Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Crazy] Venus and Planetary-scale engines?
[Crazy] Venus and Planetary-scale engines?
A question the Venus terraforming program must solve.

How to accelerate the planet's rotation so it has a proper day-night cycle, and how to reduce the crushing concentrations of carbon-dioxide and toxic gasses.

And here I'm wondering, why not kill two birds with one stone? Teratons of gas will make for excellent remass - you just need engines big enough to accelerate it to escape velocity.

Proper angling of the thrust from these world engines could be used to accelerate the rotation of the planet.

These things will be utterly Babylonian in scale - requiring terajoules of energy for decades at a time.

It might even be possible to move Venus to co-orbit with Earth. Okay, so that arrangement will result in a collision if a few million years but by then humanity will be long-gone, and in the short term the benefits in venusian habitability will be worth it. And sure, if we can move it, we can stabilise it.

Thoughts?

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.

Messages In This Thread
[Crazy] Venus and Planetary-scale engines? - by Dartz - 08-09-2020, 02:03 PM