Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNN Reporter arrested by state police while on air.
RE: CNN Reporter arrested by state police while on air.
That's not news.

I mean, it's Fox.
Still something that needs to be called out when it happens.
Yeah, that definitely is a point against me reversing the decision to not consume anything from Fox, not just their news. Yeah, I decided a number of years ago when Fox News slid really far right that I wasn't going to deal with even their entertainment products. I still feel like they no longer deserve my eyeballs on any front.

Such a pity I don't really watch television anymore in general.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Eh, voting with your wallet is really the only thing you can do in that regard, unless you somehow manage to get on the list of Nielsen rating households. While I'm not exactly surpri9sed by this happening at Fox, I do think it is and should be a big deal - remember all the outrage about a photojournalist doing a (REALLY poor, I could have done better at fifteen) photoshop to duplicate some smoke in the sky after a bombing in the middle east somewhere, five or ten years ago? All the points that were made then about manipulated images being a perversion of the entire reason for news media existing in the first place apply just as much now. For it to barely rate a mention is a troubling sign of how much standards and expectations have fallen, especially when it's a national netowork rather than some small-timer no one had heard of.
--
‎noli esse culus
And now we have a lynching

The city initially believed it to be suicide but - well - you know that's going to be hard for anyone to believe anymore.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
...OK, the combination of "hanging" and "from a tree", that should not have been ruled a suicide without a thorough investigation first, and in combination with a suicide note that the next of kin verified "yeah, that was his handwriting". Regardless of the race of the one hanging, although that adds (significantly) to the doubt that it was a suicide.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
(06-14-2020, 07:06 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: Eh, voting with your wallet is really the only thing you can do in that regard, unless you somehow manage to get on the list of Nielsen rating households. While I'm not exactly surpri9sed by this happening at Fox, I do think it is and should be a big deal - remember all the outrage about a photojournalist doing a (REALLY poor, I could have done better at fifteen) photoshop to duplicate some smoke in the sky after a bombing in the middle east somewhere, five or ten years ago? All the points that were made then about manipulated images being a perversion of the entire reason for news media existing in the first place apply just as much now. For it to barely rate a mention is a troubling sign of how much standards and expectations have fallen, especially when it's a national netowork rather than some small-timer no one had heard of.

Yeah, I've been treating it like authors taking actions towards supporting attitudes I despise (Orson Scott Card, Larry Correia, JK Rowling), I stop buying their works in all circumstances (for instance, I don't intend to ever watch the Ender's Game movie adaptation). I'm not even sure I'd go back to their works even once they're no longer on this mortal coil. Holding certain political views isn't the issue, it's about whether or not they're taking the actions (Card at one point advocated for laws criminalizing homosexuality, Rowling has shown herself to be a TERF arguing that my identity isn't legitimate and authentic, and Correia was one of the initial instigators of what some call "Puppygate", the Sad Puppies group that attempted to sabotage the Hugos in favor of a forcing science fiction to become much less diverse and considerably less interesting, while missing the point that uncomfortable politics has always been one of the themes science fiction plays with regularly).

On the other hand, I'll gladly purchase and consume anything written by John Scalzi, or produced by Adam Savage, because they're showing they're on diverse humanity's side in spite of/despite being straight cis white guys.

BTW, in a semi-related note, I've commented to my husband that it's becoming increasingly tempting to stop buying and consuming video games because it's easier to do that than to maintain the list of video game developers and publishers I won't buy from because of actions (or lack of) taken. And there's even the video game developers that are fine, but licensed properties that I got really skeeved by the actions of those rights holders (LEGO Marvel Superheroes, I finished the story mode just as the whole Captain America is a Nazi thing exploded, needless to say I lost interest in the free play mode of that). I uninstalled the Saint's Row series when THQ Nordic held their AMA on a toxic message board and it wasn't shut down, and indeed, the only indication of any action was "we did an internal investigation and are making changes" (really, this should have resulted in a public firing of the head marketing manager involved, he should have literally known better and done a lot more homework before okaying it).

Note that my niece actually takes it much further in one area; she won't read novels written by white, straight folks at all.
My brother laments this, thinking she's missing out on some gems, but I myself don't feel like I can discourage her from this sort of course, especially given my own status.
While I agree with most of that, being sexist and racist against straight white guys is not any better than the reverse, you know - equal wrongs is not the same as equal rights. It also means missing out on a lot of very good stories, though that's a side consideration at best.
--
‎noli esse culus
(06-14-2020, 09:10 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: While I agree with most of that, being sexist and racist against straight white guys is not any better than the reverse, you know - equal wrongs is not the same as equal rights. It also means missing out on a lot of very good stories, though that's a side consideration at best.

