Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old School for Younger Readers!
RE: Old School for Younger Readers!
(12-30-2023, 02:36 AM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: Dungeon Keeper Ami. It was on the Addventure, and I seem to recall the writer kept going after that died, but can't remember where.

It's on Sufficient Velocity, but hasn't been updated for a year or so.
(12-30-2023, 01:30 AM)Vulpis Wrote: Hmm. One decent one I can't remember the title of offhand, had Sailor Mercury swept into the Dungeon Keeper universe...as a Keeper. Had some interesting elements of her having to deal with the 'forces of good' in the DK setting, as well a links back to the Sailor Moon setting...including things like Jadeite ending up as her assistant.

Dungen Keeper Ami -- it even got a shout-out in Isekai by Moonlight as something Ami should read while in the Lyrical universe.

EDIT: Half-ninja'd, in that I'm the first to post the link.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(12-30-2023, 01:30 AM)Vulpis Wrote: Hmm. One decent one I can't remember the title of offhand, had Sailor Mercury swept into the Dungeon Keeper universe...as a Keeper. Had some interesting elements of her having to deal with the 'forces of  good' in the DK setting, as well a links back to the Sailor Moon setting...including things like Jadeite ending up as her assistant.

Dungeon Keeper Ami
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/th...per.31639/

Originally on the Anime Addventure before it died, now on SV (maybe SB, I don't know), last update was May 2021.
The thread itself is still semi-active.
(12-30-2023, 01:30 AM)Vulpis Wrote: Hmm. One decent one I can't remember the title of offhand, had Sailor Mercury swept into the Dungeon Keeper universe...as a Keeper. Had some interesting elements of her having to deal with the 'forces of  good' in the DK setting, as well a links back to the Sailor Moon setting...including things like Jadeite ending up as her assistant.

Probably Dungeon Keeper Ami, then. Started on the Addventure, now been posted to SV/SB.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Anybody want to claim it's not Dungeon Keeper Ami? No one? Good.

That settled, I'd dispute its inclusion as "old school", especially as it's been an active as recently as a year ago.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
There was another, though all I really recall about it was Ami being the MC and the author's note saying it was inspired by DKA but they wanted to do a darker take on the concept, because Evil finds a way.
--
‎noli esse culus
You may be thinking of a branch on the Anime Addventure? I seem to recall there were several early branches, but most didn't last long.
(12-30-2023, 11:31 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Anybody want to claim it's not Dungeon Keeper Ami?  No one?  Good.

That settled, I'd dispute its inclusion as "old school", especially as it's been an active as recently as a year ago.

Heee. I apparently hit the 'Linux *can't* do this...' level of response, unwittingly. And hmm. I may have to take the time to re-read through.
(12-30-2023, 11:31 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: That settled, I'd dispute its inclusion as "old school", especially as it's been an active as recently as a year ago.
Right, back to the old school. This one's almost old enough to vote.

I have no idea whether Bob read this before starting DW-S, but he totally could have.

Dressing for the Ball, by Clive May, posted 1 Jun 2007
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Huh. Nope, never seen that before, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
This came up in other contexts today.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/1849765/1/Evidence
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Oh, yes, that's one of the great crossovers.
-- Bob

(12-28-2023, 02:05 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, here's one I just dug up and reread for the first time in ten or twenty years:  Jim Bader's A Tale of Two Wallets.  Late 1990s-vintage Ranma-centric megacrossover (I identified nearly twenty different works, either as major parts or cameos, and I'm sure there are more that went right past me because I was unfamiliar with them and didn't recognize them).  Worth a look.  Sorta-kinda finished?  The main story seems to conclude properly, but there's an incomplete epilogue/sequel tacked onto the end of it, which is unlikely to ever be finished as I seem to recall that Bader passed away some years ago.

Anyway, you can find it on MediaMiner here, or on Fanfiction.net here (link goes to chapter 2, because chapter 1 is actually a genealogy full of spoilers).

Ah, that brings up some memories.

AToTW was loosely affiliated with a multi-author collective of Ranma fics from the early 2000s known as "The Altered Destinies." One of them--A Scary Thought (once the engagement is made, Genma tries to dump Ranma on the Tendos to raise, and Soun, suspecting his friend of laziness, insists Genma raise one of his daughters in exchange--in this case, Kasumi)--is still ongoing and would probably not count as old school, but most of the rest are either complete or long dead.

That includes A Very Scary Thought (another work by Bader--same premise as A Scary Thought, but with Nabiki instead of Kasumi), Switching Heirs (similar premise, but with Gendo raising Ukyo and Ranma staying with his mother), Most Unlikely of Friends (early meeting and friendship between the Tendo Family and the Chinese Amazons) and others.
42=19
... I find it unlikely it'd be Gendo raising Ukyo, but crossovers happen.
Eh, bad father, bad father, what's the difference? Smile

But yeah, typo on my part. Almost every Altered Destiny story is a megacrossover, but they don't start that soon.
42=19
I don't believe it was actually one of the Altered Destinies stories, but Aondehafka's White Rose had a very similar feel.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1253197/1/White-Rose
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.