Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unofficial: The first line sets up the story
Unofficial: The first line sets up the story
To get a story going, you need the audience to bite that hook. Dangle some bait for me!

example Wrote:"Well that's unusually polite for a summoning," [character] said, looking down at the magic circle that included an explanation of its purpose spinning around the edge and an actual progress bar and timer ticking down to when it would activate.

Remember, the goal is a first line, not a complete story prompt. Don't try to pack in too much or you'll sound like the blurb at the beginning of a comic book. The goal is to draw the reader in, not slap them with a sockful of gravel and drag them aboard while they're stunned!

bad example Wrote:Seized by a press gang and taken to sea, [character] was freed when the crew mutinied against their cruel captain, but now guilty by association, [pronoun] must try to find a place in this harsh new life!

I guess you can go as much as a short paragraph if you need to, for the sake of avoiding run on sentences. Powers know I have enough trouble with that without having them incentivized.

example Wrote:[character] sat listening to the sounds pf nature. The rock was warm, and the sunset was beautiful. "It's finally over,' [pronoun] sighed.
--
‎noli esse culus
RE: Unofficial: The first line sets up the story
"Hey, aren't you the asshole who sent me to prison? And here I was starting to think that you were cute."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown