Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVII
Added a cleanup tag to Fairy Tail/Characters - because I have no idea how to make sense of what's there.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(09-13-2020, 01:38 PM)robkelk Wrote: Just did a quick fix: The "Upload file" page no longer asks for a license - it now states that a license is required.

Quote:To protect All The Tropes, select the appropriate license information from the "Licensing" menu below. THIS IS REQUIRED. Files without license information will be deleted without discussion or warning.

I'm surprised none of us thought to do this earlier. Kudos.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(09-12-2020, 06:41 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 06:29 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 08:50 PM)GethN7 Wrote: Edit: Already stripped all my user rights save my bureaucrat one, Miraheze Staff need to do that, please have them do so ASAP.

The request has been made. I suspect that the process might go faster if you were to countersign the request; you only need User rights on Meta to do that.

Done. Thank you for letting me know about this.

I have just confirmed that User:GethN7 now has only Autoconfirmed rights on the Miraheze fork of All The Tropes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just noticed that there are zero noir films listed in Femme Fatale.  This seems like a slight oversight.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(09-15-2020, 12:52 AM)Labster Wrote: Just noticed that there are zero noir films listed in Femme Fatale.  This seems like a slight oversight.
Looks like you have a project... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I know I'm self-banished to our Wikia branch, but just a heads up, I'm giving it a massive upgrade to be more in line with our Miraheze branch. This includes importing pages we are missing, cleaning up garbage our Miraheze branch dealt with awhile back, and otherwise making one of ATT's two wings more attractive for troping.

I could use some help with templates, as Wikia does not love Lua very much, so if anyone could help me port over Lua templates or help make Wikia versions of ones Miraheze's branch uses that Wikia doesn't have the same extensions for, that would be helpful.

Also, I'm working with Wikia to get an image dump from Archive.org imported to fill in the blanks on the Wikia branch, plan to ask them to delete all unused images we aren't using then tag the rest appropriately.

If anyone here want to help out, I would appreciate it, there is a lot of cleanup needing done.
I've been tagging images that we aren't using but can't be deleted - see here, but I'm not even 15% of the way through the old-image list - that project is probably going to take a decade to complete, not counting the work I've already done. I don't know whether Wikia has the same issues with deleting these images that Miraheze does.

As for templates, how many Lua templates do we have? (It isn't something that I use. Every template that I've made has been pure wiki markup, unless they include DPL.)

EDIT: Fixed the page link. I previously gave the link to files we're missing instead of files we can't get rid of.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I wish I knew enough about Lua to be even marginally useful on that front. I keep intending to study up on it, but... <shrug>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I've managed to fill in most blanks with Wikia's own subsitute templates for now, and they are plannng an upgrade to play nicer wth Lua scripting.

As for the image tagging, gotcha Rob, I may be wildly optimistic on that front.
Found a solution to the "people not using licenses for images" issue on Wikia

https://dev.fandom.com/wiki/NoLicenseWarning

This will likely require some adaptation for Miraheze, but worth trying.
(09-16-2020, 03:11 PM)robkelk Wrote: As for templates, how many Lua templates do we have? (It isn't something that I use. Every template that I've made has been pure wiki markup, unless they include DPL.)

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:Al...espace=828
Module namespace, you can probably work backwards from there.

(09-16-2020, 04:37 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I wish I knew enough about Lua to be even marginally useful on that front.  I keep intending to study up on it, but... <shrug>

Lua is a very simple language.  To the extent that you pretty much use a library for anything past a primitive function.  The one-wikipage Scribunto manual was enough for me to learn how to write our templates (along with StackOverflow, of course).
Thanks for that link, Brent. I'll have to bookmark it in every browser I use for ATT work.
-- Bob

Gentlemen, Wikia finally has a Multiboilerplate function via this:

https://dev.fandom.com/wiki/PreloadTemplates

Unfortunately, due to some anal retentive restrictions on the MediaWiki namespace, I had to delete the copies I imported via XML dump and will have to do a manual copy and port to Template format for ATT Wikia. While I came up with most of them to begin with, I plan to still properly attribute them in the edit history for my manual conversion regardless.

