Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's up with the forum background?
What's up with the forum background?
It's filled with repeated "The image you are requesting does not exist or is not available" messages.  Dozens of them
RE: What's up with the forum background?
I think those were supposed to be covered by the forum snow.

(not seeing this error; macOS/Firefox aurora)
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Honestly, Norgath, I have no idea what you're referring to, either. The forum software doesn't utilize an image background -- it's a simple color setting in the styling for the page.

Just to be sure, I just checked on multiple browsers. I access the forums through Seamonkey on my personal machine, and I have Brave, Opera, Edge, Firefox, IE and Chrome on my work machine (can you tell I'm a web developer?). None of them show any such error messages. Whatever's happening, I think it's local to you.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
And there's no image background on the default skin, either.

Norgarth, you might want to check whether your browser version is up to date, and whether you have any extensions that you don't remember installing. (If you do have any unfamiliar extensions, then you might want to check whether your antivirus software is also up to date - after you remove the extensions.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(04-17-2020, 08:20 AM)robkelk Wrote: And there's no image background on the default skin, either.

Norgarth, you might want to check whether your browser version is up to date, and whether you have any extensions that you don't remember installing. (If you do have any unfamiliar extensions, then you might want to check whether your antivirus software is also up to date - after you remove the extensions.)

I can confirm what Norgarth is seeing.
I saw it first yesterday on the other box I have, which I had not used to access the forum before.
Then I went back to my normal machine, and when I did not see the issue I forced a page refresh.
And voila, there it was.

Both browsers were/are FireFox. I am on Linux.

I suspect that everybody not seeing the issue has all the necessary images in their browser cache.

Link to pic taken with phone a few minutes ago: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4U9GrBHRWBeHnTq27
Check source on that.

I just did a ctrl-u, then a ctrl-f and found no reference to imgur. That's on SanFelix theme

Edit: It affects the 'Simple' theme. There's two files on imgur that's linked and itheyve been deleted.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(04-17-2020, 08:04 PM)Dartz Wrote: Check source on that.

I just did a ctrl-u, then a ctrl-f and found no reference to imgur. That's on SanFelix theme

Edit: It affects the 'Simple' theme. There's two files on imgur that's linked and itheyve been deleted.

Checking my theme setup. I am indeed on "Simple".
Switching to SanFelix and Issue is gone.
I liked "Simple", nice black text on white background.
Default and MyIPB are ok too, and similar enough to simple. Now on default. Good enough.
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing aku. I'm sorta glad it's not just me, cause my computer literacy isn't far past the 'See Spot run' level ;P
I wouldn't have any idea how to fix it.
Found a thread in the MyBB support community reporting something similar. He didn't say what theme it was but did say a reinstall fixed it. So, something else queued up now.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
The Simple theme seems to have all sorts of issues with it. Gods know I've complained about it enough in the past although I haven't bothered looking at it following the last couple of updates. Meh, I like San Felix and plan on sticking with it.
Since I can't find an update to Simple newer than three years old, I'm growing inclined to simply disable it. It beginning to look like its creator has abandoned it, or has left the net entirely.
-- Bob

Looks like I should just get off my ass and change the board style in my options...

*few minutes later, I have finally found the relevent location to do such* ;p
We still have five people using it, so I've put up a banner with a notice that I'll be disabling it on Saturday.
-- Bob

You should be able to change what theme you're using at the bottom right corner of any page, I'm pretty sure. This page for sure.
--
‎noli esse culus
Yes, the theme can be changed from any page that way, even the forum listings.
-- Bob

cool, hadn't noticed that.
(04-22-2020, 06:12 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: You should be able to change what theme you're using at the bottom right corner of any page, I'm pretty sure. This page for sure.
Except, of course, the Simple theme. That's one of the details of the theme that I complained about ages ago, and I just double-checked to see if it's still true. Looks like it is.

So, if you're using the Simple theme and want to change it to something else, you're going to have to go to the user control panel to do it.
and that would explain why I had never noticed it before 8P
Apparently, that was one of the "complicated" features left out to make it "simple". <sigh>
-- Bob

D'oh. Do we have the :picard: emoji here?

e: Apparently not. Oh well...

[Image: xt3EUgg.png]
--
‎noli esse culus
In these days, when a UI proclaims "simple", I just automatically assume that the vast majority of the important features are going to be hidden behind submenus or buried in configuration windows or otherwise have to be hunted for instead of cleanly presented to the user, because it was "simpler" for the developer to do it that way. And so-called "clean" UIs are actually "simple" in that regard.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor