Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Laura
Hurricane Laura
Just a check in on our posters in that area.

Are you guys prepped and/or evacuated?

Vibes from JAX, FL
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
RE: Hurricane Laura
"Two confirmed deaths were reported by officials in Louisiana."

Did we lose anybody?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
We don't have any 14-year-old girls among the board membership (that I'm aware of), so we can eliminate that as a possibility.

I must admit that I'm concerned the projected path sends Laura right over us sometime around midnight Saturday, best as I can tell. That's the third damned tropical storm to hit NJ in 6 weeks...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
TBH, I was hoping it'd swing this way. As I've said elsewhere, our aquifer barely qualifies as an aquifer as it will slowly drain its contents over time. And it doesn't help matters that everyone who can will tap into it. (Yes, they do need to get approval from the Edwards Aquifer Authority, but that's still a lot of wells dug.)

Long story short: We need every drop of rain we can get here, and having Laura swing this way would have been just the thing. While some people freak out over the rain, I just smile as it comes down hard enough to flood the streets, and look forward to seeing how much the water level in the aquifer goes up in the next week.
And despite my earlier post it didn't swing our way. Saturday-Sunday was sunny and dry.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
i was ready for it to come to the areas around Pensacola and Mobile, but then every hurricane season i stand ready. i feel for you and your aquifer BA, dry decades are a bitch
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Well, it went east like you predicted, but rather further north than you were anticipating.
(09-04-2020, 10:39 PM)Inquisitive Raven Wrote: Well, it went east like you predicted, but rather further north than you were anticipating.

As late as yesterday, we here in Chambersburg, Pennsyltucky, were still getting either rain from her dissipation or rain into which her after-effects seamlessly segued.