Edit: Rob, I tried to get Wikia to import that 2018 archive of images archived on Archive.org for Miraheze, but they said without proper attribution, they won't sign off on it. Ergo, that means I need to either do it all manually, or wait until ATT gets all their images properly tagged then import that to the Wikia side.
I believe Wikia uses Cloudflare, and I know Miraheze does, so this may be of interest:

The Register: Internet Archive's way cool Wayback Machine gets way more websites in Cloudflare fail-over pact
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've been XML Exporting pages from Miraheze for the Wikia branch hand over fist, but it's paid off. Not only have I filled in a lot of blanks in the Wikia branch, I copied the File pages for the images we need from Miraheze via XML dump (uploading them took forever, but was worth it), so that way, I can reacquire fair use friendly ones if the original TV Tropes versions weren't and now the code to prevent unlicensed uploads is live on Wikia, the image attribution/missing images issue will solve itself in time.

It's also on the backburner since Wikia is busy upgrading their backend, but I'm going to have them flush the hordes of unused images with no licenses uploaded prior to make the cleanup easier and flush remaining artifacts of the predecessor to the current ATT Wikia branch run by a libertarian who was more comfortable running legal risks than I am with copyright.
We have tropes about masks - enough for their own category - but they're all about domino masks, superhero masks, or full-face masks. We don't appear to have one about masks that cover the nose and mouth but leave the eyes and forehead uncovered.

I'd make a page for the Trope Workshop, but I have no idea what to call it... Any suggestions?

Four examples, as required to show that this isn't Too Rare To Trope:
  • Soujirou wears one in one episode of Lucky Star to reduce his hay fever symptoms.
  • Sailor Mars wears one in one episode of Sailor Moon when she's ill.
  • Since they're required to be worn in operating rooms in order to protect the surgical team and the patient, they show up often in M*A*S*H (television)|M*A*S*H and other medical shows.
  • Everybody - at least, everybody who gave a damn about other people (rephrase that slightly before posting to the wiki) - wore one during the COVID-19 pandemic.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-18-2020, 05:59 PM)robkelk Wrote: We have tropes about masks - enough for their own category - but they're all about domino masks, superhero masks, or full-face masks. We don't appear to have one about masks that cover the nose and mouth but leave the eyes and forehead uncovered.

I'd make a page for the Trope Workshop, but I have no idea what to call it... Any suggestions?

Four examples, as required to show that this isn't Too Rare To Trope:
  • Soujirou wears one in one episode of Lucky Star to reduce his hay fever symptoms.
  • Sailor Mars wears one in one episode of Sailor Moon when she's ill.
  • Since they're required to be worn in operating rooms in order to protect the surgical team and the patient, they show up often in M*A*S*H (television)|M*A*S*H and other medical shows.
  • Everybody - at least, everybody who gave a damn about other people (rephrase that slightly before posting to the wiki) - wore one during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Medical Mask" sounds to the point and simple enough to me.
I shared this message privately with Bob, Brent, and Rob a few days ago, and I am going to make it public now because I have some added context I believe deserve public acknowledgement:

Quote:Now that I've long since calmed down, I want to say, to three people I hope still consider me a friend, that I'm sorry for why I left in a huff awhile back and turned over the car keys.

I acted in what I felt was the best interest of our Miraheze branch, but I fully acknowledge to the three of you the way I went about it was against policy, I was needlessly antagonistic and emotional, and while I believe was doing something my own morality was comfortable with, I still left the three of you with a lot of grief that could have been avoided.

And for that, I could not have been more wrong, and I will choke down the humble pie on that, because I should.

As to whether I wish to return to ATT Miraheze to have my mod/bureaucrat hats back, I would like to eventually, but I pulled rank, made an ass of myself, and let myself be swept up in emotion, and I deserve punishment for that, so at least until Christmas, or whatever other time you three agree is suitable, I shall continue to remain in control of only our Wikia branch until you three believe I can return to my former place at Miraheze, and if you wish to solicit community opinion on that when or if you three deem my possible return to be on the table, I shall submit to the will of the majority at that time.

Until then, I apologize once again for how I acted and how I caused you all undue grief, and I could not be more ashamed of any possible wedge I drove between us. I hope that can be remedied in full at some future date, but in the meantime, I can only offer my apology for my foolishness and will leave whatever and whenever you deem fit for my possible return entirely at your collegial mercy and allowance.

And if a similar event as the one that led to my leaving occurs again, I shall recuse myself and surrender my powers once again to avoid any other repeats of this regrettable breach of faith and trust I caused.

P.S. - As to the legal concerns I had, I reconsidered all of your views and believe I may have acted precipitously and rashly, and I shall defer to your collective wisdom in the future instead of assuming only I know best, and the three of you may hold me to that.

This all said, I offer the same apology to anyone else who felt I abused my authority, I regret sincerely the breach of faith and trust I caused.

As for the time I may return to resume my former place at ATT Miraheze, when or if I am allowed or ask to do so, it will not be anytime soon. I have been heavily working on modernizing, cleaning up, and otherwise bringing ATT Wikia onto a much more equal footing with the Miraheze branch because it is woefully out of date. I expect it will take until at least December to get the place to something resembling cleaned up enough to not be filled with unfinished pages, unlicensed images (at least those inherited from prior projects), spam, and other junk. Until then, I have no intention of interfering with the administrator decisions of ATT Miraheze in any way and will confine myself to ATT Wikia in an administration role.

Should I be accepted BACK to Miraheze's ATT in my former role, the above can and should be used to hold me accountable. No amount of moral indignation on my part justifies what I did in a procedural sense, and to avoid it in the future I shall simply surrender my powers once more (or they can be forcibly removed by consensus of the other admins). Until we get to whenever we decide on that, I'm simply going to clean up our Wikia branch and not interfere with the workings of Miraheze, and not offering any input there except as a regular user.

As for the legal reasons I left, it is my hope and contention they should be long settled by Christmas, or such is the idea, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

In the meantime, if anyone wishes to help me clean up our Wikia branch, do let me know if you are interested.
Thank you for posting this in a public forum, Geth.

I have my hands full on Miraheze, especially with the image-license-identification project - no time to spare for Wikia, alas.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Mind you, I can't do just the image-license-identification project - I need to change gears every so often.

I got the "Pages for speedy deletion" list on Miraheze down to two entries, one of which I think can still be salvaged and the other specifically saying the examples need to be moved before page deletion... then I added more to the list. Today's nominations need discussion.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'll take care of Bizarro Episode sometime today. I'm the one who first noticed it, after all, five years ago; I should follow my own recommendations and merge its examples into Non Sequitur Episode before turning it into a redirect.
-- Bob

(09-21-2020, 07:43 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'll take care of Bizarro Episode sometime today.  I'm the one who first noticed it, after all, five years ago; I should follow my own recommendations and merge its examples into Non Sequitur Episode before turning it into a redirect.

Thanks, Bob.

Here's the entire content of Mystery Arc, one of the pages that I tagged for deletion last weekend.

Quote:The bases that must be touched in the traditional game of mystery storytelling. This arc is most commonly used in Mystery Fiction and Detective Fiction.

1. Start to Corpse
  2. Evidence Scavenger Hunt
  3. Perp Sweating
  4. The Summation
  5. Book'em, Danno

Yeah, that's it.

A list of tropes is not a Useful Note. However, as I said in the "delete" template:
Quote:While it might serve as the basis for a skeleton of a page along the lines of "So You Want To/Write a Mystery Novel", nobody has bothered to turn this into an article of any sort in the last eight years.
And I don't know enough about mystery stories to be able to do that... but if anybody else does and wanto to give it a try, feel free.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
New-to-ATT troper, one edit so far that shows (s)he's from TVT - https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...id=1808083

Don't have time right now to do the "welcome and please read this page" post on the troper's talk page... or to check whether the contribution is copied from TVT.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-21-2020, 02:26 PM)robkelk Wrote: New-to-ATT troper, one edit so far that shows (s)he's from TVT - https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...id=1808083

Don't have time right now to do the "welcome and please read this page" post on the troper's talk page... or to check whether the contribution is copied from TVT.

Checked, not a ripoff, but they have no MediaWiki markup knowledge.

Edit: I'm having Wikia Staff blowtorch all unlicensed images off the Wikia branch. I plan to hold that side of ATT to the same standard as Miraheze in terms of legal adherence.
I think that list probably needs to be moved to the Detective Fiction page (or maybe Mystery Fiction page?), maybe with a close link to the Mystery Tropes category. The Mystery Arc isn't much of a trope itself, it's a collection of tropes.

I probably do know enough about mystery fiction to take a stab at that page, but my experience in actually writing mystery is pretty limited.