Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 & US healthcare system - thread relapse
RE: COVID-19 & US healthcare system - thread relapse
Unfortunately, with all the COVIDiots out there (here’s your form ID-10T, sir), the virus is getting all the breaks it needs.
(05-15-2020, 03:32 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: (here’s your form ID-10T, sir)

Oi!  Stop cloning my device name(s)!!!

Apparently, though CV-19 is *someones* (if it WAS created) new version of Soylent green.  Not sure how valid his sample size was and or if it was deaths, or just infection rates, but my nephew was quoting something about 46% percent of nursing homes.

Fortunatly, there is that whole meat packing issue going on as well; so if someone's idea WAS for 'long pork'.  And those folk are kinda tough and stringy anyway.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Does that matter for burgers and other minced meats?
Hey, Trump ordered our sausage factories back to work because that's what we expect from our wurst responders.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I'm sure we'll all be glad to know that Hitler was NOT a white supremacist ... at least, according to a lawmaker in the state that gave us Sarah Palin ('nuff said!).

Washington Post readers commented in amazement at this stunning revelation:

Quote:Aardvark Avenger wrote: This guy sounds like he comes from the Steve King school of Nazi apologism. 
"Hitler did some bad things, but can you really blame him?" is what they are saying essentially.
Alaska has some low standards for elected officials if they don't toss this moron out.  Then again they did elect Sarah Palin, and Don Young has been embarrassing the state for almost 50 years in the House.

Badger in CO responded: Thank you Alaska, I was afraid that Saturday was going to come and go without my daily Republican's re-setting their bar of stupidity or vacuous morality lower. My belief that the GOP has no bottom has been re-affirmed. Chuckie Koch must be so proud that he pays for these meat puppets to demonstrate that you just can't fix stupid. Does Chuck have a t-shirt that he wears to Republican gatherings that says "I'm with Stupid, and Stupid, and Stupid, and Stupid..." ?

cbl55 replied: I wouldn’t have thought it possible for a living soul to really be this dumb, but then again, we are living in the age of the Orange Miasma.

nanouk answered: In the 1930s, a great many German people lived in a delusional world created by Nazi propaganda. As a result, they were willing to attack their neighbors, massacre Jews and commit countless atrocities.
Today, a great many Republicans live in a delusional world created by right-wing media. It is no big surprise that they are then willing to voice dangerous nonsensical opinions, occupy state assembly buildings, threaten journalists and anyone who disagrees with them and stands up for facts and humanity. Do we really have to wait for them to go even further down the rabbit hole? Deluded people are a threat to all others. November can't arrive fast enough!

"The Farce is strong in this one."
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
4th USDA Inspector Dies From Coronavirus Amid Meat Plant Outbreaks
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(05-16-2020, 09:37 AM)Star Ranger4 Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 03:32 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: (here’s your form ID-10T, sir)

Oi!  Stop cloning my device name(s)!!!

Apparently, though CV-19 is *someones* (if it WAS created) new version of Soylent green.  Not sure how valid his sample size was and or if it was deaths, or just infection rates, but my nephew was quoting something about 46% percent of nursing homes.

Fortunatly, there is that whole meat packing issue going on as well; so if someone's idea WAS for 'long pork'.  And those folk are kinda tough and stringy anyway.

Nursing homes in Canada are being hit about that hard, too. That's kicked off a discussion about how we as a country treat our elders ... and, without anything new coming along to crowd the issue out of the headlines, it's a discussion that we're actually having.

A very small minority are questioning whether there's a moral basis to the concept of for-profit healthcare. The fact that we can actually raise moral issues about anything at the moment is, in my humble opinion, encouraging - as long as we can actually have the discussion and reach a consensus.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(05-17-2020, 01:11 PM)robkelk Wrote: Nursing homes in Canada are being hit about that hard, too. That's kicked off a discussion about how we as a country treat our elders ... and, without anything new coming along to crowd the issue out of the headlines, it's a discussion that we're actually having.

As well as it should be a discussion. It may require reworking the work/life balance for some people if it's identified that there's a need to try to spread it out and keeping people in private homes longer, for instance (since working full time doesn't leave time to deal with someone who needs day to day help and also care for themselves)... it's not a simple problem to tackle even if we didn't have a pandemic. I count myself lucky that my parents, in their late 60s now, are still more than capable of complete independence.

(05-17-2020, 01:11 PM)robkelk Wrote: A very small minority are questioning whether three's a moral basis to the concept of for-profit healthcare. The fact that we can actually raise moral issues about anything at the moment is, in my humble opinion, encouraging - as long as we can actually have the discussion and reach a consensus.

All you need to do is look to us in the U.S., and that answers the question; there shouldn't be ANY room for for-profit healthcare on a purely moral basis given how quickly it can devolve into "if you can afford to pay, it's OK, and even then we'll insure that your health problem will make it impossible to do anything else financially because we view even the unavoidable health issues to be completely and utterly avoidable or at least that you need to make sure you can afford to have it happen to you." (Note: that's a bit of an oversimplification but seems to be the way the Republicans have been effectively treating it.) I could actually argue that there's a range of things that there should be no room at all for the for-profit models, all of them that would be considered "essential services", like food basics. The free market is HORRIBLE for such things, we have too many "essential" industries that have devolved down to too few choices to really control the providers sufficiently.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
(05-17-2020, 01:11 PM)robkelk Wrote: A very small minority are questioning whether there's a moral basis to the concept of for-profit healthcare. The fact that we can actually raise moral issues about anything at the moment is, in my humble opinion, encouraging - as long as we can actually have the discussion and reach a consensus.

In the country where healthcare is a business people are the currency.

Saying that universal healthcare "It's unaffordable" is, in the context of the wealthiest country on earth, a statement of priority, not of capability.

Every time.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Anything infrastructure should not be left in the hands of for profit organisations, and health care is among the list of things that are infrastructure.

That does not necessarily mean that such things should be provided for free, many mass transit companies for example are owned by government entities and charge fare and there's nothing wrong with that. But they should be operated with an eye towards getting a result that is not just 'stockpile as much money as possible'. If that means the company only covers its cost as it serves millions of people a day? Well, that is not failure state for infrastructure.

It only needs to cover its construction and maintenance costs over the course of its life, and that only if the people decide that it's not part of their contract for the purchase of government services and thus covered under taxes.
Sci-Show discusses if SARS-Cov-2 has mutated, if there are different strains already, what those mutations may mean and how it may or may not affect the spread of the virus.

Trump, taking that hydroxychloquine stuff

1 a day.

Of course, he's still alive, what have you got to lose?

Fuck me that's thick.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Note: Says he's taking hydroxychloroquine is not the same as takinghydroxychloroquine.
Given how the WH's medical staff are apparently testing him for COVID every few days, I doubt they'd be letting him take an untested miracle cure for something he doesn't even have. So he's either lying, or just ignoring the people trying to keep him from getting sick...

Both are plausible.
Oh for fucks sake.

Trump threatens to withdraw all USA funding for WHO.

Global crisis, over 90,000 dead in the USA, and Trump goes after the organisations actually trying to be productive. 

Although I will give him credit elsewhere. He suckered our PM into leading the charge for large-scale investigations into Chinas responsibility for COVID. Our PM, being a crude instrument and hilariously gullible to certain types of con men (church cults, coal miners and QAnon are his favourites), botched it to the point the Chinese government today announced an 80% tariff on Barley imports from Australia. Our farmers just got fucked, and the trade agreement the USA has with China makes them a great candidate for replacing us.
California announced a $500 economic stimulus payment intended to benefit undocumented migrants and illegal aliens living in California.  Basically, we noticed that they all got left out of the earlier payments by Congress, which is a little bit of an oversight.  The program could also go to US citizens as well, because anyone married to a foreign citizen is completely ineligible for economic stimulus payments.

Mitch McConnell, majority leader Wrote:Another round of checks for illegal immigrants. Can you believe it? We forgot to have the Treasury Department send money to people here illegally. My goodness, what an oversight. Thank goodness Democrats are on the case.

You're welcome, sir.  I happy we can do something to help our fellow Christians survive this crisis.

There is one catch.  If an undocumented accepts this money, in a state program intended to serve them, the federal government can declare them to be a "public charge", which is grounds to be deport immediately.  So it's quite a huge risk to collect government benefits one is entitled to.
Donald Trump tells Americans on live TV he is taking Hydroxychloroquine after checking with WH doctor.

Trump says he was amazed to discover that the pills come in grape, cherry and orange flavors and resemble Dino, Fred and Barney.

Ehm, at least one of those things happened, but I'm not so sure about the other one.
Oh right, yous all spell cheque wrong. That took me a moment.

Even more amusing was the radio here this morning - with US Citizens who had 'fled' the current administration merrily receiving their Covid cheques anyway - which devolved into a shitshow worthy of US talkshows. Everywhere the Trump name is mentioned - it turns into a shitshow.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
... Human Capital Stock.

Fucking WOW
(05-25-2020, 05:09 PM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: ... Human Capital Stock.

Fucking WOW

Wake up, sheeple!

Seriously Hassett, you're not supposed to break capitalist kayfabe like that.
Talking to Alabama beachgoers
I ran the numbers again.

The population of the United States of America is approximately 9 times as large as the population of Canada. Both countries share the same continent, have similar border controls in place, and have the same access to testing; you won't find any two countries with more similar conditions, not counting the political response in each country.

According to Wikipedia, as of May 28, Canada has had 88,468 cases and 6,873 deaths.

By simple math - multiply the Canada numbers by 9 - the United States of America would have had 796,212 cases and 61,857 deaths if the USA was practising the same pandemic prevention measures as Canada.

According to Wikipedia, as of May 28, the United States of America has had 1,746,585 cases with 102,391 deaths.

Twice as many cases and one-and-a-half times as many deaths, adjusted for population.

Somebody in the USA is doing something that's killing Americans.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That assumes Canada and the US are comparable that way.  We're different people.  For instance you have French Canadians up there.  The French nasalize their words, thus spreading less virus particles than loud-mouthed Americans.  That's probably true or something.

Is it the Democrats' fault?  Most of the deaths are in their states.  Is it the Republicans' fault? Trump is in charge of disease control and prevention.

Meanwhile, as I type, protestors and police are turning Minneapolis into the Maul of America.  Maybe the biggest difference is that Canadians don't believe that half your countrymen are trying to destroy your freedom?
That last one could be it, yes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown