Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI
How do I delete a User page? Or, at least, get the spam link off of it?

I've already permabanned User:MSDFE
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Special:EditProfile -- and I saw what you were trying to do in Recent Changes and did it for you.

EDIT: Weren't you the one who turned that back on for admins when our Miraheze Overlords made it available again?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I am. Just because I flipped the switch doesn't mean I know how to make it work when it's running... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's simple. Go to the page. Enter the user name and submit. You'll be presented a page of fields corresponding to the parts of the user profile page. Delete whatever you want deleted. Save.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Is FlowMention now broken? I just pasted my usual block of CCs into a thread message and got "CC: , , , , ," when the message saved. Editing it again shows all the markup and names untouched.
-- Bob

I got the notification, assuming you're talking about this thread.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, that's it. Still looks like something is borked, though.
-- Bob

I just marked the only entry on this Image Links subpage as a dead link. (Yes, I checked the Wayback Machine first.) I couldn't find a suitable replacement for the image elsewhere, either.

Keep the page, or toss it?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Do we need it to point at the original image, or can we just pick a new target from Google Images? A quick search on the character name turned up a wealth of pics, although we'd probably want to search through them a bit to get something appropriate to "Gamer Chick".
-- Bob

Do we have any trope covering a summons to appear before a king?

EDIT: And do we have any trope(s) covering any manner of emergency retreat/bug-out?

Thanks.
-- Bob

(04-05-2020, 09:22 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Do we have any trope covering a summons to appear before a king?

EDIT:  And do we have any trope(s) covering any manner of emergency retreat/bug-out?

Thanks.
Don't know if you already have them, but I can think of example of each of those

For the Summons, there's the start of Shrek 2 where Shrek and Fiona get a royal message (complete with trumpets)

And for the bug out, Aliens "Marines, we are leaving!" after the first probe into the reactor plant building
I was thinking of examples myself before falling asleep last night; I suspect I'm going to have to write them up myself and put them in the Workshop.
-- Bob

Looks to me like we don't have either.

My check gives me a couple of lines for these new tropes, though - one each.

For the "summons to the crown" trope: When somebody shows up at court without being summoned, that's [[What's Up, King Dude?]]

For the "bug-out" trope:  Contrast with [[Last Stand]].
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<nod> Okay, if I get the time today I'll write up both and get them into the workshop.
-- Bob

Somebody wanted something added to the Style Guide... How's this?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I liked it when I looked at it from ATT, and I still like it from here. <grin> Especially with the note about asking you any questions.
-- Bob

You get enough questions and complaints, and I'm the default documentation writer. Why not route those questions to me?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Gah. TVGarbage has been behaving himself for the most part over the past month or so. He's been making small edits and deletes on YMMV, but has been limiting himself to Complete Monster entries for the latter, which plays into my own biases so I haven't been giving him grief for it, especially as he's giving reasonable justifications in the edit reasons. But he's just nuked over 2K of material from Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated/YMMV with no explanation. I've restored it and I'm afraid I'm going to have to give him that one-month ban I threatened him with on his talk page.
-- Bob

"How we handle bans around here" exists for a reason. Go for it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, I did. It's just that I'm an old softy who doesn't want people upset at him that I was regretting the need.
-- Bob

On another topic, we've got hundreds if not thousands of unused accounts autocreated by spambots over the years. Is there a tool we can use to clear out unused accounts?
-- Bob

Good question... and the "central login" functionality that Miraheze uses no doubt muddies the waters there.

I think we'll have to ask the Stewards for help here. But exactly what are we going to ask for?

I'd phrase the request as "Please delete all accounts older than $DURATION with zero edits." But what to replace $DURATION with? One year? Longer? Shorter?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Genuine users normally start editing within minutes. I'd say six months would be sufficient.
-- Bob

Why am I suddenly getting emails from the "friendly All The Tropes notification system" when someone has edited a page I've worked on? And why is this not an email alert option I can turn off in my Preferences?
-- Bob

Did you add the pages to your watchlist, by any chance? It's easy to check that box (or fail to clear it)...

My turn to toss something new into the Trope Workshop. Eight examples so far, but the description needs a bit of work.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown