Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 & US healthcare system: Flattening the Third
RE: COVID-19 & US healthcare system: Flattening the Third
Republican lawmakers who downplayed coronavirus concerns face backlash over getting their early vaccinations.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
How surprising.

Only valid question if it matters during the next round of voting. Given that's going to be at least 2 years, I have my doubts
Trump signs coronavirus bill.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Republican congressman-elect dies from Democratic hoax that vanished over the summer and doesn't affect anyone important anyway.
-- Bob

I was about to post that, with a slightly more respectful headline...

From the AP story:
Quote:"The family appreciates the numerous prayers and support over the past days but asks for privacy during this difficult and unexpected time"

Showing just what good "hopes and prayers" are.

So, what happens when a Congressman-elect dies before taking office?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
well, in this case, as mentioned in the written article, one has a special election.

Not sure it means they will drive the ballots to and from the poling place in the 'short bus'... but couldn't pass on the joke this morning.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
How horrified would the Founding Fathers (cue Judeo-Christian heavenly chorus) be about our lockdown measures infringing on liberty?  Representative Jim Jordan, (R-Ohio), was foolish enough to rhetorically ask that: 

Quote:Rep. Jim Jordan
@Jim_Jordan
60 million Americans are subject to a stay at home order or curfew.

11 million are right here in Ohio.

What would the Founders say?

People who knew some actual history explained to Congresscreature Jordan about smallpox quarantines instituted by George Washington.  They weren't particularly polite about it:
Quote:Kurt "Masks Save Lives" Eichenwald
@kurteichenwald
This is why we shouldn't elect wrestling coaches to be in congress if they have no passed a basic history and civics course first. Boston had a complete lockdown in 1778 after a smallpox outbreak. Many of the founders were there. They abided by it for months.
3:34 PM · Dec 29, 2020
Quote:The Rude Pundit
@rudepundit
It would have taken you less than a fucking minute to google this shit and discovered that George Washington ordered quarantines during the small pox epidemic in the 1770s-80s.
4:52 PM · Dec 29, 2020
Quote:Kevin M. Kruse
@KevinMKruse
There was a massive smallpox epidemic during the American Revolution.

Washington quarantined the infected, refused to let people from hot spots travel to his army, and even sent a thousand soldiers to Boston to prevent the spread there.

You should try reading a book sometime.
1:47 PM · Dec 29, 2020
-----

"Oh, my people had many gods. There was Conformity, and Authority, and Expense Account, and Opinion. And there was Status, whose symbols were many, and who rode in the great chariot Cadillac, which was almost a god itself. And there was Atombomb, the dread destroyer, who would some day come to end the world." — Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, H. Beam Piper
... Man. And here I'd put my initial complaints about these measures couched in terms that were just plain... wrong. Sad
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
When conspiracy theory becomes criminal action:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wis...d-n1252605

Quote: A Wisconsin hospital employee has been fired and arrested after removing dozens of vials of the coronavirus vaccine from a pharmacy refrigerator, intentionally destroying more than 500 doses, a hospital investigation found.

First Nashville, now this.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
.... Can this be construed as terrorism? Because I'd REALLY like for it to be declared Terrorism so fuck-faces like this will get the book thrown at them, and never come out from under it again.
Nashville? Yes. The vial sabotage? No.

It's not a deliberate attempt to scare the population for political goals.
(01-02-2021, 06:26 AM)hazard Wrote: Nashville? Yes. The vial sabotage? No.

It's not a deliberate attempt to scare the population for political goals.

That isn't the legal definition in Canada of terrorism.

Quote:In Canada, section 83.01 of the Criminal Code defines terrorism as an act committed "in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause" with the intention of intimidating the public "…with regard to its security, including its economic security, or compelling a person, a government or a domestic or an international organization to do or to refrain from doing any act."

I suspect that any decent lawyer could argue that this was committed in whole or in part for an ideological purpose in order to have a domestic organization refrain from doing an act.

Does the USA have a similar definition of terrorism?

EDIT: As for this particular case, I would expect the hospital to bring a civil suit against this person for the full costs of replacing the spoiled vaccines.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Here we go.  Straight from the definitive source. (https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path...ion=prelim)

(5) the term "domestic terrorism" means activities that—
   (A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;
   (B) appear to be intended—
      (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
      (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
      (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
   (C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States; and
(6) the term "military force" does not include any person that—
   (A) has been designated as a—
      (i) foreign terrorist organization by the Secretary of State under section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1189); or
      (ii) specially designated global terrorist (as such term is defined in section 594.310 of title 31, Code of Federal Regulations) by the Secretary of State or the Secretary of the Treasury; or
   (B) has been determined by the court to not be a "military force".

So yeah.  It's close enough that I think that it might qualify.  After all, rendering a critically important vaccine inert for ideological reasons does have far-reaching implications.
And anti-vaccination is definitely something that can easily be argued as an ideology.

Well, seems like somebody is in considerable legal hot water aside the whole deliberate destruction of property you have no business destroying.
Conspiracy theories kill. The humanity-hating parasite confessed to being into conspiracy theories. He is probably an anti-vaxxer too.
https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/pha...icials-say

I don’t think we should use terrorism as a catch-all term for incidents like this. What I do think is that medical and other health profesional schools need to start grappling with the problem of keeping conspiracy theory believers out.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
And speaking of humanity-hating parasites:
Whole Foods CEO John Mackey: The 'best solution' is to not need health care and for Americans to change how they eat and live

If that is so, next time he gets a cut, I want to see him pour lemon juice on it, and wrap it in kale.

Even if an mRNA vaccine could change the DNA, it's still an approved medical treatment for a dangerous disease and last I checked vaccination is not compulsory.
N.J. congresswoman gets COVID-19 after sheltering with maskless colleagues during U.S. Capitol siege

Quote:"I never was really in a mass of people until that day. And I never was around people who didn't have their mask on until that day," she recounted. "So I deduce that that's somehow how I got infected in that room."

Quote:"I have had my first shot, my first [COVID-19] vaccine shot. And I did have the monoclonal antibodies. I was told by one of the doctors that talked to me, that it's probably going to save my life."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Peggy's looking to see how she can write to Rep. Coleman; I'm not sure what she intends to say, but she was talking about it at dinner earlier tonight.
-- Bob

(01-12-2021, 07:26 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Peggy's looking to see how she can write to Rep. Coleman; I'm not sure what she intends to say, but she was talking about it at dinner earlier tonight.

These pages show how to contact Senators and House members:
Senate

House of Representatives

<nod> I told her already those pages existed, but yes, thank you.
-- Bob