Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A random passage
A random passage
I was cleaning up some piles of paper in the room we call our "library" (where most of our books and the tower computer live) and I found a couple pads of lined paper with notes and whatnot for DW on them.  The following was on the first sheet of the topmost pad.  I don't remember when I wrote it, or why.  I don't have anything plotted out where this would naturally slot in...  so I decided to share it here and now.

Quote:I've been at Woodstock a dozen times on a dozen different Earths.  I've been to the Cellar in Berlin to see the birth of the Beatles almost as often.  I've shared a beer with Jerry Lee Lewis, a toke with Jimi Hendrix, and a ham sandwich with Cass Elliot.  In one timeline I saved Janis Joplin's life, and in two others I was the one to find her body.  I've stolen Kurt Cobain's shotgun and the ignition wires from a single-engine plane one cold February morning.  I've punched Don Kirschner in the nose.  I've been a member of the Memphis Mafia three times; I've sparred with Elvis, and been fired by him, and just once saved his life.  Billy Joel, Fiona Apple and John Lennon have all written songs about me in one timeline or another.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: A random passage
(04-18-2020, 09:09 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I've stolen Kurt Cobain's shotgun and the ignition wires from a single-engine plane one cold February morning. 
Well that went and raised the hairs on the back of my neck, and that's a harder task than usual given how long it's been since I've seen a barber given the current situation so well done.
-Now available with copious trivia!
That kinda feels like it's either a half rant or a sad remembrance. Too me it feels like it should be in one of the first chapters of a sequel to the walk or just aa private moment with his wife once he's gotten home.
(04-18-2020, 09:09 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I was cleaning up some piles of paper in the room we call our "library" (where most of our books and the tower computer live) and I found a couple pads of lined paper with notes and whatnot for DW on them.  The following was on the first sheet of the topmost pad.  I don't remember when I wrote it, or why.  I don't have anything plotted out where this would naturally slot in...  so I decided to share it here and now.

Quote:I've been at Woodstock a dozen times on a dozen different Earths.  I've been to the Cellar in Berlin to see the birth of the Beatles almost as often.  I've shared a beer with Jerry Lee Lewis, a toke with Jimi Hendrix, and a ham sandwich with Cass Elliot.  In one timeline I saved Janis Joplin's life, and in two others I was the one to find her body.  I've stolen Kurt Cobain's shotgun and the ignition wires from a single-engine plane one cold February morning.  I've punched Don Kirschner in the nose.  I've been a member of the Memphis Mafia three times; I've sparred with Elvis, and been fired by him, and just once saved his life.  Billy Joel, Fiona Apple and John Lennon have all written songs about me in one timeline or another.

But I never thought I'd get the chance to hear the Wyld Stallyns first live concert.

-----Two hours later----

I wish I'd never gotten the chance to hear the Wyld Stallyns first live concert.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
But has he ever been to Town-meadows, Rochdale, on Valentine's Day of 1843, to see Pablo Fanque's Circus Royal present their grandest night of the season, being for the benefit of Mr. Kite?
Or managed to see the first (and only) performance of Springtime for Hitler?
While we're suggesting historical (or "historical") theatre performances for Doug to take in, how about Don Juan Triumphant?
--
‎noli esse culus
He is ... the Most Interesting Loon in the Worlds.

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer 307 Ale — despite what it does to my improbability field.  Stay soused out of your skulls, my friends."
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
I saw Bob Marley shoot the sheriff — and I was the deputy!
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Don't make me laugh. I'm supposed to be working now!

Edit: But some of those are awesome suggestions. Pablo Fanque's Fair and Don Juan Triumphant, for instance, would both be great things to write stories around.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
To say nothing of seeing Gossamer Axe co-headline with Eddi and the Fey. And perhaps dealing with the fallout of Nazgul's last show.
... It's probably a detail from DW2 long forgotten, but Gossamer Axe is a real act in Warriors World...
-- Bob

(04-20-2020, 08:14 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Don't make me laugh.  I'm supposed to be working now!

Edit:  But some of those are awesome suggestions.  Pablo Fanque's Fair and Don Juan Triumphant, for instance, would both be great things to write stories around.

Presenting a limited engagement of Don Juan Triumphant, with Sumire Kanzaki as Don Juan, Sakura Shinguji as Don Giovanni, Kanna Kirishima as Il Commendatore, ... Smile

"No, no, no! I was there! Don Giovanni didn't act like that at all!"

Sumire turned on her heel and glared at me until I stopped talking. Then she answered my complaint with, "What happened in reality, whichever reality you were in at the time, does not necessarily make for good drama. Kindly stop interfering with our rehearsal, Sangnoir-san."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
On the other hand, if you treat it as a (slightly) dramatized reproduction of actual events that's an entirely valid criticism.