Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fanfic Recommendations: The Next Generation
RE: Fanfic Recommendations: The Next Generation
"Recommendation" is a relative term here.

Back in 2015, OverMaster Wrote:Ripped from today's screaming Internet headlines! Review it before it's outdated! A burning question! A vexing riddle wrapped in a mystery inside of a Chinese box! What will your answer be? Contains some rude, harsh language.

It's a naive domestic crackfic without any breeding, but I think you'll be amused by its lack of pretension, especially if you remember the Question of the Millennium or are familiar with enough of the fandoms (said to be) represented.

Quote:Mahou Sensei Negima!, Medaka Box, To Love-Ru, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun | A Certain Scientific Railgun, Boys Empire, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon | Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei, Keroro Gunsou | Sgt. Frog, Bible Black (Anime), Dangan Ronpa

https://archiveofourown.org/works/3600138
Black Hole Heart is the first new Naruto fic I've found readable in years, with the premise being a Sakura who doesn't suck because the Inner Sakura joke the fandom makes so much of is actually the Venom symbiote (likely based on the 2018 movie version, but adapted to fit the setting anyway) has been passed down through her maternal line as a sort of faux bloodline limit technique.

Note that it is still Venom, so there's some very casually treated cannibalism going on, but I'm pretty sure I put more actual gore into my own Naruto fic while filing it under "canon-typical violence" in my mind. The characters do tend to feel like older teens rather than twelve year olds, but that too is typical of Naruto in text form, so, whatever. Just a warning for anyone who really doesn't want to deal with that kind of thing, as part of my ongoing "don't be an asshole" campaign. It's a work in progress.

AO3 index link

Alas, it seems to have run into that fanfic meta-trope of the author getting distracted by something shiny and new, posting one more chapter after a couple of years and promising to finish it with another update "soon," and then dead-ending, but what is there is fun and it manages to be a decent stopping point even if it is open ended due to the lack of a wrap-up chapter or two. Possibly better than even many professional works end up being when they do have that wrap-up, Vision of Escaflowne and the Harry Potter crapilogue springing immediately to mind.
--
‎noli esse culus
In a will of fire by a_sassin, Azula (AtLA) is reborn as the third child of the head family of the Uchiha, a few years after Sasuke. This works out surprisingly well for all involved.

Quote: “I am not cute! I will crush my enemies!”

But these people – her parents – had only smiled, and said –

“Of course you will, darling.”

“And you’ll make sure they never get up again.”

And, well. Wasn’t that refreshing?

AO3 link
--
‎noli esse culus
Fyre, Fyre, Burning Skitter by mp3_1415player: https://archiveofourown.org/works/527022.../133306393

Quote: There's a very old concept in magic: Never call up that which you cannot put down. Shame the Death Eaters didn't know that...

Now they have Skitter.

Whoops...

A little present to mark the end of 2023! Just in time for the end of this year and the beginning of the next.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
"We have these skull masks, and the killing curse!"

"We have a Skitter."

And that was when they knew, they done fucked up.
--
‎noli esse culus
CRYSTALS WERE INTEGRAL (Worm/Atomic Robo)

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...t-97921357

A dimensional portal dumps DR. DINOSAUR into Brockton Bay in April 2011. Earth-Bet is about to get everything they deserve.

(What's that? You copied the link but forgot to actually paste it? I have no idea what you're talking about...)
This Star Wars fic just updated and reminded me that it existed.

The Sleepover To Restore The Republic

In which Luke decides that the best way to process the revelation that Vader is his father is to, well...

Quote:“Anyway, I kept thinking it over, and since we both want the Emperor gone, we’re basically on the same side, right?” Luke points to himself. “Rebel scum.” He points to Vader. “Also, rebel scum, except you come in black.” 
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/th...t-18227289

Ghost Spider … what do you get when you drop a symbiote-equipped Gwen Stacy in the middle of Gotham? A lot of confused bats and many misunderstandings…
Last night, Grace was an ordinary teenager in Ohio, who thought the war was something a long way away that mostly impacted other people.

This morning, she's an Abyssal. Or is she?

A Crown of Biosteel
Sucrose Octanitrate.

I will freely admit that my first thought from that description was of an Exalted isekai.
Sakura Haruno the Gaming Addict and Her Gsmified Life is exactly what it says oni the tin, in the key of crack played on a musical saw. It's often funny, but the violence and consequences are played straight, with some AU elements (mainly RL online games and gamer/internet culture being things that exist to allow for the premise) also included. Currently only mid Wave arc, and Sakura is pretty much In Name Only again due to the premise, but it's been a fun read even if it's not any kind of great literature. Stories where something gets both Sakura and Kakashi to pull their heads out of their asses from the get-go are too rare to skip over for less than utter wallbanger plot holes and errors.

SV threadmariks link
--
‎noli esse culus
All the things that you stood by before (Mass Effect 3)

See, the difference here is that Alenko is having to come up with his position on the spot, without really understanding what he’s done wrong. Garrus has been putting the finishing touches on this resentment for a galactic standard year.

Garrus has a specific set of concerns, with Kaidan Alenko on board the Normandy again. They're not what most of the crew predicted.
Hadal Blue Orchid

Congratulations, you've just been isekai'ed into someone else's xianxia novel.

Zhao Zi Lan, up and coming young cultivator, remembers her past life as an ordinary person on Earth.
She is also Chief Servant to the Blooming Peony Sect's Young Mistress, Wang Mei Lin.

And then there is Apparently Nobody, Chen Hui Qing, come out of nowhere to join the tournament for entry into the Sect.

Time for intrigue and adventure!
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Tonnage: A Gotham teen winds up inheriting the powers of Marvel's Fred Dukes (aka The Blob). Up to chapter seven and it hasn't gone well for him so far.

https://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-34246/Da...onnage.htm
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
Wednesday Potter & Enid Reveal Some Secrets at Hogwarts by Writing_Heroics
https://archiveofourown.org/works/471103.../118690408

Quote:What it is!
- Wednesday Addams' mind somehow merges with 12 year old Harry Potter's memories and she calls out a bunch of strange things in HP canon
- Fluff with Wednesday and Friends
- Slice of Life with plenty of 'Tongue in Cheek'
- Characters are considered to be complex and flawed
What it isn't!
- Canon rehash
- Bashing

Want a single story? Read to 83 and stop. Alternate AU endings happen after that.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg