Done,
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVII
Regarding this, see here.

I'm not getting the banhammer out just yet because this is partly a clash of Academic Freedoms, but I've got out the metaphorical key to the cupboard where we keep the banhammer...

Shifting topics. The work in this analysis is obvious. What's the trope?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-05-2020, 11:48 AM)robkelk Wrote: Regarding this, see here.

I'm not getting the banhammer out just yet because this is partly a clash of Academic Freedoms, but I've got out the metaphorical key to the cupboard where we keep the banhammer...

Not sure on the second topic, but my take on the first, as the resident "Trump sympathizer who nonetheless can put his bias on the shelf".

Honestly, I do agree with Norm the page on Trump is leaking venom in places, but at the same time, apologism in the other direction is no better. I'd be in favor of a temporary locking of the page until this election situation is resolved because passions are HEATED right now, on both sides, might be wise to choke off the gas valve on another potential fire before it erupts.
Agreed. Lock the page and tell Norm "thanks, but we changed our minds, maybe in six months".
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(11-05-2020, 01:33 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 11:48 AM)robkelk Wrote: Regarding this, see here.

Not sure on the second topic, but my take on the first, as the resident "Trump sympathizer who nonetheless can put his bias on the shelf".

Honestly, I do agree with Norm the page on Trump is leaking venom in places, but at the same time, apologism in the other direction is no better. I'd be in favor of a temporary locking of the page until this election situation is resolved because passions are HEATED right now, on both sides, might be wise to choke off the gas valve on another potential fire before it erupts.

(11-05-2020, 04:44 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Agreed. Lock the page and tell Norm "thanks, but we changed our minds, maybe in six months".

After mentioning Academic Freedom on the Talk page as an answer to a request to cut off debate, I'm not sure whether I'm happy about this... but I see the necessity. "Six-month lock" it is.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Spammer or not?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-06-2020, 11:54 AM)robkelk Wrote: Spammer or not?

Yes. Kill with fire.
While I do that, somebody else talk to the new user here, please.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Bob and Geth, you do "bad cop" so much better than I do. Could I trouble one of you to address this one, please?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-06-2020, 03:56 PM)robkelk Wrote: Bob and Geth, you do "bad cop" so much better than I do. Could I trouble one of you to address this one, please?

Handled, the fool did it for other pages, gave them a long ban because it's obvious they don't care about the rules and won't bother looking at them.
Thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-22-2020, 04:10 PM)robkelk Wrote: (Shifts topics so hard you can hear the clutch pop)

I never had an account on TVT, so I don't know what the license options were back in 2012 for file uploads. And I'm seeing more than a few images of Trope-tan that we inherited from TVT in the fork.

Is it safe for me to assume these are all CC-BY-SA 3.0 (in this case the "BY" would have to be TVT), or do I have to leave them with unknown license terms, or does something else apply?

Since nobody's weighed in, I'm going with the "CC-BY-SA 3.0" option.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think that's a fair solution. And sorry, i haven't looked at the forums since Thursday night, I think, except to quickly post something IIRC.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
We have 15 tropes listed (on the "Needs a Better Description" page that we inherited from TVT) as needing better descriptions.

I haven't looked at them yet. Which of these pages have descriptions that are good enough, which can be fixed quickly, and which need to go back to the Trope Workshop?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Took a quick look.  I have no idea why some of these pages are on that list -- they're long enough that I wouldn't have blinked an eye at them.  Others are short, but they are concise and on-target and wouldn't really gain anything from expansion except the feeling that they were padded. 

Anyway, of the pages listed, the only ones I think actually need a better description for real are:
  • Come Back, My Pet
  • Hands Go Down
  • Robot Dog
  • Trampoline Tummy
I'm on the fence about Big Store and Soapbox Square.  Both are short and concise, but I wonder if they couldn't profit from being a bit longer.
-- Bob

I did some tweaking of Soapbix Square and removed the "Needs a better description" line. Big Store needs a pass for grammar, so I put that on the page as a cleanup tag.

As for the other tropes, I agree... and have added {{Needs More Info}} and {{cleanup}} to the three of your four that didn't have them.

Which means we can now redirect the page "Needs a Better Description" to the category "Needs a Better Description". <deadpan>Yay.</deadpan>
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And one more odd little task left over from TVT is done. I wonder if that page still exists there...
-- Bob

Speaking of TVT, even though the plagiarism issue was handled, and Fighteer continues to be a reasonable man, I love how there some people who think ATT is illegal plagiarism, not a legal fork, simply because they refuse to do proper research on copyright

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/query.php?pa...3&type=att

This comment in particular makes me facepalm:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/query.php?pa...ent-269531

I provided some elucidation to the issue here, and as Fighteer brought up, the issue is "self-plagairism", or basically using things between sitees with different copyright licenses without bothering to clear up it's original point of origin and reuse on a different site by the same author with a different license.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?di...omment-349

For legal reasons, we may want to make clearer, if we haven't already, how to avoid this, in our own documentation, and provide for the people who foolishly still think we are plagiarists ourselves all the legal reasons we are not spelled out so even someone who doesn't know big words can understand it.
I know we make mention of it here and there, but yeah, we might need a special page to put everything in one place.
-- Bob

Can it wait until Wednesday afternoon?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm in no rush.
-- Bob

Could somebody who co-wrote a book on the subject take a look at the King Arthur example here, please? Currently it's a confused mess of Arthurian legend, legends about Joan of Arc, and backstory from Fate/stay night...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If only we had someone matching that description... <grin>

I think we can safely cut all the Fate/* stuff and below from that example, as it has nothing to do with the trope. Or at least adds nothing more to the example than the original bullet point already does. Maybe we can transplant it to Gender Flip?
-- Bob

Looks like we can... at least, most of it. And I have.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Since this is post #300 in the thread and I wanted to ask a question, I started a new thread.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown