Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 & US healthcare system - thread relapse
RE: COVID-19 & US healthcare system - thread relapse
Wow. Just... wow. At least the Governor of the Bank of Canada is willing to state publicly that he has no idea where the economy's going this year.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Faith is not enough to protect you from Covid19
You know, there's this thing I like to tell other devout Christians.

The history of humanity in the Bible isn't unlike how a human child is raised. Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden was infancy - the garden itself was the nursery.

When Adam and Eve got cast out, that was humanity going from a nursery into a bedroom.

The flood that Noah's Arc rode out was our baptism.

Sodom and Gomorrah was a good paddling we got for doing things we shouldn't be doing.

Big Brother Jesus eventually came along and made a deal with us: he'll take the heat from dad, but we gotta tell dad whenever we messed up.

And then ever since then, we've pretty much been left to our own devices.

We're supposed to be big boys and girls right now. Sure, talking to Dad is a great thing - we've all gotta keep up our relationship to him. But you can't expect him to solve all of your problems. We're supposed to be doing that ourselves now.

And you don't want him to come down here to fix this mess. Because if he has to, he ain't gonna be happy. And the first ones he'll come after are those who lead others astray in His name, and then those who persecute others in His name.

-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Being an atheist, my response to the faithful saying 'God will protect me' has always been 'sure, but God probably would like it if you made the job easier by doing what you can to protect yourself too. If only to free up a bit of time and attention he no longer needs to spend on you and can expend on somebody else who needs it and doesn't have the option to protect themselves'.
Three Bible quotes (using the World English Bible translation for all three):

Proverbs 13:4: The soul of the sluggard desires, and has nothing, but the desire of the diligent shall be fully satisfied.
Matthew 4:7: Jesus said to him, "Again, it is written, 'You shall not test the Lord, your God.'"
1 Timothy 5:8: But if anyone doesn't provide for his own, and especially his own household, he has denied the faith, and is worse than an unbeliever.

Put the necessary work into protecting yourself and your family, and don't expect God to protect you.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
The assholes pushing for the easing of restrictions in the name of 'freedom'.

The rightwing groups behind wave of protests against Covid-19 restrictions

Let's see. We got:
  • Proud Boys
  • conservative armed militia groups
  • religious fundamentalists
  • anti-vaccination groups
  • Michigan Trump Republicans
  • Michigan Freedom Fund, a group linked to Trump cabinet member Betsy DeVos.
  • funds linked to the Koch brothers such as Donors Capital Fund, and Castle Rock, a foundation seeded with part of the fortune of Adolph Coors, the rightwing beer magnate.
very salt of the earth types.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Related to previous:
https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/125117...82241?s=20
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
What happens when one of those gun-nuts has a fucking accident? A load of easily-riled armed morons with itchy trigger fingers, a load of easily-riled uniformed armed morons with itchy trigger fingers, and a sudden loud noise - that's a recipe for a bloodbath.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(04-17-2020, 01:15 PM)Dartz Wrote: What happens when one of those gun-nuts has a fucking accident?  A load of easily-riled armed morons with itchy trigger fingers, a load of easily-riled uniformed armed morons with itchy trigger fingers, and a sudden loud noise - that's a recipe for a bloodbath.

Well, they managed to avoid having a school shooting for an entire month (Because the schools were shut down), so the USA is overdue for an idiot with a gun.
Governor Abbott Issues Executive Order Establishing Strike Force To Open Texas

Texas is getting preparations underway to lift the quarantine. We'll see how that goes.

Meanwhile in Jacksonville beaches have been reopened.
Jacksonville to reopen beaches - with limitations Mayor Lenny Curry sees efforts to flatten the curve paying off

And you thought all the Jaws Mayor jokes were accurate before now...
On more positive news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDghVTMv1mA

I was feeling a bit down this morning and the Youtube algorithm popped up with this. I found it to be a Godsend, so I'm sharing here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNu1cdISsvY

Of course, the people who will take exception to this will say, "Nuh-uh, this is totally different" without offering any real rebuttal.    

Between the virus and humanity, people like these make me think I'm cheering the wrong side.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1251526650279452672

https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/12513557...16738?s=20

https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/12512674...31234?s=20

https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/12512591...95904?s=20

(04-18-2020, 12:26 PM)Norgarth Wrote:

Trump should be careful. He is skirting the definition of treason per Article 3:

US Constitution, Art. 3, Section 3 Wrote:Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

The United States is not at war, and has not been since 1945.  The treason clause doesn't apply to any person under the age of 92.  gb2 law school n00b.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
https://twitter.com/mannynyt/status/1251...13602?s=21

I expect they are carrying this card in their wallets:

I expect they are carrying this card in their wallets:

[/quote]
Why would they carry one of those? as fervent Trump supporters, hypocrisy is one of their greatest strengths.
... Trump really wants to kill New York, doesn't he?
J. Random Republican Wrote:“Why do all of these unfunded upper-class tax cuts force a principled fiscal watchdog like me to keep voting for them?”
The Rush to Austerity Begins

Here’s a tip, applicable to deficit spending, healthcare, anything: look at Republicans do when they actually have power, rather than what they claim to support when they don’t. You have a much better chance of leaving the table with some money that way.

And what happens when you rely on your job for health insurance and suddenly there is no job due to SARS-COV-2?
First, the coronavirus pandemic took their jobs. Then, it wiped out their health insurance.

But at least they have their freedom, right?

The freedom to die.
With Trump facing crisis, US warns rivals not to seek advantage
https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB12VdjS?m=en-us&ocid=News

Real smart. Just chum the water you are already in.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children