Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI
I have a couple hundred pages in my watchlist, and none have ever generated letters. Come to think of it, though, it was only a couple emails, for a very brief window. I wouldn't be surprised if Miraheze threw a switch somewhere for a little while, then put it back.

As for your trope, I've already added several examples.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
On another topic entirely, does anyone have any idea why the Stewards might be ignoring us? Rob and I both put up Checkuser requests three days ago with no response even though subsequent requests on the Stewards' board have been dealt with.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Since you added your request to mine (and re-added to it) instead of making a separate request, they might be putting off the request until it's complete.

Next time, please file a separate request.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I am so tempted to add a joking "Not to be confused with" line referencing COVID-19 to this trope...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Looks like Miraheze got that enhanced search box working for us.

I like.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Is this a known bug, or do we have to report it?

The talk page in question is here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Two weeks, Rob? For that kind of vandalism I would have permabanned Anon-Austinis8.
-- Bob

Yeah, well, "All The Tropes:How We Do Bans Around Here" says "putting the entire wiki at risk" is a tempban-on-sight offence the first time, and that's all I could use to justify the ban.

Besides, I'm the "good" cop. Smile

EDIT: Topic started, asking for opinions on adding "vandalizing a content page" to the list of blockable offences.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, I dug out my bad cop hat and permabanned him on my own discretion.
-- Bob

On a happier topic, i was digging through the Espionage Tropes and realized that we have nothing that covers Dead Drops, Brush Passes, and similar hand-offs of intelligence.

Dammit. I want to write these to make sure they actually get made, but if I do, it steals time from writing other things...
-- Bob

(04-14-2020, 07:40 PM)robkelk Wrote: ...

EDIT: Topic started, asking for opinions on adding "vandalizing a content page" to the list of blockable offences.

I see we have consensus. "Blanking or otherwise massively vandalizing a content page" is now a permaban-on-sight offence.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just updated the "Overdosed Tropes" page.

Oh, look what's on the "Over 9000" list, at 10,510 links. (Actually, I don't mind - it's analogous to the situation that "Mary Sue" is in - but I know some other mods do mind. Since I don't mind, and I do have other projects on the go, I'm not doing anything about it.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Can I launch a Creator page that only has two tropes on it?

I don't want to set the wrong example, but is this the wrong example? (It would be if it was a Trope page.)

EDIT: And as soon as I ask that, the wiki goes 503... RE-EDIT: And the wiki's back. Make that three tropes.

RE-RE-EDIT: updated the URL.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, it's set a dangerous precedent for functionality the last few days. We couldn't be allowed to think we could just use the wiki whenever we wanted now, could we? <sigh>

EDIT: And it came back just after I wrote that. I've gone to look at the page, and yes, launch it.
-- Bob

Meh - got the page up to four tropes. Good enough to launch as a stub.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-14-2020, 09:05 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: On a happier topic, i was digging through the Espionage Tropes and realized that we have nothing that covers Dead Drops, Brush Passes, and similar hand-offs of intelligence.

Dammit.  I want to write these to make sure they actually get made, but if I do, it steals time from writing other things...

You know what we also don't have a trope page for, unless it's under a really counter-intuitive or cleverly punning name?  Jail Break.  There's a work by that name, but not a trope...
-- Bob

(04-17-2020, 12:31 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 09:05 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: On a happier topic, i was digging through the Espionage Tropes and realized that we have nothing that covers Dead Drops, Brush Passes, and similar hand-offs of intelligence.

Dammit.  I want to write these to make sure they actually get made, but if I do, it steals time from writing other things...

You know what we also don't have a trope page for, unless it's under a really counter-intuitive or cleverly punning name?  Jail Break.  There's a work by that name, but not a trope...

Think WWII movies for the esoteric name: Great Escape
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Thank you!
-- Bob

Every once in a while I discover a trope on Wikipedia.  Do we have mise en abyme yet?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
We cover it under the Droste effect... but maybe "mise en abyme" should be a supertrope to both that and "story in a story"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Speaking of finding tropes on Wikipedia, "breastaurant" doesn't appear to be listed in Category:Keep Abreast of This Index. Do we have it?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I doubt it; I'm sure I would've remembered seeing it.
-- Bob

This new guy Itasio is starting to get on my nerves. First he blanks a page entirely in the process of an obvious restructure, but doesn't replace it with anything immediately. Now he's uploaded something like half a megabyte of new pages as part of that restructure, without linking a single trope listed on them. And despite being pointed at our image upload requirements five days ago is starting to upload pics with no license info. I'm yea-close to banning him and undoing all his edits.
-- Bob

If he's had the warning about image licenses being legally required, and he's still uploading images without licenses, then IMHO you're good to go.

Uploading images without license statements puts the wiki at risk, right?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Since I did not explicitly tell him so, only pointed him at the relevant article on the wiki, I'm giving him at least a little benefit of the doubt. We'll see if he replies within the next two days.
-- Bob