Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discord Server
Discord Server
Hey Bob.  I went and done it.  I made a Discord Server for the general use of the fine folks here, or anyone else that shares our eclectic set of interests.

Here's the invite link.  It comes with the caveat that it's only a temporary invite unless you're assigned a role on the server.  Otherwise you'll get kicked when you disconnect.

xhttps://discord.gg/KyTDPX (Link invalid - see below for new invite link)

I haven't done anything yet - for that, I'd like to get some input from everyone that wants in on it.

EDIT: I've updated the invite link so you won't be auto-kicked the moment you look away from the channel.  However, you'll be relegated to a single channel, named in honor of Ralph Von Wau Wau,  until I can verify you're not a bot and grant you a role to access the rest of the server.
RE: Discord Server
For everyone's info - if you click the link and navigate away from the tab it boots you immediately. It's helpful that way

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
I've tried three times, but the confirmation email isn't reaching my inbox...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I don't use Discord that much. The only problem I can think of is a Spam filter somewhere - but that's probably your first thought. I had a silent filter once on my university email, where it daisychains to my private so I still have to check my old university mail address to see if it's gone there.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
I turned the spam filter off between the second and third tries.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I just checked it out, and apparently Discord doesn't like Spamgourmet email addresses. Since as a rule I don't use my real email address except with friends and in business relationships I started before I found Spamgourmet, I guess I won't be making any kind of permanent account.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
That’s going to make it difficult for you to be a regular in the server because I intend to set it up so spam bots can’t get in beyond a “Read The Rules” channel before I (or someone else I appoint) assigns that person a role.

Perhaps you can register an email from one of the big services you don’t use? Having an email set aside just for accessing online accounts is probably a good idea as it will be a means for resetting lost passwords and the like. Even if you use Gmail, it’s not like they’ll have any personal info on you if you’re only using it as a means to log into other services. (They’re after info that is worth something to advertisers - the fact that you’d be on Discord is worth nothing as Discord isn’t all that keen on 3rd party apps.)
(05-09-2020, 07:51 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I just checked it out, and apparently Discord doesn't like Spamgourmet email addresses.  Since as a rule I don't use my real email address except with friends and in business relationships I started before I found Spamgourmet, I guess I won't be making any kind of permanent account.

If possible, you can create an "alias account" that will redirect to your main email but does not directly expose it in any way.
I've recently started using Discord; I tried the invite and was told it was expired.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
(07-15-2020, 09:23 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: I've recently started using Discord;  I tried the invite and was told it was expired.

This should be a permanent link.

https://discord.gg/xZsGE9H

Once you're there, let me know, because until I give you a role you will be restrict to Ralph's Corner.  (Reference to Ralph von Wow-wow, the talking dog at Callahan's.  Becoming a "Regular" there usually meant accepting Ralph as a person and not a cleverly trained animal.)
Giving this a bump.  I just made sure that the verification settings for individual users joining the server is set to absolutely nothing.  The only safety measure I have in place is that newly arrived users are restricted to the Ralph von Wow Wow channel until I can assign them a "role" in the server.

I haven't messed with making another account for myself in Discord, so I don't recall if verifying an email address is a global requirement or not.

If that is an issue still, I'll reiterate my suggestion from earlier: set up an email account with one of the big email services (e.g.: gmail, msn, aol, etc...) and use it only for verification and password recovery.  There's no real need to tie it to any other email (except maybe for the purposes of account recovery), and you can use it much the same way you do with spamgourmet, only with a fixed email address.

Besides, to my knowledge, Discord has no means of letting other users or bots see the email address you use to log in. There may be ways for a hacker to gain that information, but everything I've seen that goes to that tune is either months or years out of date, and the devs at Discord may have patched those holes up.  Regardless, Discord also offers 2FA (by way of Google Authenticator) to help secure your account, so even if someone were to obtain the email address linked to an account, they still can't do more than spam that email with ads.  And it's not like that will matter for much if you're not using said email for regular communication.

Lastly, keep in mind the reason why outfits like Discord don't like you using spamgourmet for email verification purposes is for the exact same reason you like to use it in the first place: they don't like spammers, either, and ironically enough, servers like spamgourmet can be used to spam other people on Discord.

That said, I've done all that I can to make things as easy as possible on everyone.  The only way I can make things any easier is to set up an IRC channel instead and shutter the Discord server.  But if it comes to that, I'll leave it to someone else to handle, because I don't have copious amounts of free time and managing a Discord server on a mobile device is tricky as is.  I'm not exactly keen to be typing in IRC command lines on a tiny touch-screen keyboard - doubly so when autocorrupt is only too happy to turn a well thought-out command string into something that would probably k-line the entire channel.

PS: if the previous invite link has stopped working, let me know and I'll get a new one up and running.
And not too long after I made that post, someone with the handle "Plywood" made an appearance on the server and went lurk moar mode right away without so much as a heya.

I gave them over twelve hours to respond to a DM from me, and then gave them a kick from the server with a friendly reminder that I cannot give them a role in good conscience if they don't say anything to anyone at all.

That said, does "Plywood" sound familiar to anyone here?
Given that I'm not and have not yet been on the server all I can say is it's not me.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Just joined.