Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mauno Luna, Mauno Luna, Men Have Named You
Mauno Luna, Mauno Luna, Men Have Named You
Reflecting on the name she's adopted, I suddenly made a (very silly) connection to a song most famously performed by Nat King Cole.  

On a less silly note, though, how likely is it that Beryl and/or her Shitennou remember the name of a high-level aide to Queen Serenity and, if they somehow encounter the name "Mauno Luna," may suspect the likeness between that and a name that translates into Japanese as "Mau no Luna" is more than coincidence?  Activities that get her "new name" added to records the youma could access might come back to bite the kitty-cat in her tail.  She's probably safe (security by obscurity) as long as they don't have reason to look at and report any of the occasions that she's used it, but she has created a vulnerability there....

(Edited to correct a faulty phrasing.)
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
RE: Mauno Luna, Mauno Luna, Men Have Named You
For bonus pun points, have the results play out during a field trip/vacation episode to Hawaii, perhaps involving a plot to harnes the energy - geomantic or emotional - related to a certain volcano.

(Though the picture was actually Kiluea)
--
‎noli esse culus
Actually, something that's not yet occurred to either Luna or Doug is, given her memory issues combined with how many other "automatic" translations have been forced on her, how unlikely it is that Luna's name in the Silver Millennium actually was "Luna"...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(08-27-2020, 12:14 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Actually, something that's not yet occurred to either Luna or Doug is, given her memory issues combined with how many other "automatic" translations have been forced on her, how unlikely it is that Luna's name in the Silver Millennium actually was "Luna"...
For all we know is Mau don't have easy Human pronounceable names, but are given an Advisory name in the theme of the court they serve in.
Huh. That's something I hadn't thought about -- given their natural shapeshifting abilities, what the Mau's native language must sound like... presumably it would be pronounceable in both forms.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(08-28-2020, 08:39 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Huh.  That's something I hadn't thought about -- given their natural shapeshifting abilities, what the Mau's native language must sound like... presumably it would be pronounceable in both forms.

And is the "human" form her natural non-cat form (if there's even only one such), or was it adjusted to be "a form you are comfortable with"?

Imagine the following:  Usagi coaxes Luna to show her true non-cat appearance.  It looks like Karellen from Childhood's End.  Oh, dear.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
That would be a major plot point -- unfortunately it doesn't fit my plot.
-- Bob

Most of the time in Sailor Moon, even the monsters are relatively attractive and femenine anyway. Quite a few are a dab of body paint and a manicure away from runway models.
--
‎noli esse culus
(08-28-2020, 12:32 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: That would be a major plot point -- unfortunately it doesn't fit my plot.
Well, I wasn't really trying to suggest you should add it in.  Just tossing weirdness out there....
-----
(08-28-2020, 10:09 AM)DHBirr Wrote: And is the "human" form her natural non-cat form (if there's even only one such), or was it adjusted to be "a form you are comfortable with"?

Imagine the following:  Usagi coaxes Luna to show her true non-cat appearance.  It looks like Karellen from Childhood's End.  Oh, dear.

Allow me to quote from All The Tropes' page about Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, because this seems apropos for this particular idea:

Quote:A Form You Are Comfortable With: Mahiro tells Nyarko he pictured Nyarlathotep far more monstrous. She offers to show him some of her other forms... if he doesn't mind losing his sanity. Mahiro passes. Cue a shot of 20 sanity points getting dashed off of a Call of Cthulhu (tabletop game) character sheet.

(Like Bob and DW, I don't think I'll use this in There's Nothing Better, either.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(08-28-2020, 04:57 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 10:09 AM)DHBirr Wrote: And is the "human" form her natural non-cat form (if there's even only one such), or was it adjusted to be "a form you are comfortable with"?

Allow me to quote from All The Tropes' page about Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, because this seems apropos for this particular idea:

Quote:A Form You Are Comfortable With: Mahiro tells Nyarko he pictured Nyarlathotep far more monstrous. She offers to show him some of her other forms... if he doesn't mind losing his sanity. Mahiro passes. Cue a shot of 20 sanity points getting dashed off of a Call of Cthulhu (tabletop game) character sheet.

(Like Bob and DW, I don't think I'll use this in There's Nothing Better, either.)

I think I'll use it in There's Nothing Better.  But only for Andy's girlfriend.  She has many forms.  And don't worry, he's an asstard, he deserves it.

If you read Sailor Moon for what it is, good things are pretty while evil things are either pretty or hideous, depending.  Neutral things are Umino-looking.  Worst case scenario Luna's true form has swirly glasses.  But also Tin Nyanko has a similar human form.

In my Silver Millennium/Silmarillion crossover, I get to think about it from a different angle.  It makes sense that the children of Eru (God) outside of Aman (Solar system) would have a physical form that was pleasing to Him.  Pretty much all of the squamous horrors were created or corrupted by Melkor (Chaos) (the Devil).  So lots of humanish forms sound good.  And kitty forms as well -- probably the scariest the Mau would get would be looking like Mughi. (It might be possible for maupeople (mauans?  muons?) to have their ability to change their form (hroa) corrupted to the extend that they become monsters on transforming, but this wouldn't be normal or beneficial -- more like Sauron's inability to take physical form (fana) after he lost the One Ring.  Or like the other corrupted peoples, like orcs and balrogs.)
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto