Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York attorney general sues to dissolve NRA
RE: New York attorney general sues to dissolve NRA
Major NRA donor to challenge gun group's bankruptcy over alleged fraud
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Well, that must be a little inconvenient. It's one thing when you can make an argument it's a political hitjob, it's something else when one of your strongest corporate supporters goes 'wait a minute'.
ZING!

I hope that sticks, I really do. Corrupt bastards like these deserve to be lined up and shot with the very same guns they profited off of.
(01-15-2021, 08:08 PM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: Also, just because a corporation is a 'non profit' does not mean they cannot MAKE a profit... but most bank it against future 'lean' years.  *IF* these board members and high ranked employees actually can be proven to have done what is claimed...

Whaaaal.  There's a tree right thar, and I gotta rope.

Having created a nonprofit, I actually know a decent amount of these laws.  Nonprofits can make profits, more or less unlimited in "related" business income -- think like a nonprofit theater group selling tickets to its shows -- and a max of 50-90% in "unrelated" business income.  (Private foundations can make more, but donations aren't tax exempt to them.)  None of this is all that relevant, as the thing they're accused of violating is "private inurement", which is basically running the nonprofit for the personal benefit of the board or donors.  Paying salaries more than market rate or giving expensive perks is a no-no.  There could also be some self-dealing, where nonprofits buy services from its officers.  Not sure if that's alleged here, but self-dealing is why the Trump Foundation was shut down.

That said, nonprofit orgs are kind of a Wild West.  Violations are very common but rarely reported; my student council once got in trouble for endorsing a political candidate, which also violates nonprofit law.  They can lobby for causes, but not for people. (Most orgs like the NRA also have an associated PAC for political spending.)  People rarely get caught, and punishments are usually light, like most white-collar crime.  Ignorance of the law is kind of an excuse.  And as far as I know hanging isn't an available punishment.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(01-17-2021, 05:22 AM)Labster Wrote: And as far as I know hanging isn't an available punishment.

Ah.  And here I thought my bad accent was a clue as to the hyperbole involved there...  Thinking back to the days of lynchings in the old west, where the court of public opinion was unanimous as to 'whel yar honah, that varmint just needed killin'

Because, yes, if these allegations are correct, that these varmints did in fact subvert and use the NRA to line their own pockets, then regardless of the stringing them up jokes, they need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
[Image: srEINdF.jpg]
Federal bankruptcy judge rules NRA can't declare bankruptcy and must face corruption charges in NY.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
[Image: dbcXWKQ.png]