Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing how long we went without complaining about the weather in 2020
RE: Amazing how long we went without complaining about the weather in 2020
Not everything the weather causes is weather itself.  Parts of Louisiana that Laura hit hard are now suffering plagues of mosquitoes ... sometimes lethal to livestock.  One doctor stated the bloodsucking insects have killed some 300-400 cattle. 

Quote:Jeremy Hebert, a LSU AgCenter agent in Acadia Parish, told USA TODAY Thursday that residents along costal, marshy areas are accustomed to mosquitoes and expect the population to climb following a heavy rain. But the scale of this outbreak was much larger than Hebert expected: “I’ve never experienced anything like this."
While humans are able to cover up, stay inside or swat the insects away, livestock were virtually defenseless against the swarms.
The livestock “can’t get away from (the mosquitoes) … they pace and they pace,” [veterinarian Christine] Navarre said. Some of those that survived may face ongoing heath problems like weight loss or susceptibility to disease.
— USA Today

There's also mention in a Miami Herald article of a deer rancher losing about $100,000 worth of deer.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
It isn't even October yet and the nightly lows are around (or at) freezing here...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Hurricane Teddy is probably going to make landfall somewhere in Nova Scotia today or tonight.

I hope firvulag is okay...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm fine, power didn't even go out or anything. It mostly missed Halifax, just dumped a fair bit of rain on us and shut down a few things because of the wind. Nowhere near as bad as Juan.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot...80?cmp=rss
The Roman Rule:  The one who says it cannot be done should
                 never interrupt the one who is doing it.
    -- BSD fortune file
A time-lapse of the storm a friend put together:

The Roman Rule:  The one who says it cannot be done should
                 never interrupt the one who is doing it.
    -- BSD fortune file
i probably should have said something here about Sally as it did come right across me, lost power for about 28 hours and had coworkers without power for a week.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Weather has been pretty good. Just removed the window A/C and it got hot for a couple days, but that’s obligatory fuckery.

No, I to talk about Hurricane Iota. I had been expecting an Iota this year, but as a last hurrah mid-Atlantic sleeper tropical storm. Not a Cat 5 in mid November for fucks sake. People are talking about retiring Greek letters this year, which might be tough on a few people, but they’ll just have to learn to spell words differently.

At least for Hurricane Kappa, if we bow to it from the beach, it will politely dump its water offshore.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Don't forget to bring some cucumbers to offer as well.
--
‎noli esse culus
Looks like we're finally getting snow to stay (as opposed to a few flurries that have melted by the next day) here in Ottawa... although there's a chance it'll melt later this week.

It's perfect weather to say "I'm not driving in to work"... except that we're all working from home these days. Sad
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Welp. First big snowstorm of the season is scheduled to hit us starting around 10 AM tomorrow. The most extreme forecasts call for upwards of two feet of snow.

Four weeks ago I messed up my right arm clearing the front yard of leaves; I re-messed it up two weeks ago shaving on the day I noticed it had stopped hurting for the first time in a while. It's fading away again now... but god help me, if no one comes and offers to dig us out, I'm going to settle for being snowed in long enough for it to melt or for my arm to be pain-free for a week.

So hear me, teenagers with snowshovels in the Somerset, NJ area... there's a $50 bill with your name on it just waiting for you to earn it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
If you're getting that much (looks like our current -18C air mass is going to keep the snow away here) and you have to shovel it yourself, shovel in layers - don't try to shift two feet of snow all at once. Take some off the top, then some more, then a bit more, and repeat until what's directly in front of you is clear. Then step forward an repeat the process until you've reached the road.

Unless you like having a hernia, that is.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, at least we don't have to deal with 10 cms or more of snow in the Netherlands.

Gloomy, wet, miserable? Yes. But most snow doesn't last more than a few days, if it lasts seconds.
Well, it's now about 2-1/2 hours since it was supposed to start, and no sign of snow yet. I checked weather.com's radar map, and it appears the bulk of the storm is far, far out to sea (if I'm reading the map right), so it looks like we're going to basically get the northern and western edges of the storm. That might still be enough to land 8 inches or more on us; it's too early for a layman like myself to tell.

Update: According to the latest forecast I can find for our area, the snowfall is now expected to start somewhere around 4 PM, and the accumulation is expected to be 8-12 inches.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
The snowfall started in Chambersburg around 10 AM, right when the Borough's weather warning expected, and is forecast to let up around 7 AM tomorrow (we'll see).
It started here at 2:30, basically as a light flurry for about an hour to ninety minutes. It's a bit heavier now, but nothing to call a proper "storm".
-- Bob

Still snowing, at a light but steady clip. As far as I know it was like that all night, no heavy snowfall, although there was the occasional strong gust of wind (and still is).

Judging from the accumulation on the tables on the back patio it looks like we got six inches so far? But there are deeper drifts.
-- Bob

And the snow has stopped, the sun has come out, and the sky is clearing up...
-- Bob

Looks like the snowiest national capital on earth is going to be having a green Christmas two years in a row. This hasn't happened in my memory.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Meanwhile, our snow is about 75% melted away now, and the forecast calls for rain this afternoon, so it looks like a Wet Christmas for us instead of a white one.
-- Bob

Snow? What's that?

(I'm kidding, mostly. But any snow we've had thus far this winter melted upon hitting the ground at the latest)
And yesterday we had a cold front come through that felt like it was trying to drop a years worth of backordered rain in a single day. And I was already fighting hibernation mode...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
We had one heck of a rain storm on the 25th here in the Bridgewater Triangle. It was worst in the night and let up later on, but having state robocalls warning of possible high winds and power outages certainly made for a very 2020 christmas eve. At least it wasn't super cold (actually it was about 60F) so if there were power outages no one was likely to freeze to death... that was reserved for Boxing Day Dodgy
--
‎noli esse culus