Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Conversion Therapy"? Not for much longer, in Canada.
"Conversion Therapy"? Not for much longer, in Canada.
No, this isn't about a name change.

Canadian federal government prepares to introduce nationwide conversion therapy ban

It'll be in the Criminal Code, not civil law.

My only question on this is "What took them so long?"

Quote:"Evidence demonstrates that this is a practice that does not work," said Minister of Diversity, Inclusion and Youth Bardish Chagger. "It's destructive, it's harmful and it should not exist."

During the 2019 federal election, the Liberal Party committed to bringing forward the changes in its platform, noting that the practice is "scientifically discredited."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: "Conversion Therapy"? Not for much longer, in Canada.
Thank god.
Don't think thanking god is correct here.

Or at least, no god those people who push for conversion therapy would worship.
Just the one they pretend to worship while ignoring all his teachings.
Update: The actual proposed amendments to the Criminal Code deal with subjecting minors to the "process", taking a minor out of the country to do the same thing, or to advertise it.

we're already hearing complaints based on religious freedom. Mind you, I'm not aware of anything in the Torah, Bible, or Koran saying anything about "conversion therapy", so I don't know how far that would go.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"You're oppressing our religious freedom by stopping us from torturing children!"

Assholes.
(blows dust off thread)

Yukon got tired of waiting for the federal law.

"Conversion therapy" is now banned in Yukon.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Nice. *Thumbs Up*
(03-09-2020, 06:44 PM)hazard Wrote: Don't think thanking god is correct here.

Or at least, no god those people who push for conversion therapy would worship.

I'm a Christian and I oppose it because it's torture disguised as anything but. If someone wants to stop being gay, that is a choice of free will, you cannot force someone to change that any more than you can stop black from being different from white. Sure, you could make it "work" under duress, but that's not really effective, it's just a cruel form of Pavlovian brainwashing.

If someone willfully wants to forsake the gay lifestyle and become a member of any faith that opposes homosexuality, amen, so long as that choice was made with open eyes and a clear conscience. Otherwise, whoever made the choice without their conscious and willful consent had their rights as a human being violated and I would be the first to oppose it.

Anyone of any religion, creed, or system of belief who believes torture is acceptable to impress their values on another human being is themselves a brutal hypocrite who deserves nothing but revulsion.
Pretty much what Geth said.

I forget if it was here in the Politics subforum or somewhere else, but I remember seeing a screenshot of a Tumblr post that talked about priests going over The Sermon on the Mount, or even reading it out, word for word.

Thing is, this is basically Christ's treatise about how people should be treating each other. You know, the usual stuff. Love your neighbor no matter what and all. Nothing at all about persecuting those of other faiths, skin colors, gender orientation, or whatever.

And what happened?

A dismaying number of people complained or even walked out entirely.

Please don't hold the rest of us accountable for the actions of some certain members of of the Christian faith. While there are some who do espouse these messages of hate and intolerance, those aren't our teachings, never have been, and never should be. In my eyes, those who would do evil unto their neighbors in the name of God are nothing more than cultists following Satan's ways, no matter what they may say to the contrary.
I believe I posted that in the Images thread.  let's see if I can find it... ah, here it is

[Image: txcqGs9.jpg]
(blows dust off thread)

Well, there's been an election since that bill was presented, so everything went back to stage one.

Good news: The bill to ban so-called "conversion therapy" just passed the House. Unanimously.

Now it goes to the Senate.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It fast-tracked in the Senate, too.

This is now the law of the land in Canada.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown