Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
Okay, I'm stumped.

Where should we mention scènes à faire in So You Want To/See a Template? It's a pretty basic building block in the mechanics of writing, and an important matter regarding copyright - we have to mention it somewhere. But I don't see any place in the template where it's appropriate to mention it.

(Mind you, it's the end of a long and busy week for me - maybe I'm just too tired to see the obvious place for this.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Just a small update: Miraheze should have removed all the old LiquidThreads remnants, so we should have no pages that are corrupted beyond repair floating around.
(12-04-2020, 09:41 PM)robkelk Wrote: Okay, I'm stumped.

Where should we mention scènes à faire in So You Want To/See a Template? It's a pretty basic building block in the mechanics of writing, and an important matter regarding copyright - we have to mention it somewhere. But I don't see any place in the template where it's appropriate to mention it.

It seems to me that it should be adjacent to or part of the "Necessary Tropes" section right at the top.

And maybe we should have a page for "scènes à faire" as part of the Mechanics of Writing category.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(12-05-2020, 04:33 PM)GethN7 Wrote: Just a small update: Miraheze should have removed all the old LiquidThreads remnants, so we should have no pages that are corrupted beyond repair floating around.

And there was much rejoicing!
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(12-05-2020, 04:59 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 09:41 PM)robkelk Wrote: Okay, I'm stumped.

It seems to me that it should be adjacent to or part of the "Necessary Tropes" section right at the top.

And maybe we should have a page for "scènes à faire" as part of the Mechanics of Writing category.

Agreed for the need to have a separate page for it - at the least, we have to explain the difference between scènes à faire and Stations of the Canon.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'd like to propose restricting the All The Tropes project namespace such that non-admins can no longer edit or create pages in it. I know only a few months ago I went through and protected everything in there, but we had an un-autopatrolled user decide we needed another shortcut today, so he created it. Not a big deal by itself, but given that we've restricted edit access to the pages in the namespace because they are often policy declarations, it seems to me that it might be a good idea to keep anyone from creating unauthorized "policy" pages, however briefly they might exist before we jump on them with hobnailed boots.

EDIT: I just noticed that it's the same user who prompted me to protect all those pages three months ago. <sigh> Apparently he took "don't edit pages in the project namespace" as literally has he could and figured he wasn't banned from creating new pages. I've issued a "don't do that again" warning on his talk page.
-- Bob

If a user who asked to have the contents of a namespace protected is going to play in that namespace, then, yes, we need to do something about protecting that namespace from that user.

May as well protect the namespace from everybody else who isn't an admin, too.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think that this is a collection of all the maps on the wiki = if not, then it's most of the maps.

Do we want to replace most of them with dynamic maps that we don't need to update every time somebody changes a border? There's an extension for that - all we have to do it turn it on and figure out how to use it. At least this extension has documentation. (Being used by NASA helps there.)

There's actually two extensions for maps that we could switch on, but Kartographer - the one in use on Wikivoyage - has a prerequisite that I don't know whether will interfere with other things on the wiki. (Which is a pity, because I already know how to use Kartographer.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, now what's going on? I'm getting a "can't process edit due to loss of session data" on anything I try to save. And I can't log out and log back in again -- if I try to log out I get an "Invalid CSRF Token" notice.

Edit: Never mind. A quick Googling and a subsequent cookie clear fixed it.
-- Bob

Lion Warrior is back again after two months, and his first edits have once again been to post links to stills of female characters as examples of "Male Gaze". I'm really starting to get sick of that... and him. <sigh>
-- Bob

The exchange with WENth100 on his talk page raises a good point -- we should list the license templates somewhere users can see them and copy them, since they can't use the dropdown after the initial upload of a file.
-- Bob

(12-07-2020, 10:24 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Lion Warrior is back again after two months, and his first edits have once again been to post links to stills of female characters as examples of "Male Gaze".  I'm really starting to get sick of that... and him.  <sigh>

I saw your comment... and I'll point out that "failing to learn from an honest mistake" is on a particular list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-07-2020, 10:44 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: The exchange with WENth100 on his talk page raises a good point -- we should list the license templates somewhere users can see them and copy them, since they can't use the dropdown after the initial upload of a file.

A project for me for this evening!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-07-2020, 12:56 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 10:24 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Lion Warrior is back again after two months, and his first edits have once again been to post links to stills of female characters as examples of "Male Gaze".  I'm really starting to get sick of that... and him.  <sigh>

I saw your comment... and I'll point out that "failing to learn from an honest mistake" is on a particular list.

Good point.  If he does it again, which I have no doubt he will, that'll be the next step.
-- Bob

(12-06-2020, 06:29 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, now what's going on?  I'm getting a "can't process edit due to loss of session data" on anything I try to save.  And I can't log out and log back in again -- if I try to log out I get an "Invalid CSRF Token" notice.

Edit:  Never mind.  A quick Googling and a subsequent cookie clear fixed it.

Whee - my turn to get hit with this. Same fix.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-07-2020, 12:57 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 10:44 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: The exchange with WENth100 on his talk page raises a good point -- we should list the license templates somewhere users can see them and copy them, since they can't use the dropdown after the initial upload of a file.

A project for me for this evening!

It's up and protected. And linked to from ATT:Uploading and Adding an Image to a Page - that seemed to be a logical place to link from.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Cool! Thanks, Rob.

And while you were doing that I had to deal with a new user whose first action was to cut-and-paste a trope page from TVT directly into the Main namespace.

Which actually leads me to ask... Do we actually ever point new users automatically at the various info pages they need to see when their registration is complete? And whatever happened to the plug-in or extension or whatever that posted a welcome message on new users' talk pages? I haven't seen that in action in years. Maybe we should get it back, include a list of the welcome/info pages in the message, and maybe in big bold letters right at the top say "Don't copy from TV Tropes!"
-- Bob

(checks the extensions list)

HAWelcome -- Conflicts with flow
New User Message -- Conflicts with flow

We can have either an automated new-user welcome message XOR Flow. EDIT: Unless somebody can find a Flow-friendly extension somewhere and get Miraheze to approve it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Joy.
-- Bob

(12-07-2020, 01:17 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 12:56 PM)robkelk Wrote:

Good point.  If he does it again, which I have no doubt he will, that'll be the next step.

And he did.  By reverting one of my reverts of his edits.  He's got a two-week tempban with a warning of a permanent ban if he does it again.
-- Bob

I support your action here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hurray! Undeletable Files is empty! And I was just able to delete a file that I expected would end up in that category.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I don't know enough about NetHack to be able to answer this question with any accuracy. Could somebody else take a swing at it, please?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Taken care of, assuming I understood the question properly.
-- Bob

Thanks. And I've added my five cents to the discussion. (Can't add two cents - Canada doesn't use pennies any more. Smile )
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown