Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Encounters
RE: Random Encounters
(04-22-2020, 07:43 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: In those cases he was expecting different cultures and even knew of them due to his reading.  But he's a man from the United States from 1940-41 (the original five Shea works all take place within a year or two of each other, by his home timeline's calendar), where Doug originates almost sixty years later.  The cultural change in that period is enough that Doug might as well be an alien... Shea, upon learning that Doug is a college-educated American (para-)military officer is going to be expecting certain behaviors and attitudes common to a well-off white male of his time period that Doug will regard as antiquated or even borderline villainous.  And possibly vice-versa.  It's basically the Captain America cultural thing, flipped.

Shea would probably have less, given his exposure to the other worlds (which were expanded further by Christopher Pratchett after both Pratt and deCamp passed away), but you're very right, since Shea is, basically, of my grandparents' generation. The pop culture references alone would leave him dizzy.

Add to that, I suspect that Doug, both through the dissemination of public education and his own specialized training, would probably know enough psychology to know that some of Shea's assumptions about behavior and such are pretty much bullshit.

Still, though, meeting another dimensional wanderer would probably be a good brainstorming session. Especially if Shea's mentor, Reed Chalmers, who was a much more level-headed sort (as well as being a better wizard), was along for the ride.
(04-22-2020, 07:43 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: In those cases he was expecting different cultures and even knew of them due to his reading. But he's a man from the United States from 1940-41 (the original five Shea works all take place within a year or two of each other, by his home timeline's calendar), where Doug originates almost sixty years later. The cultural change in that period is enough that Doug might as well be an alien... Shea, upon learning that Doug is a college-educated American (para-)military officer is going to be expecting certain behaviors and attitudes common to a well-off white male of his time period that Doug will regard as antiquated or even borderline villainous. And possibly vice-versa. It's basically the Captain America cultural thing, flipped.

But at least they could bond over Bugs Bunny.
There is that, yes!
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I've no idea why it took me so long to think of this:

Miaowara Tomokato, the invincible Samurai Cat.  Watch for the little *Tilt* signs to appear in Doug's eyes when he realizes what he's dealing with.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Oh, my. I'm surprised Helen never suggested that. She was a big Samurai Cat fan, back in the day.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Considering Multidimensional Hy-jinks that have occurred I'm surprised that Doug hasn't run across Samurai Jack as he's trying to get home.
I think its more of a case of we haven't HEARD about it... Yet.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Someone else will have to write it as I don't know jack about Samurai Jack.
-- Bob

much too late (as always) but if you want a place to meet your travellers, there is Nights aka Xander's bar for interdimensional travellers
https://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-11757/Me...Barman.htm

And talking of bars brings up the memory of the bar for the last episode of quantum leap and on a different note the fateful cafe at the end of Sapphire and Steel.
Heh. I've had a Barman story half-written for the GGG crew for a couple years now...
-- Bob

just to go even more meta, though... why not callahans crosstime saloon? or even "the place"?
NO QUARTER!

Wherever he ends up in a crosstime saloon (My own vote would be for the Floating Vagabond) I have the perfect song to get him there:

What's behind the green link?

e: alternate possibility referenced in the above
--
‎noli esse culus
Meet the Narrator:
"Colonel Douglas Q. Sangnoir, a traveler to many worlds, a stranger in many strange lands, is about to learn that we already know his life story ... in the Twilight Zone."
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Heh.

By the way, there's a "Mary's Place" nanoStep. (That's the successor to Callahan's Place, for those who aren't familiar.) I know it's in the Brainstorming thread, and I think I's been moved to the nanoStep thread. I forget who wrote it, though.... it wasn't me.
-- Bob

Eventuallty Mary's Place winds up no more either, though with less of a bang about it; forcing the crew to move en mass to Key West where Jake winds up in charge of "The Place"... because it time!
NO QUARTER!

Actually, the nanoStep might be in "The Place", it's hard to tell from what little context is in it, as far as I can recall.
-- Bob

(05-26-2020, 11:29 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Actually, the nanoStep might be in "The Place", it's hard to tell from what little context is in it, as far as I can recall.

It mentions that it's in Key West, and Jake is the guy behind the bar, for what that's worth....

It's cited as "by Valles, with a couple of changes suggested by others".

-----
God made me an agnostic — who are you to question His wisdom?
Thanks. I shouldnt've been lazy and gone and looked. It's not like I don't have a local copy I can easily read.
-- Bob

<shrug>  I don't have a day job, or a night one, for that matter, so I had more than enough time on my hands ("It's tickin' away with my sanity")....
-----
How about the Winslow from various Phil Foglio works? Doug will probably be a little confused about the talking stuffed crocodile though
If I remember correctly There is a Super Genius Child (the kid could give a Heterodyne conniptions) about not quite in his Teens (still in grade school) by the name of, Barry Ween...
He does Time Travel, and the Occasional Side Universe.

Mind you the Scary one from that Series is Barry's friend/sidekick Jerry Who has a level of Acceptance of Abnormality measured in multiple digits. Not Mundanity, just that at some point he stopped reacting to things being casually weird as long as it's a relatively safe weirdness.
(03-26-2020, 10:20 AM)Ebony Wrote: One of the earlier world hoppers, and I think the first transliterary explorer, L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt's Harold Shea could easily be someone that Doug could run into. For added humor, Doug probably knows of Yngvi, and the fact that he is, as Harold knows, a louse.

(04-21-2020, 01:30 PM)Ebony Wrote: L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt's itinerant psychologist/adventurer, Harold Shea, would definitely be someone to cross paths with Doug. Harold's "syllogismobile" allows him to travel to different worlds of literature and myth through the use of symbolic logic and psychoanalysis.

Hey, has anybody suggested Harold Shea yet? Smile

Doug and Eimi meet Harold and Belphebe Shea ... in Harold's home universe, after "The Green Magician".

After changing universes so many times, Doug's no doubt got some pent-up frustration and despair. The only time that we saw him get any mental therapy (so far) was back in DW V, and Eimi joined Doug in his travels after DW X. Who better for Doug to consult than a psychologist who has first-hand knowledge of dimension travel?

Meanwhile, Eimi and Belphebe no doubt have much to teach each other about living in worlds that are so unlike their homes... and Bel might be able to give Eimi some pointers on how to be more stealthy in using those magnificent toys (mentioned in the already-released chapters of DW XIII) she picked up in that Shadowrun-style world.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
...why didn't I ever think of Harold Shea?

That's a great idea.
-- Bob

(03-25-2020, 04:50 PM)Duane Peters Wrote: The crew of the good vessel Gay Deceiver, from Heinlein's "The Number of the Beast-".

Speaking of Heinlein...

Oscar and Rufo, walking the Glory Road
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Another great idea. If I didn't have the major steps already locked down, I'd seriously consider adding that. As it is, a Steplet or nanoStep will have to do...
-- Bob