Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 Check-in Thread
RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread
Still here. While we're tentatively (I think) in Phase 1 now, people still avoid public transportation a lot, prefer to avoid large groups, and generally keep to themselves. I wonder what the long-term psychological damage of all this will be, and how it'll manifest when you don't need to do this stuff anymore.
And cases are going up here in Victoria, so restrictions are getting tightened again. *Sigh*
(06-20-2020, 12:04 AM)Dragonflight Wrote: Still here. While we're tentatively (I think) in Phase 1 now, people still avoid public transportation a lot, prefer to avoid large groups, and generally keep to themselves. I wonder what the long-term psychological damage of all this will be, and how it'll manifest when you don't need to do this stuff anymore.

Phase 2, Stage 2 for us. Phase 2, Stage 1 for Toronto and Windsor.

And I'm seeing teens clustering again. They still haven't realized that they're (to quote Neil Peart) only immortal for a limited time.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
UGH. Don't even get me started on them. Went to the mall for the first time since they re opened. Yet the self centered teens would drift right by me, in their groups, inside the 6 feet *I* would be expected to maintain and neither noticed nor would have cared.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Eh, it's probably just arc fatigue - the writers dragged on this virus pandemic plot so long it got stale, until the network told them to move on to racial tension to salvage the ratings. It might get mentioned again in the season cliffhanger or next season premiere, or just be quietly shuffled out of continuity like that dumb thing with the giant murder-hornets or whatever it was. What junior high intern wrote that filler script anyway? /sarcasm
--
‎noli esse culus
Oh, yes - I've been told to expect to continue working from home until next April. Here's hoping things are cleared up before that...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Unfortunately, it seems the writers have enough integrity not to pull punches when it comes to the verisimilitude of stories about diseases.

An entirely new, never before seen disease? They're still looking for an effective treatment of the disease beyond just dealing with the symptoms, while even rushing through the process of creating a vaccine as they are said to be in the background the earliest potential deployment of any vaccine to the general public rather than in limited clinical trials is next year. Same thing for any medication really.
Still here. Just got a tricycle so I won't have to depend on public transit quite so much, and also so I'll get more exercise. I'm waiting on a lock before I put it together.
(06-20-2020, 12:07 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Eh, it's probably just arc fatigue - the writers dragged on this virus pandemic plot so long it got stale, until the network told them to move on to racial tension to salvage the ratings. It might get mentioned again in the season cliffhanger or next season premiere, or just be quietly shuffled out of continuity like that dumb thing with the giant murder-hornets or whatever it was. What junior high intern wrote that filler script anyway? /sarcasm
The Murder Hornets were just a filler episode.  Big Grin
Big Grin 
Inquisitive Raven Wrote:Still here. Just got a tricycle so I won't have to depend on public transit quite so much, and also so I'll get more exercise. I'm waiting on a lock before I put it together.

A tricycle? You must mean something other than what came to mind. Although, that would be a funny image, I'm sure. [Image: biggrin.png]
Probably something like this:

Google image search

I've been thinking about one myself, actually, living about a mile of flat road from the grocery store, bank, and post office. and being in need of exercise. Creeping agoraphobia, disinterest in touring around looking at trees etc., and prior experience with "I'll buy this thing and not be bored plus get fit! It'll be great!" schemes are the main counts against.
--
‎noli esse culus
They're handy things to have in warmer climates than ours, especially with a cargo basket in the back. Go grocery shopping and get some exercise at the same time.

Speaking of our area: Toronto's moving into phase 2, joining most of the rest of Ontario. Windsor's still in phase 1 - not because it's South Detroit, but because of an outbreak among migrant farm workers.

Oh, and I'm still alive.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Still here. Been a crazy week or so. Shops are open again so long as you wear a mask, and restaurants are starting to reopen, mostly with widely-separated tables and as much outside as possible.

Ugly dental issues have left me on a very limited diet -- I basically can't chew anything more substantial than bread -- so I'm having fun with smoothies.
Current favorite recipe: 1 banana, 5 ice cubes, 1/2 cup each peanut butter, plain greek yogurt, and skim milk, a tablespoon of honey, and a generous handful of spinach leaves. You don't taste the spinach at all, although it does give the whole thing something of a greenish tinge.

Second choice replaces the PB with a handful of berries. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries... nice mix.

On one hand, monotonous as hell. On the other, I'm losing a lot of weight. As in, I just stood up and my pants slid right off my hips.

And I've been getting some painting done. Got a squad of Sohei Monks for Test of Honour going.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
If you are losing a lot of weight it's because you aren't replacing the calories you are burning. Please get your teeth looked at soon.

I mean, there's a difference between 'I appreciate being slimmer' and 'starving to death because I can't eat enough due to my dental issues', but that difference is largely how far into your body's reserves you are digging.
Yeah, ECS, unless your area has basically told dentists they can't do a single thing, this qualifies as "emergency worthy of a visit", since it's effecting your overall health. I can understand the whole "I'm losing a lot of weight I really should have been losing" in relation to body image, but if you've lost all that in two months, that's not a healthy speed of weight loss.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Oh, I already have appointments scheduled, it's just that they're packed tight with all the stuff that's been put off because of quarantine. I see the periodontist on July 9 and that's just the initial consult. We're basically going to see if the places that need it are solid enough bone to support implants.

But it's still going to be some time after that before I can get back on a normal diet.

As for losing weight... look. When this started I weighed in at 390 and was almost as big around as I am tall.

I would be very glad to lose as much of that as possible.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Covid's cost me one tooth already, with another filling tomorrow because the dentist knocked it out when taking the wisdom tooth out. So I sympathise.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
I continue to be well.
(I think we will need another thread soon, this one is approaching 300 posts.)
(06-23-2020, 12:36 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: Oh, I already have appointments scheduled, it's just that they're packed tight with all the stuff that's been put off because of quarantine. I see the periodontist on July 9 and that's just the initial consult. We're basically going to see if the places that need it are solid enough bone to support implants.

But it's still going to be some time after that before I can get back on a normal diet.

As for losing weight... look. When this started I weighed in at 390 and was almost as big around as I am tall.

I would be very glad to lose as much of that as possible.

Even so, there's a such thing as losing it too fast, regardless of where you've started and where you feel like you want to be. And what you've got happening should be taking priority over delayed cleanings, honestly.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
No change in my status.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Back in the lab. Ocassionally getting bit by the lab mice (no superpowers as yet).
It's not just the teenagers who think they are immortal. I've seen a bunch of middle aged and older people who refuse to wear a face covering in public. With lots of whining on how my employer hasn't opened up our limited seating area for dine in. Are people trying to nominate themselves for Darwin Awards?
"Some people are the apple of your eye. Others are just a pie in your face. Apples, maaan. Stick with them." -- Pascal (Animal Crossing: New Horizons)
(06-22-2020, 07:54 PM)Dragonflight Wrote:
Inquisitive Raven Wrote:Still here. Just got a tricycle so I won't have to depend on public transit quite so much, and also so I'll get more exercise. I'm waiting on a lock before I put it together.

A tricycle? You must mean something other than what came to mind. Although, that would be a funny image, I'm sure. [Image: biggrin.png]
I mean this one specifically:

I've taken to referring to it as my "Old Lady Cycle." In fact, I plan to put that on the frame in reflective tape. Basically, I got it in recognition of the fact that my flexibility ain't what it used to be, and I was far too worried about killing myself getting off a bicycle to want to take chances.
Still around. Second job opened back up, but upper management didn't contact any of the staff until 3 days after the fact, and no one's been given a schedule.
And with that I close the thread. A new one has been started.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....