Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Politics video madness
Politics video madness
Video 
I originally was going to put this in General/Video Madness, but then realized it does properly belong inside the Politics quarantine zone, and rather than a thread just for it I figured I might as well start one that other videos can be added to when they appear. I'll link to a few of the news satire shows' Youtube pages as well, since they're pretty much all about that in one way or another. Why political satire is important.

Rajvik (or any other Trump supporter) is specifically invited to add funny or informative material from your side of the campfire as well; being free to express dissenting opinions and point out the other side's bullshit is a critical component of a functioning democracy. (Whether we actually have one of those in the USA is not an uncommon subject for satirists, but so far that much is still kicking...)

P.S.: Please do take an extra few seconds to add a non-embedded link as well, for those of us who leave scripting off by default. All it takes is [url=(paste your link)(closing bracket)clickable text goes here[/url]

Links:
The Late show with Stephen Colbert
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

- - -

Jordan Klepper vs Trump supporters: "You don't even see the irony"

This is a clip compilation from the notably sensible funny anti-Trump Daily Show, trying (and failing) to use logic, facts, and their own reasoning to get through to Trump chumps. (Note the "and" in there Tongue) It's sad, yet hilarious.

non-embedded

Grab it while you can! Big Grin
--
‎noli esse culus
RE: Politics video madness
video not available in my country (Canada)
Sorry 'bout that. Not anything I can do. It's probably due to whichever network owns the Daily Show and/or the distribution contracts.
--
‎noli esse culus
a few days old, from the 23rd

So, apparently Trump's lawyers are firing off cease-and-desist letters to TV stations playing the above spot. They're not going to hold up under the First Amendment, but they don't need to, they just have to frighten enough outlets into silence. So it strikes me as a good idea to spread it around via alternative means.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
That sounds to me like it may be a SLAPP lawsuit waiting to happen.

(03-28-2020, 11:07 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

So, apparently Trump's lawyers are firing off cease-and-desist letters to TV stations playing the above spot.  They're not going to hold up under the First Amendment, but they don't need to, they just have to frighten enough outlets into silence.  So it strikes me as a good idea to spread it around via alternative means.

Have another:

--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I keep wanting one of the people at those press conferences to stand up, say, "That is a bald faced lie. X weeks ago you stood at that podium and said ___," and walk out... but I know they won't because it would be a career ending move for certain, and probably get their network blacklisted as well.
--
‎noli esse culus
(04-03-2020, 02:12 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: I keep wanting one of the people at those press conferences to stand up, say, "That is a bald faced lie. X weeks ago you stood at that podium and said ___," and walk out... but I know they won't because it would be a career ending move for certain, and probably get their network blacklisted as well.

Yeah, no one there wants to be the one to lose their jobs by actually doing their jobs. Which is part of what got us into this mess.
(04-03-2020, 03:37 AM)Matrix Dragon Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 02:12 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: I keep wanting one of the people at those press conferences to stand up, say, "That is a bald faced lie. X weeks ago you stood at that podium and said ___," and walk out... but I know they won't because it would be a career ending move for certain, and probably get their network blacklisted as well.

Yeah, no one there wants to be the one to lose their jobs by actually doing their jobs. Which is part of what got us into this mess.

No one wants to lose their job for an action that would change no one's mind.  I know we crave a movie-like, Joseph Welch resolution to this, but it can't work this time.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
There is a place for good journalism, and there is a place to make good money. Rarely they are the same place.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
John Oliver On Trump's Handling Of The Pandemic Response

“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg

The viral pandemic and the social pandemic

something that was mentioned in that clip: No ones has been allowed aboard the hospital ship?  Is that right?  Huh