Yeah, there's really only the consideration there of, "well, there's enough sexism and racism involved in the one direction" and the reverse doesn't have nearly as much of an effect. Or as Scalzi puts it, "lowest difficulty setting" which does mean that there's added advantages of that balancing out the response "in kind" from those on the higher difficulty settings. Reverse racism/sexism doesn't have nearly the effect some would argue that it does. Yeah, on the face of it you can still argue that it's a bad response, but I'm also not willing to argue it with the practitioners of it under the current circumstances of society. If things were much more in balance, I would, but not right now.
(06-14-2020, 08:51 AM)LynnInDenver Wrote: On the other hand, I'll gladly purchase and consume anything written by John Scalzi, or produced by Adam Savage, because they're showing they're on diverse humanity's side in spite of/despite being straight cis white guys.

This is discrimination on the basis of sexuality, gender, race and sex. Because what you are saying here is that as a result of John Scalzi and Adam Savage being straight cis white guys you would not buy and consume their stuff, if it wasn't for them doing stuff you approve of.

Feel free to discriminate between the providers of goods and services on the basis of their business practices, actions and politics, but there's a reason discriminating on the basis of race, gender, race or sex is at best looked poorly upon.

(06-14-2020, 08:51 AM)LynnInDenver Wrote: Note that my niece actually takes it much further in one area; she won't read novels written by white, straight folks at all.
My brother laments this, thinking she's missing out on some gems, but I myself don't feel like I can discourage her from this sort of course, especially given my own status.

You absolutely should discourage her exactly because of your own status. Drogn's right, your niece is being racist and heterophobic (what, it's not as if there's a snappy counterpart of homophobic). It's perfectly alright if she refuses to read a book, or books by a given author or publisher because she doesn't like the subject matter, writing style or any number of different reasons, but if her refusal boils down to 'the author's heterosexual and white', well, that's exactly the sort of nonsense you have to deal with, the lens has just been turned around a bit to shine the light from a different angle.
(06-14-2020, 09:10 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: While I agree with most of that, being sexist and racist against straight white guys is not any better than the reverse, you know - equal wrongs is not the same as equal rights. It also means missing out on a lot of very good stories, though that's a side consideration at best.

I don’t get how you got from LynninDenver’s niece refusing to read anything by white/cis persons is racism against straight white guys.

As I see it she is just choosing not to engage with a white cis gendered perspective in her fiction, which probably permeates 90% of her interactions with the world anyway and instead giving that space to other voices and perspectives. Which is a sentiment I can get behind. After going thru my personal library I know I need to read more from POC authors and LGBTQ+.

As author Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie Said in her TED talk The Danger of a Single Story

Quote: What this demonstrates, I think, is how impressionable and vulnerable we are in the face of story, particularly as children. Because all I had read were books in which characters were foreign, I had become convinced that books by their very nature had to have foreigners in them and had to be about things with which I could not personally identify.”

I recommend everyone watch that talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_ngo...ngle_story
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
I don't suppose there's any room for "Death of the Author" in this debate? You know, ignore who created the work and let the work stand on its own merits and flaws, whatever those merits and flaws might be.

That has the added benefit of voting with your wallet. If a creator is rewarded for doing one thing and not rewarded for doing another thing, the first thing is more likely to be done by that creator in the future... isn't it?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(06-14-2020, 10:12 AM)SilverFang01 Wrote:

I don’t get how you got from LynninDenver’s niece refusing to read anything by white/cis persons is racism against straight white guys.

As I see it she is just choosing not to engage with a white cis gendered perspective in her fiction, which probably permeates 90% of her interactions with the world anyway and instead giving that space to other voices and perspectives. Which is a sentiment I can get behind. After going thru my personal library I know I need to read more from POC authors and LGBTQ+.

As author Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie Said in her TED talk The Danger of a Single Story

Quote: What this demonstrates, I think, is how impressionable and vulnerable we are in the face of story, particularly as children. Because all I had read were books in which characters were foreign, I had become convinced that books by their very nature had to have foreigners in them and had to be about things with which I could not personally identify.”

