Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, anyone here in Portland?
So, anyone here in Portland?
There's reports of unidentified military in unmarked vans grabbing people off the streets, no coordination with the local government or authorities. Please be careful.
RE: So, anyone here in Portland?
Well. That's... probably going to work. Unfortunately, it'll be one of the guys sent to pound pavement who gets shot by whoever is provoked into responding, not the asshole who gave the orders. Not that "just following orders" has been a valid defense for seventy some years, but they don't deserve to get attacked over political grandstanding any more than the people they've been sent out to accost do.
--
‎noli esse culus
The blue checks disappear from Twitter for one day -- one day! -- and now this.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
There are 23 towns named Portland in the USA alone (and more elsewhere). Which one are we talking about here?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(07-17-2020, 07:04 AM)robkelk Wrote: There are 23 towns named Portland in the USA alone (and more elsewhere). Which one are we talking about here?

Oregon.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/federal...rotesters/
Pretty soon, all of the Portlands. This is just the test run.
alrght i am reading the article and want to point out that the person who was captured, (and yes i will use that word) was not charged, thus there was no need for documentation, he was detained for questioning. Why, you might ask, because he was dressed similiar to ANTIFA rioters who have a tendency to start shit and then blend in with the crowd to disappear. These are Guerrilla tactics and show a distinct lack of care for fellow protesters who can, will and have been caught up in the situations.

now, if the mayor and police of Portland would make sure the protests stay peaceful and NOT turn into riotiing, then maybe, just maybe there wouldn't be reason for Trump to use the Insurrection Act
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Is anyone here surprised that Rav has reappeared to defend the military on the street, driving around in unmarked rental vans, grabbing people off the street, and claiming it's their own fault for possibly being part of anti-facism protests against police brutality, in a town where 'less-lethal' ammunition has killed people?
Rajvik, the fact that the government used unaccountable goons for their people snatching operation is trouble enough. In fact, the government using any unidentifiable personnel in any circumstance is a problem because they are unaccountable. Even to the government.

Because I assure you, the government won't know anything about those guys either. And it's even more terrifying if that claim is true, rather than an obscuration for a document hidden behind a classification seal that details a team of government agents doing government work while unidentifiable.
Also posted in Politics Video Madness: Beau talking about this
--
‎noli esse culus
The renditions will continue until public opinion numbers improve.
"Wait, sending in unidentified thugs to grab people off the street in a show of strength while refusing to communicate with local government isn't making me more popular? FAKE NEWS!"
They're a bunch of lawless out of control thugs who should be arrested and jailed for their actions.

Sir? That's a mirror.
Seems to me that Tom Cotton Op-Ed from a few weeks back was more of a trial balloon than anything else.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Seems like. It's also interesting that several of the people that've spoken publicly say they were given a chance to waive their rights (FUCKING WHAT), and then released without explanation or paperwork after asking for a lawyer. I'm not sure if it's just meant for intimidation of people that don't understand their rights, or just general incompetence.
By the way... what does the fourth amendment to your Constitution have to say about this?

Because I'm not seeing any probable cause for these seizures, from where I'm sitting and what I'm being shown in the press.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Unleashing the secret police has always been the last desperate gasp of a dying regime.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(07-17-2020, 08:46 PM)Rajvik Wrote: alrght i am reading the article and want to point out that the person who was captured, (and yes i will use that word) was not charged, thus there was no need for documentation, he was detained for questioning. Why, you might ask, because he was dressed similiar to ANTIFA rioters who have a tendency to start shit and then blend in with the crowd to disappear. These are Guerrilla tactics and show a distinct lack of care for fellow protesters who can, will and have been caught up in the situations.

now, if the mayor and police of Portland would make sure the protests stay peaceful and NOT turn into riotiing, then maybe, just maybe there wouldn't be reason for Trump to use the Insurrection Act

It's his own fault for dressing like a normal person? What the fuck should you dress in then if you're going out in public. Being 'detained for questioning' is not okay. That's Stasi level intimidation shit rather than actual investifation.

Okay. Not to mention that this same line has been used as justification to bomb the shit out of innocent civilians for decades.This is Death Star reasoning.

All it does is turn more people going about their days into more guerrillas. It's a self defeating.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Oh, for the love of God.

Presumed guilty because of physical appearance.

I'll say it now, because I'm willing to bet that it's relevant: #BlackLivesMatter
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
cross posted from the Political video madness thread
TYT - Oregon Governor to Trump's police force: GET OUT
And it has made international news
Beau of the Fifth Column - Let's talk about Portland again and Manuals

The Lincoln Project - Grifters Episode 1

Lincoln Project - Wall
From what I understand, the guys doing the detaining in Portland have been identified recently, specifically as affiliated with the Department of Homeland Security, acting under what, according to my read of the law suggests, proper authority as determined by their federal charter.

Now, I want to go on record saying I'm a strong law and order type, but I also do admit it's concerning it's come to the fact organizations such as DHS are resorting to this. At the same time, I'd like to gently remind even the strongest anti-federal type it has long been a bulwark of US law that federal property and it's defense has always trumped state authority, a position Lincoln made clear in the American Civil War and which has stuck ever since.

While I support peaceable protest, attacks on federal property and/or it's employees can and will be met with by federal force. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

And I'd also like to remind people the authority to allow the DHS to act like this has long since legally passed the test of the Supreme Court thanks to a little thing called the PATRIOT Act, which I personally don't like, but has been defended thus far on legal grounds.

So while I utterly sympathize with those who consider this federal overreach, and even I'm disturbed it's come to this despite my own admitted biases, it is, however distasteful, legally enforcable. And said authority does trump the state so long as their DHS officials adhere towards detaining those who acted with destruction or harm to federal property and/or it's employees.
Oregon Sues Federal Agencies For Grabbing Up Protesters Off The Streets

Also, if the Portland Police Department was trying to keep themselves from getting disbanded, they might have just scored a gigantic own goal.

https://twitter.com/JoAnnPDX/status/1284...88481?s=20

“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(07-19-2020, 06:04 AM)GethN7 Wrote: From what I understand, the guys doing the detaining in Portland have been identified recently, specifically as affiliated with the Department of Homeland Security, acting under what, according to my read of the law suggests, proper authority as determined by their federal charter.

Now, I want to go on record saying I'm a strong law and order type, but I also do admit it's concerning it's come to the fact organizations such as DHS are resorting to this. At the same time, I'd like to gently remind even the strongest anti-federal type it has long been a bulwark of US law that federal property and it's defense has always trumped state authority, a position Lincoln made clear in the American Civil War and which has stuck ever since.

While I support peaceable protest, attacks on federal property and/or it's employees can and will be met with by federal force. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

And I'd also like to remind people the authority to allow the DHS to act like this has long since legally passed the test of the Supreme Court thanks to a little thing called the PATRIOT Act, which I personally don't like, but has been defended thus far on legal grounds.

So while I utterly sympathize with those who consider this federal overreach, and even I'm disturbed it's come to this despite my own admitted biases, it is, however distasteful, legally enforcable. And said authority does trump the state so long as their DHS officials adhere towards detaining those who acted with destruction or harm to federal property and/or it's employees.

So, the response to graffiti and protests against police brutality is to grab people off the street at random in unmarked rental vans, intimidate them, then when they ask for a lawyer, release them onto the street without charge. It's to fire on protesters with 'less-lethal' ammunition that leaves victims crippled for life. Even if that bullshit is legal, and I have serious doubts about that, it's morally cowardly and disgusting, and a shining example yet again what your country has become. Video evidence keeps piling up. It's not the protesters that escalate to violence. It's the authorities, the heavily armed thugs in riot gear backed up by military vehicles, that are starting the violence and then blatantly lying about it, no matter how much evidence there is against them. They murder people on camera, and nothing is done. Your police, your border patrol, your goddamn prison officers, are being sent out to wage war on your own citizens, and you go 'oh well, it's legal for them to do that, so if you wanna protest, well, play stupid games win stupid prizes.'