Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The research surprises me again
The research surprises me again
So tonight I was working on the next scene in DW-S, and by a long convoluted set of steps that started with me on Wolfram Alpha looking up the weather in Tokyo at 6:30 PM on May 27, 1992 and ended with me in Google Earth putting pins in DW-S locations, I found myself back at the building known today as "Joule A", which is on the site of the former "Jewel A", the real-world counterpart to the Osa-P Jewelry Store owned by Naru's mother. Google Maps used to have a walk-through of the building, mostly taking you through the offices of some kind of golf training/simulator outfit.

That's no longer there.

What is there now is a Sailor Moon-themed dinner theater, called "Shining Moon Tokyo".

I kid you not.

Well, "dinner theater" is probably the wrong term.  It's more like those "meal and a show" places in theme parks.  But by god, it's Sailor Moon action at a genuine Sailor Moon location:

And judging by this video, it's a whole hell of a lot better-done than that pathetic Sera Myu that was on Broadway for a few weeks last year.

The only bad part about this is because of the COVID-19 emergency, it went out of business about seven weeks ago, not quite a year after it opened in August 2019.  They're holding out hope that they might reopen after the virus abates, but... <shrug>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: The research surprises me again
Minor update: while doing a bit more location research, I stumbled across a video taken of the finale of the dinner show. To my pleased surprise, the performance did not make me cringe the way the Broadway Sera Myu did last year. In case anyone's interested:

EDIT: A few moments after I posted this, I came across another video taken from the back middle of the audience. (This was apparently a "curtain call"/encore thing that visitors are allowed to record.) Anyway, the place looks very tiny, and if even a fair number of shows were as sparsely attended as in the linked video, it's no wonder they shut down; they can't have been making enough money to keep going.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

can't say your wrong about that. Sad

what I can say..... is those folk in black? were they 'stage crew' or the Monsters of the 'day'/week.... or both?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Your guess is as good as mine.
-- Bob

(10-10-2020, 04:38 PM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: ... 

can't say your wrong about that.  Sad

what I can say.....  is those folk in black?  were they 'stage crew' or the Monsters of the 'day'/week....  or both?
In my understanding of things;
A Kobuki show which is a mixture of Music Dance and Theater (which these stage Shows could possibly counted as) the Stage hands, and "unimportant" background characters, would wear black as a sign that they were to be ignored so as not to upstage the Main Characters of the scene.  Most of these were the people that would change the Scenery around while the play was ongoing to represent either travel, or a changing point of view.  The Idea was that the audience would focus on the main act as it moved around the stage, while the rest of the Kobuki would pick up and rearrange the set and backgrounds that were "Out of Focus".

I hope that helps.

So the People in black are Stage crew, and the Evil one's Minion creatures, as needed.   The necessary "Extras" that can be ignored, or over looked.
(10-10-2020, 04:38 PM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: ... 

can't say your wrong about that.  Sad

what I can say.....  is those folk in black?  were they 'stage crew' or the Monsters of the 'day'/week....  or both?
In my understanding of things;
A Kobuki show which is a mixture of Music Dance and Theater (which these stage Shows could possibly counted as) the Stage hands, and "unimportant" background characters, would wear black as a sign that they were to be ignored so as not to upstage the Main Characters of the scene.  Most of these were the people that would change the Scenery around while the play was ongoing to represent either travel, or a changing point of view. 

The Idea was that the audience would focus on the main act as it moved around the stage, while the rest of the Kobuki would pick up and rearrange the set and backgrounds that were "Out of Focus".

So the People in black are Stage crew, and the Evil one's Minion creatures, as needed.   The necessary "Extras" that can be ignored, or over looked.

I hope that helps.