I recommend everyone watch that talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_ngo...ngle_story

Yeah, I know I also need to do the same, get some reading in from people who are not white and cis and straight and male. (Although I also know there's some on the shelf I need to really read that we already have outside of those categories, like Alex Acks.) Although I personally will still consume the works of the ones I know are trying their best to not fall into the horrors of being on the easiest difficulty setting, Like John Scalzi.

Do note that saying you'd like to be called out as a person on passive sexism and racism and genderism and such goes a LONG way with me, whether you're an author or actor or otherwise with some level of celebrity.
(06-14-2020, 10:12 AM)SilverFang01 Wrote: I don’t get how you got from LynninDenver’s niece refusing to read anything by white/cis persons is racism against straight white guys.

"My imaginary example person refuses to read anything by gay black women." That's how. The rest has pretty much been covered, or again, I agree with it.
--
‎noli esse culus
Yeah, and I won't try to force anyone to read anything they don't really want to read, regardless of the actual reason for it, just like I won't want anyone to do the same to me. I have larger fish to fry in my life right now and my own reading choices to curate for myself.

It's kind of like how I keep my mouth shut at work when the boss gets himself Chik-Fil-A, even though I won't ever set foot in one.
Perfectly understandable, and in the end the only person whose choices anyone can be responsible for is their own. If anything, that's my point all along.
--
‎noli esse culus
Black-Owned / Black-Focussed Bookstores

And the story behind the map.

I trust I don't need to say why I'm posting these links to this thread.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-13-2020, 07:55 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: Fox proves that they are the real fake news.

Fox News Manipulates Pictures Of Seattle Protests Then Lies About It

Oh, it gets better...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...65506.html

(06-14-2020, 07:54 AM)Dartz Wrote: And now we have a lynching

The city initially believed it to be suicide but - well - you know that's going to be hard for anyone to believe anymore.

As horrible as this sounds, this was exactly what I was expecting.
Kentucky tattoo shop offering free cover ups of racist, hateful tattoos
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Meanwhile, in Thailand

Some poltical unrest in a former British colony.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
A similar concept produced an article in the Washington Post at the end of May.

Quote:“We’ve seen some setbacks with the virus, but some Brits see the rising disease, staggering unemployment and violence in the States and feel as if America was never ready to govern itself properly, that it would resort to tribal politics,” said Andrew Darcy Morthington, a London-based America expert.

[A disclaimer at the beginning of the article specified that Morthington and all other "experts" the article "quoted" were fictitious.]

Among reader comments, Teri Goodson remarked:
Quote:The right wing Evangelicals are convinced that Trump was chosen by God.  I wonder why they hate their own country so much that they want to destroy it.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
The Almighty Dollar is a fickle lord.
--
‎noli esse culus
DHBirr: Simple, if they can't have the country that they perceive is the best one, then it's not worth having one. It's better to destroy it in the effort to bring about that which they think is best, than to keep one that isn't up to that "standard".
If you need a good review article on this topic, I recommend, The Story Has Gotten Away from Us: Six months of life and death in America.  The thesis here is that the coronavirus and the racial injustice are the same story, and that for months, journalists had lost track of the rising violence committed by police.

What Black America Means to Europe is arguably good news for Americans, proving that we still are the world's largest exporter of culture.

(06-14-2020, 07:54 AM)Dartz Wrote: And now we have a lynching

They're claiming it was suicide, probably.  But in the meantime, this man's brother was shot and killed by the police a week later.  At least they missed the 7 year old in the car, but they shot her mother too.  At least she was out of the hospital in a few hours.  Police claim he was firing on them, and we have to take their word for it because there were no cameras.  Two dead in one family; just another day in America.

Meanwhile, closer to home, it looks like they're going to remove the statue of our city founder, Fra Junípero Serra, from the front of City Hall. You know, about that thing over enslaving (kinda) the local Indians and introducing a system of savage beatings to suppress their original culture. Father Serra was made a saint by the Catholic church, but it was so long ago, the culture was so different when he was canonized way back in 2015. Honestly this is a really complicated case where a man put himself at great risk to do what he thought was the right thing. In the process of saving souls, he brought along Spanish ideas of discipline and torture and inquisition. How I judge him depends on whether I'm looking at if from a deontological or a utilitarian ethical perspective.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
At least Colorado has severely restricted qualified immunity defenses in the case of police use of force. They're also demanding that by July 2023 all police officers have their body and dash board cameras rolling whenever they are interacting with the public (the delay due to logistical issues no doubt) and have immediately restricted the use of force to very specific circumstances.