarkier) note, Washington Post columnist Alexandra Petri wrote 12 March:
Quote:On Wednesday, the president sat behind the Resolute Desk and addressed the nation with soothing and accurate words about the coronavirus. Unfortunately none of the accurate things he said were soothing, and none of the soothing things he said were accurate.

That is bad. Double if you have any respiratory conditions already.

Trump invokes the Palpatine maneuver:
Live updates: President Trump declares a national emergency in response to coronavirus

There's a possibility he's been exposed to - and might have it.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

There's the same possibility for Justin Trudeau and he's not being a total dick about it.

(03-13-2020, 04:42 AM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: And a high ranking asshole, I mean minister, has been confirmed as being down with Corvid-19, and has self-isolated. The jokes about sending him to the off-shore quarantine camps he played a major role in expanding have been flowing in.

Hey hey, I made the Corvid-19 joke already in the Crossovers That Should Not Be Thread.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(03-13-2020, 04:02 PM)Dartz Wrote: There's a possibility he's been exposed to - and might have it.

You know, of course, that if he develops symptoms he's going to scream that it's an assassination attempt by the Democrats.
-- Bob

(03-13-2020, 06:17 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 04:02 PM)Dartz Wrote: There's a possibility he's been exposed to - and might have it.

You know, of course, that if he develops symptoms he's going to scream that it's an assassination attempt by the Democrats.

Covfefid-19?

Also, I've sent more than one or two emails about things being delayed due to Corvids lately. I've started not fixing autocorrect just because it makes me smile each time.

Note; the Netherlands are now under a degree of lock down.

Rules as follow:
Stay at home if you have a nasal cold, coughing, sore throat or a fever. Avoid social contact. If symptoms worsen call your GP.
Any gathering of more than 100 people are cancelled. This includes musea, concerthalls, theaters and sporting events.
Do as much work at home as possible and spread labour hours as wide as possible when working from home is not possible.
For vulnerable groups; avoid large groups and public transport. For those around vulnerable groups, limit visits as much as possible.
Medical personnel and people in critical infrastructure; stay at home only if you have symptoms and fever. Much is asked of you to maintain these critical services in these circumstances, discuss your situation with your employer. Do not travel to other countries.
Colleges and universities are encouraged to provide as much online education as possible, this to avoid crowding lecture halls.

Pre-school and primary and secondary education facilities stay open. Pupils that have a cold must stay at home. This is to avoid upsetting their education, and risks of infection at these levels are decidedly lower.

Lockdown to stay in effect until 31st of March.

Total infected: 804. Hospitalized: 115. Deceased: 10. As yet, the situation is under control.
We're at 90 in the Republic, with anoiuther 29 in the North. 1 death - with a preexistic cognition, so the Corvid was just the straw that brok the back. Most are either travel-related, or related to existing cases. Very few are unknown 'community' cases - which is, I suppose - not a bad sign.

The Republic has closed public buildings, schools. Pubs are still open, of course. Most restaraunts are naturally empty. Most business is carrying on as normal. I'm in work. Deadlines are still being enforced on contracts. Chinese takeaways are struggling for business.

The North might aswell be the moon. The UK has its head in the stand. Cheltenham festival went ahead and there's a wave of carriers coming back from that. The official government approacxh over there is a properly Tory 'Some of your loved ones will die' type callousness typical of their libertarian ilk.