Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make Trump react quickly.
How to make Trump react quickly.
Two days after Twitter applied Fact Check links to his insane ranting about mail-in election fraud, Trump has signed an executive order intended to strip online media companies of their liability protections for daring to apply evidence. The man has his priorities.
RE: How to make Trump react quickly.
Can we take his advice and liberate America yet? Before it's not America anymore...
--
‎noli esse culus
And his latest tweet has been found in violation of the sites rules and locked, although given it's the President advocating the national guard open fire on protesters, it's been kept up with a warning attached.
(05-28-2020, 11:30 PM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: Two days after Twitter applied Fact Check links to his insane ranting about mail-in election fraud, Trump has signed an executive order intended to strip online media companies of their liability protections for daring to apply evidence.

Didn't you folks amend your Constitution to make that illegal?

(goes and looks)

Why, yes - yes, you did.

If I was running Twitter, I'd ignore the order and ask the judge to order the government to pay my court costs at the end of the day.

(05-28-2020, 11:30 PM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: The man has his priorities.

Unfortunately (for everyone else), "the lives of American voters" is not one of them.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
This should help clarify things:

Harold Feld, Senior Vice President at Public Knowledge Wrote:Short version. Trump's executive order has virtually zero legal effect. Srsly. And please, please PLEASE do not speculate if you (a) have not actually read the Executive Order, and (b) have not actually read 47 U.S.C. 230 and/or Section 5 of the FTC Act (15 U.S.C. 45). You will maketh my head to hurt.
The Order:
1. Tells the NTIA to file a Petition for Rulemaking with the FCC to issue rules around Section 230. This will take awhile. There is nothing to see until this process starts. I will explain this process later.
2. Directs the FTC to look about possible enforcement undr Section 5. That's nice. I've looked at it. I laughed a lot. Any many can call upon the demons of the deep, but will they answer? But if y'all want to waste brain cells worrying about this, I can't stop you.
3. Trump Admin may pull advertising dollars from social media platforms that don't suck up to them. This is potentially an issue. It is however, the one everyone is ignoring.
Stung By Twitter, Trump Signs Executive Order To Weaken Social Media Companies

This is from an older blog post he wrote regarding this same issue, back in 2019.
Harold Feld, Senior Vice President at Public Knowledge Wrote:"But for those who still don’t get it, giving an administration that regards abuse of power for political purposes as a legitimate tool of governance the power to harass important platforms for the exchange of views and information unless they promote its political allies and suppress its critics is something of a worst case scenario for the First Amendment and democracy generally."
Can Trump Really Have The FCC Regulate Social Media? So No.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Really, this is exactly the sort of thing that the First Amendment is meant to guard against.
(05-29-2020, 11:35 AM)SilverFang01 Wrote:
Harold Feld, Senior Vice President at Public Knowledge Wrote:3. Trump Admin may pull advertising dollars from social media platforms that don't suck up to them. This is potentially an issue. It is however, the one everyone is ignoring.

I don't see the Nicknamer-in-Chief abandoning one of the largest media channels in the country for very long. A week or two, tops, before he realizes that his order lets the other guys have free rein in advertising there.

And if Twitter's margins are so narrow that they rely on a single advertiser, then they're the ones with a problem.

It isn't as if this stops anybody from talking about the Nicknamer-in-Chief on their platform, after all.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This is an Article I power, no amendments needed. Congress passed the law, the President has to follow that law, not just decree it doesn't apply because people are being mean to him. By framing it as an issue of human rights, you're missing the part where it's a violation of our fundamental principles of governance.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I don't see how this is an Article I power ... unless it somehow falls under the Postal Clause.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/202005...less.shtml

Just because he has reacted quickly, it doesn't mean he has achieved anything.