Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J.K. Rowling returns human rights award amid criticism from organization
RE: J.K. Rowling returns human rights award amid criticism from organization
(09-07-2020, 04:55 PM)Labster Wrote: Well, looks like one of the wildfires in California was started by a smoke cannon at a gender reveal party.  Thanks a lot, trans people.

Rude Labster.

Blame the idiot who thought using a smoke cannon was a good idea, regardless of gender.

Seriously, you don't need to do one better than the Jones family. You just need to inform people, seriously coloured sugared aniseed works fine.
Please. Have you heard about the gender reveal party on Alderaan?

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
But isn’t “physical gender” just sex? Why don’t they call it a sex reveal party?

Oh. Never mind.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
You think that's bad?

In Dutch 'sex' refers specifically to the act of mating or activities directly related to it. It doesn't have a distinction in words between physical and mental/psychological gender, it's all 'geslacht'. Which means that when it comes to transgender people you get annoying circumlocutions when you try to describe a difference between mental and physical gender.

OTOH, you don't get 'is male or female' questions as often because the parts don't fit the mind. It doesn't always get handled politely but it's generally assumed as 'determined at birth, unless requested otherwise by the relevant individual'. Anything else is wrong and you just deal with it.

There's a reason 'act normal' is a common enough chastisement in public and in private. Although the full statement is 'act normal, that's crazy enough', and should be read as 'do not put on airs, just act your normal'.
All of the Dutch trans people have definitely taken that advice to heart, and act their own normal very intensely.

Oh, and did you guys and Belgium ever decide what poepen means?
Yes. It means 'to shit', at about that level of sophistication and a somewhat greater degree of formality in every Dutch dialect I'm aware of.

Or, exclusively so in Flemish dialect and depending on context, 'to fuck', at about that level of formality and sophistication.

Although I'll note that English and Dutch declensions and how to handle them are not quite the same, so it can also refer to the plural present tense if you translate it to English.
J.K. Rowling sparks outrage for including cross-dressing serial killer in new book

Welp.

I'm not transphobic, hope you you enjoy this new book I wrote about a crossdresser who kills "people who menstruate".
(Reads the article, all the way through)

It looks to me like complaining about this book is like locking a non-existent wiki page for a work that features pre-teens. There's no way that all of the people who are complaining about the book have actually read it.

Anybody here actually read the book yet? Apparently it's selling reasonably well.

C'mon, folks, JKR has made a lot of questionable statements in the past - there's no need to invent new ones. If you want to pillory her, pillory her for something she actually did.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
The RPG.net forums have been VERY down on her anti-trans comments for some time. As in, there's a 90 page thread titled "JK Rowling is a TERF bigot".
comment deleted due to being wholly inaccurate
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd