Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 US election - It Came from Washington DC
RE: 2020 US election - It Came from Washington DC
For that matter, every politician should be audited every year as a matter of course and principle. You do not want them to have any irregularities at all, as those would distract them from their jobs.
(09-28-2020, 04:32 PM)hazard Wrote: For that matter, every politician should be audited every year as a matter of course and principle. You do not want them to have any irregularities at all, as those would distract them from their jobs.

B-b-b-but being audited every year would distract them from their graft!  Have you no sympathy for the cares and woes of the idle wealthy?!

-----
A bas les aristos! Vive la République; pas le Parti Républicain!
Another absurd day in politics over here.  If you want to see the video of Trump's recently fired top campaign manager being taken down by the cops, there's video out there.  They told Brad Pascale to get to the ground and under five seconds later, an officer tackles him.  All because he was apparently committing suicide... and they seized ten guns.  Okay.  Let's just pretend this is an ordinary Florida Man story and move on.

Nancy Pelosi is pointing out that if the election goes to the House of Representatives to tiebreak or otherwise resolve a dispute, that a strong majority is not enough to elect a President.  In fact, the each state gets one vote in the House of Representatives.  So this means that all of 53 of the California delegation would vote, and the majority would count as one vote.  And all one of the delegation from Alaska would caucus with himself, and count as one vote.  And all one of Wyoming.  And all one each of Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Delaware, and Vermont.  So if you're keeping track, 40 million people = 1 vote; 4 million people = 6 votes.  Democracy in action.

Anyway, Democrats currently hold a majority in 22 states and Republicans hold a majority in 26 states, with two having ties.  So unless Dems can take the majority of those seats in a contested election... well, it depends exactly how contested the election is.  Can I just go back to the point that the Speaker of the House is taking this possibility seriously?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(09-28-2020, 05:39 PM)DHBirr Wrote: B-b-b-but being audited every year would distract them from their graft!  Have you no sympathy for the cares and woes of the idle wealthy?!

I have plenty of sympathy for the cares and woes of the idle wealthy. To ensure they are not bothered by thieves, charlatans and other criminals I endeavour to make them as unappetizing a target as possible.
(09-27-2020, 08:24 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 07:56 PM)Rajvik Wrote: First of all, your believing the NYT, again. How many times have they been proven wrong? answer, a lot.
If there really is "a lot", then you should have no problem naming three cases. Please do so. EDIT: And I want actual citations, not a pointer to a propaganda film like the last time I asked you to support one of your statements.

Or are you confusing the NY Times with the NY Post?

i assure you rob, i would not stain the NYP with a tenth of the tar and feathers that the NYT deserves. It's going to take a bit to compile the list, partially because i will have to buy a new book so i can steal its bibliography, but i will leave you with two, shall we call them incidents? that the NYT not only undersold but blatantly lied about.

The Ukrainian Genocide of the 1930's

The Holocaust
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Extremely relevant for those two events, when did the NYT lie about those two events, and when did they stop?
Just on a side note, Peg and I cast our ballots last night. Even if we weren't going to be out of state on November 3, New Jersey is operating on an all-mail-in-ballot basis due to COVID-19, and in addition to getting them mail-in has set up dropboxes for them all over the state -- massive heavy steel boxes under video surveillance. We deposited our ballots in the box a couple miles a way -- the first time I've ever used a literal ballot box.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I already voted. Sent my ballot by mail this morning.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Drove to City Hall and handed mine to the City Clerk this afternoon.  Windrip's sabotage of the USPS couldn't prevent that vote going in.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
As I type this, it's less than three hours before the first presidential-candidate debate of the election. Having seen each of them debate in public before, I'm not expecting much from these two (and will have a movie in the BluRay player during the "debate").

Honestly, I'm looking forward to the vice-presidential-candidate debate more than I'm looking forward to this one. At least those two know how to speak in public and how to make points... and if we're really lucky maybe we'll actually get some policy discussion from them instead of the constant name-calling at other levels of politics in the USA (but I'm not holding my breath on that).
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Ten minutes into the debate, and it's already a shitshow. Trump and Biden interrupting each other, Trump interrupting and talking over the moderator's question for himself for minutes at end, Trump interrupting Biden's question. Biden saying that everything Trump has said is a lie.
Meanwhile, I watched Girls und Panzer OAV 4. If I'm going to have to watch something ridiculous, I might as well enjoy the view.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As soon as I learned that the moderator was not going to fact-check Trump, I decided to pass on the debate. Peg is watching it right now, but I'm going to content myself with after-action reports tomorrow. Especially since it won't affect my vote at all, it being cast and all.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I used "shitshow" to describe it in the first hour today, and after seeing the rest, I think that word was really overselling the level of debate.  My opinion of shit is significantly higher than of what happened tonight.  The first US Presidential debate was some Necronomicon level stuff, and should not be watched by anyone.

From the 538 liveblog wrapup post, where each blogger invents a headline for the story they saw:
Quote:Be sure to check back tomorrow for our post-debate poll with Ipsos and our crew’s reaction to the debate on the podcast. Headlines from the live blog crew below:

Perry: Trump Interrupts Biden, Wallace And Americans’ Ability To Follow The Debate
    Maggie: What If The Presidential Debate Was Like the Worst Fight Your Uncles Ever Had At Thanksgiving
    Kaleigh: First Presidential Debate Hits A New Low, In A Year Of Nothing But Lows
    Amelia: Everyone Lost The First Presidential Debate
    Nathaniel: This Was The Worst Debate America Has Ever Had
    Geoffrey: Maybe The Only Debate Takeaway Is That Trump Still Refuses To Say He Will Accept The Results Of The Election
    Shom: An Anticipated Debate Leaves Much To Be Desired
    Micah: 2020 Is Perfectly Encapsulated In First Presidential Debate
    Galen: Trump Uses Debate As Metaphor For His Governing Style: Chaos
    Chris: Response On Twitter Suggests No One Wins Race-To-The-Bottom Debate
    Meena: There Are So Many More Days Left In 2020
(09-29-2020, 09:07 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ... but I'm going to content myself with after-action reports tomorrow.  ...

Fox News's Bret Baier: "Maybe America lost".

MSNBC's James Carville: "It was not a very good night for American democracy at all."

CBC's Alexander Panetta: Not a very good night for America

Quote:It was a far cry from the first televised presidential debate in 1960.

In that one, John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon spoke in complex and complete sentences; avoided interrupting each other; and began with an exchange on the need to become a fairer and more racially equal country that shines its example unto the free world.

Oh, and the incumbent (a) was called for interrupting 53 times, and (b) told a specific far-right white-supremacist group known for bringing weapons to peaceful protests to "stand back and stand by", showing on national live TV that he's quite willing to use force to retain power. (A sane President would have told them to stand down.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Five Republican congressmen voted against a House of Representatives' resolution calling for peaceful transfers of power following an election.  These "gentlemen" object to the resolution as an attack on their Leader.  Representative Matt Gaetz (R-Florida) even used the Russians' anti-democracy term "colour revolution."

-----
Considering that one dictionary definition of "carry on" is to "behave or speak in a foolish, excited, or improper manner," the designers of that famous poster, "Keep Calm and Carry On," need to make up their flippin' minds!
(09-29-2020, 08:17 PM)Labster Wrote: Ten minutes into the debate, and it's already a shitshow.  Trump and Biden interrupting each other, Trump interrupting and talking over the moderator's question for himself for minutes at end, Trump interrupting Biden's question.  Biden saying that everything Trump has said is a lie.

Amazing that one of the CNN commentators actually used the term "shitshow" to describe the debate as a whole.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/stat...0680014849

Trump and Melania tested positive for COVID.

That said, given the level of care he has access to, I find it highly doubtful he's going to die. At the same time, if he does, that will obviously affect the elections.

Also, at the end of the day, love or hate the man (and while I do prefer him to his opponent I'll accept the electoral results either way), I'm not going to hope this kills him, and I hope no one else here does too. I have relatives and close friends who were barely spared the Reaper thanks to COVID, and while I know there is not a lot of love for Trump here politically, I hope, as human beings, that everyone here will not wish for his death.

Edit: For the record, I would say the same if Biden was afflicted.
I find myself in the off position of thinking that if he gets a mild dose it'll just make the rhetoric worse. 'I had it and it was nothing'. That'll get a lot more people killed.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
1. Anything to do with Trump should be presumed a lie and a scam until verified by three independent parties.

2. He should be shown the same respect, concern,  and attention that he has bestowed on the 200,000 dead and counting.

3. Could not happen to a nicer guy.

My thoughts and prayers are with the virus.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
All I care about is that as long as he's removed from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington DC as soon as possible, the better for the whole world. If this incapacitates him to the point where the XXV Amendment HAS to be invoked even by the selfish loons in Cabinet, so much the better.

My thoughts and prayers are with Melania and the younger child. They don't serve such a selfish jerk like Twumpy.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
Ah, you all beat me to it. I was going to start a new thread with the title "Trump Contracts Democratic Hoax".
-- Bob

(10-02-2020, 01:35 AM)GethN7 Wrote: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/stat...0680014849

You're a better person than I am, Geth.
--
‎noli esse culus
(10-02-2020, 01:35 AM)GethN7 Wrote: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/stat...0680014849

Considering how he's been behaving during the pandemic, the only surprise here is that it didn't happen sooner.

It's a shame that his wife had to be exposed to the virus as well because of his choices.

(10-02-2020, 01:35 AM)GethN7 Wrote: That said, given the level of care he has access to, I find it highly doubtful he's going to die. At the same time, if he does, that will obviously affect the elections.

He got his test results the same day that he was tested. Nobody's going to let him die from this, even if he is in a high-risk demographic.

I hope that, since he campaigned against publicly-funded health care, he'll be paying 100% of the costs for this health care out of his own pocket. (He can afford it, right?)

(10-02-2020, 01:35 AM)GethN7 Wrote: Also, at the end of the day, love or hate the man (and while I do prefer him to his opponent I'll accept the electoral results either way), I'm not going to hope this kills him, and I hope no one else here does too. I have relatives and close friends who were barely spared the Reaper thanks to COVID, and while I know there is not a lot of love for Trump here politically, I hope, as human beings, that everyone here will not wish for his death.

Edit: For the record, I would say the same if Biden was afflicted.

Agreed. Wishing somebody dead in order to make a point is just evil.

And we'll find out whether two meters distancing during that rather loud debate earlier this week was enough to stop the spread of the virus to Biden. If it wasn't, we may have to change our protocols everywhere, not just in the USA.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
You can bet that once this became public the Biden campaign started aggressively testing Joe.

And sure, they're not going to let Trump die, but that doesn't mean he's going to survive. He's part of the high risk population, even with good care there's a distinct risk of him dying.

As for paying for it himself; members of the US Congress have publicly funded healthcare, you think any of those officials who decry publicly funded healthcare ever refused that financial support? Even when those who could afford it?