Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what fictional works are set in Halifax?
what fictional works are set in Halifax?
Question 
In an effort to make All The Tropes a little less USA-centric than TV Tropes is (and thus differentiate the two sites somewhat more), I'm trying to get more Canadian content onto the wiki. That includes making pages for Canadian cities similar to the pages that the wiki has for American cities (and for Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver).

And to do that, I need lists of famous creators from each city and fictional works set in each city ... which I can crib from Wikipedia.

But Wikipedia doesn't have a list of fictional works set in Halifax. (It does have a list of famous Haligonians.)

So, what's set in Halifax? (does a web search) Theodore Tugboat, a bunch of non-fiction books set against the backdrop of the Halifax Explosion, and ... according to DuckDuckGo, nothing else. (wracks own brain) Trailer Park Boys is set in Dartmouth, just across the Narrows. The Surgeon's Mate, the seventh of the "Aubrey-Maturin" books, starts in Halifax.

What else? If anybody knows, so would some of the folks here, right?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: what fictional works are set in Halifax?
There's a big naval yard there, yes? I imagine there must be WW2 and spy thriller type stuff at least partially set there. I'm pretty sure NERV moves to Halifax in the later parts of EPU's DJ Croft stories, but I'm assuming you mean original works rather than fanfic at this stage.
--
‎noli esse culus
(06-09-2020, 08:46 PM)robkelk Wrote: In an effort to make All The Tropes a little less USA-centric than TV Tropes is (and thus differentiate the two sites somewhat more), I'm trying to get more Canadian content onto the wiki. That includes making pages for Canadian cities similar to the pages that the wiki has for American cities (and for Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver).

And to do that, I need lists of famous creators from each city and fictional works set in each city ... which I can crib from Wikipedia.

But Wikipedia doesn't have a list of fictional works set in Halifax. (It does have a list of famous Haligonians.)

So, what's set in Halifax? (does a web search) Theodore Tugboat, a bunch of non-fiction books set against the backdrop of the Halifax Explosion, and ... according to DuckDuckGo, nothing else. (wracks own brain) Trailer Park Boys is set in Dartmouth, just across the Narrows. The Surgeon's Mate, the seventh of the "Aubrey-Maturin" books, starts in Halifax.

What else? If anybody knows, so would some of the folks here, right?

I have somewhere between 1.5 and 2 examples:
1) "Barrett's Privateers" by the late great Stan Rogers. The last survivor off the Antelope washes eventually up on a Halifax pier, wishing he were in Sherbrooke.
other) the old sea-type song "Poor Miss Bailey" (aka "Miss Bailey's Ghost"); the wicked Captain Smith, who seduces and deserts the titular Miss Bailey, driving her to suicide and to haunt him, is identified in the first line as "a captain bold from Halifax".
Hope this helps. If not, hope you are at least confused on a higher level and about more important things, like what her horse has to do with that year in college.
Good reads has a list of books supposedly set in Halifax, not sure how accurate it is though.
https://www.goodreads.com/places/1607-ha...ova-scotia

For TV, there's not a lot specifically set in Halifax that I can think of.  22 Minutes is shot here, but it's mostly non-fiction.  You already listed what I can think of easily off the top of my head.  Oh, and Mr. D is shot in the city, but I've never actually watched it so I'm not sure where it's set.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2128016/?ref_=ttls_li_tt

We used to have movies made in the province, until the government got rid of the film tax credit.  But most of those were shot in various bits of the country-side and tended not to be set in NS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:F...ova_Scotia
The Roman Rule:  The one who says it cannot be done should
                 never interrupt the one who is doing it.
    -- BSD fortune file
(06-09-2020, 09:17 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: There's a big naval yard there, yes? I imagine there must be WW2 and spy thriller type stuff at least partially set there. I'm pretty sure NERV moves to Halifax in the later parts of EPU's DJ Croft stories, but I'm assuming you mean original works rather than fanfic at this stage.

The list is for All The Tropes - Drunkard's Walk has its own page there. So, yeah, I'll take Eyrie's stuff.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-09-2020, 09:22 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 09:17 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: There's a big naval yard there, yes? I imagine there must be WW2 and spy thriller type stuff at least partially set there. I'm pretty sure NERV moves to Halifax in the later parts of EPU's DJ Croft stories, but I'm assuming you mean original works rather than fanfic at this stage.

The list is for All The Tropes - Drunkard's Walk has its own page there. So, yeah, I'll take Eyrie's stuff.

Harry Leferts Harry and The Shipgirls on SB and SV has Halifax waking up as a Genius Loci. Second thread IIRC.
AFAIK Harry Leferts resides in Halifax.
Classicdrogn is correct -- NERV moves to and operates out of Halifax for Neon Exodus Evangelion the Motion Picture: Apotheosis Now. Their departure from a Massachusetts port is the climax of the last episode of the "series".

EDIT: And NXE has its own page at ATT, too...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
If you get around to doing something similar for Toronto, quite a bit of the first Symphony of the Sword from Undocumented Features involves Toronto, including an entire installment ("Hogtown Rhapsody").
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
The BBC has a television series set there, appropriately called "Last Tango in Halifax."
(06-10-2020, 08:10 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: If you get around to doing something similar for Toronto, quite a bit of the first Symphony of the Sword from Undocumented Features involves Toronto, including an entire installment ("Hogtown Rhapsody").

Toronto's already done, and somebody else already listed "Hogtown Rhapsody".

(Right now, I'm working on Montreal, Vancouver, Halifax and Ottawa - the first two as add-ons for existing ATT pages. Don't know whether I'll do any more after these four.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I seem to recall trips to Halifax in Anne of Green Gables but my memory isn't that clear.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(06-10-2020, 08:11 AM)Ebony Wrote: The BBC has a television series set there, appropriately called "Last Tango in Halifax."

Sorry, I should have made it clearer: Halifax, Nova Scotia, not Halifax, Yorkshire.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-11-2020, 10:27 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 08:11 AM)Ebony Wrote: The BBC has a television series set there, appropriately called "Last Tango in Halifax."

Sorry, I should have made it clearer: Halifax, Nova Scotia, not Halifax, Yorkshire.

That's okay. I've not watched the show, just had it cross my radar, and I wasn't aware that it wasn't in Canada. Wasn't aware there was a Halifax in Yorkshire, to be honest.
Okay, this was enough to inspire me to de-lurk.

The Hardy Boys book, 'Countdown to Terror' is set in Halifax.
Thanks!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
What about The Halifax of Life and Magnum, P.E.I., eh?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto