Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 Check-in Thread Part II
RE: COVID-19 Check-in Thread Part II
Could be worse. I keep hoping Trudeau will do the smart thing and enforce the Canada/US border lockdown for the rest of the year. Time will tell. We really don't want their covid north of the border.
Still here. Still unemployed. Still annoyed at not being able to eat real food.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
This is what I get for ignoring the General section so much. Didn't even know this thread existed. Sorry, everybody! Still here, still kicking in the Outer Banks.

Had a couple months where I couldn't go to my restaurant job - I literally went in normally for the very first day we reopened for the season, then the owners shut down except for the two of them doing take-out/call in orders - but seeing as I was stuck at home when not at my guard job anyway due to everything else also being closed, not much of a big deal other than boredom.

Problems... almost running out of TP due to everybody on the island who got to the stores first overbuying. Still can't get Clorox wet wipes. And seeing the main roads empty during tourist season was capital letter Freaky. Had a six-month medical checkup by phone. I wanna argue I should get a discount for that, but considering he's the guy everybody who thinks they have The Virus goes too see in person... yeah. Also, lost a filling that I can't go to a closed dentist for. Considering my dental luck, probably going to lose the tooth.

Biggest problem was I had to treat my old HP laptop like Old Yeller. After missing keys, the screen popping out of the casing, the hinge breaking and trying to break said screen every single time you try to open and close it, a chunk of the casing somehow disappearing, and a warning from the computer itself it had memory hardware problems accompanied by failing to run programs, I had to finally give it up. Got a Dell. *sigh* It's good, but just not the same.

Pray for a guy and his wife I know. Ethnic - descended, not even ever been there as far as I know - Japanese wife got insulted and assaulted for being -Chinese- and causing the pandemic. Because fuck all racial progress made in the last century. Ugh.

I can tell things are getting back to normal, whether too soon or not, because the telemarketers/telescammers have crawled out of the underworld again.

Cases in the county are skyrocketing due to the Independence Day tourist rush, though, so Imma crossing my fingers. On a brighter note, I got a haircut so I no longer look like a refugee from from an '80s hair band.
“In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
Still kicking here. My husband is not dealing well this far in, job hunting and not seeming to get anywhere. One of his escapes ceased working today, and it made the cracks show.

We have a better idea of the sorts who don't care about others in the neighborhood. OMG the 4th of July substitute fireworks shows, most years we've only heard one or two, and that's usually on the other side of the closest county line. This time, at least six people IN OUR OWN IMMEDIATE AREA were firing stuff off that's not legal to even have, much less use, unless you're a PROFESSIONAL SHOW.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
*ugh*

I feel for you, Lynn. IT was much like that here. To hell with getting the dog drunk, I wound up drunk, feeling like I had somehow wound up back aboard ship in a sitation our ship was never supposed to find itself in by our training.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Lots of people who didn't go on vacation and decided to have fun at home, I guess. I know there was one set that kept going for about 20 minutes straight in the one direction that doesn't have the kind of venue town displays are put on from, and occasional bursts from every which way - and this is the Commiewealth of Massachusetts, where you can't even buy, sell, transport, or possess sparkler wands, black snakes, or smoke bombs ("any article designed to produce a visible or audible effect") legally anymore without a commercial pyrotechnics permit.

It does at least cut down on the fires and hold-my-beer maiming, though. I'd expect there was a spike in those this year due to COVID cabin fever induced recklessness...
--
‎noli esse culus
So, my other roommate is on his way to the hospital. A blood oxygenation device he had to monitor his O2 saturation read 88% several times tonight, which is bad. It's supposed to be around 97%. Clear signs of cyanosis on fingertips and lips. So he's off to the hospital to get admitted. I just hope he didn't wait too long. He's had hints already, but his fear about being turned away kept him from going earlier.
Well, as a wise man once said, "love is like oxygen, you get too much you get too high, not enough and you're gonna die."  It turns out the survival rate for people hospitalized with COVID is about 5%.  Don't roll a crit fail, roommate-san.

Watched the neighbors' fireworks shows from home.  Kept hearing them going of until about 2:30 AM.  Plenty of smoke to go with our respiratory plague.  Meanwhile there was an article in the paper about people attacking Filipinas for being Chinese and spreading the virus.  This is the normal level of intelligence for racists.

At least the puppy didn't get freaked out by fireworks.  I had a dog like that before, and we basically had to drug her on the 4th and during the County Fair so she didn't make herself sick.  The puppy, I just wish she didn't feel so threatened by other people and dogs, there's nothing to be afraid of and -- Hey! Stay six feet away from them!  Oh right everyone is dangerous, the world is shit now.

At least one thing worked out okay.  My work reversed the 10% pay cuts from a couple months ago, in an letter that confusingly claimed to "reinstate the 10% pay cut".  Hopefully loss of vocabulary is not a symptom of the corona.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Status unchanged:  still old, overweight, fugly, retired ('cause it sounds nicer than "unemployed"), and not infected (unless I am or was asymptomatic).
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Still here.
If you're going to send someone to save the world, you might make sure they like it the way it is first.
Checking in. Truck is back from repairs. New tank & pressure sensor plus labor is $1300.

I mentioned it in switch lite thread, but this is a thing: A talk show in Animal Crossing by the writer of Rouge One: Gary Whitta

Notable guests: 
Jerry and Mike from Penny Arcade
Elijah Wood and Danny Trejo
Sting, Kevin Smith, and Marc Bernadin
Shaggy, Jordan Vogt-Roberts, Jimmy O. Yang and Kiki Wolfkill
"Some people are the apple of your eye. Others are just a pie in your face. Apples, maaan. Stick with them." -- Pascal (Animal Crossing: New Horizons)
I'm still alive!  Still going to work and dealing with the lack of people.
The superiors at my security job are clearly moving at the speed of bureaucracy. After all thee months we receive the order TODAY that masks are now required.
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
(07-08-2020, 06:29 PM)DeputyJones Wrote: The superiors at my security job are clearly moving at the speed of bureaucracy. After all thee months we receive the order TODAY that masks are now required.

facepalm.jpg facemask.jpg
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
288 cases in victoria yesterday, 4 in my town with evidence of community transmission. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
And apparently, I'm late checking in. Still alive though.
I'm starting my eighteenth week of working from home. Still healthy.
Still ticking along. My husband got rear-ended on the way home from an interview on Friday; he's fine, and the car is still drivable, although I wouldn't want to have him driving it at night because all the rear lenses, while intact, are not in the factory orientation anymore. Next weekend he'll be swapping it for a loaner from his parents. We won't be able to actually replace the car until he gets a job.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Still alive.
No insurance that would cover it Lynn?

(It's literally illegal to drive an uninsured car in the Netherlands)
I'm not aware of any national requirement for car insurance, but lots states have such laws. Pennsylvania does, but I don't know about Colorado. That said, that doesn't always stop people from driving without. And in the case of a rear-end collision, the driver of the car in the back is automatically considered legally responsible which means Lynn's family needs to try to get the money from the other guy's insurance.
Also, it's extremely unlikely that any insurance would cover 100% of the repair costs. Can Lynn's family afford the deductible right now?

EDIT: I'm still alive.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Both parties are insured. (Car insurance is compulsory in Colorado, at least for Collision - Comprehensive is another matter.) While we have the car insured, it's a 2009 Yaris, that's already been through some accidents. I'm expecting they're going to just plain total it with this one. My husband had been making noise about replacing it before the pandemic hit, around when the Subaru is paid off, we just can't commit to doing so right now until my husband has a job, which is the prime sticking factor at the moment. We technically have the money for me to get the Subaru completely paid off right now, but I've been holding off until we're both employed before doing so, just in case we need that money elsewhere.

As noted, we'll be able to get a loaner car for the duration, so at least he won't be out of a way to get to interviews; his ability to drive manual transmission is exceptionally rusty, and that's what we have in the Subaru. (In other news, I've already acknowledged that the Subaru is the last car I'll own that has manual transmission, for that and other factors.)
No change in status.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Still here
If you're going to send someone to save the world, you might make sure they like it the way it is first.