Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III
RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III
Doing okay here. A week left to go before I get the final cast off, which I'm really looking forward to. This cast is just a little shorter on my toes than the last one, and it's causing some... difficulty. Sores and bruising, mostly. I miss being able to walk.
If you're going to send someone to save the world, you might make sure they like it the way it is first.
Don't know how I missed this thread before now.  Touch wood I've not had any direct problems from the virus.  Working from home constantly since end March is not ideal but at least I'm working and considering I would have been sharing an office with several people who did come down with the virus (although only mild cases) it was for the best. 

The lockdowns are annoying but I've got enough essential shops nearby that I can get what I need.  For everything else there is internet shopping.  Well except for an haircut which I had booked for last Monday and the rules changed on the Saturday but that is a first world problem as the saying goes.

Mark
Update on my last report: We're back in isolation again. One of the nurses visiting my residence had COVID. However, we only got the news just a few days ago, so the staff imposed a lockdown on us...

...just before the premier of Ontario imposed a province-wide lockdown effective Saturday morning.

Happy Holidays, all...!
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
Picked up and dropped off gifts yesterday... my parents have apparently gotten their vaccinations now (we still stayed outside and fully masked up, elbow bumps instead of hugs, etc). We'll be doing the gift openings over Zoom later today.

Regarding the Ontario lockdown tomorrow... I can see that getting people to preemptively cancelling attempts to have a gathering today to avoid potentially getting locked down in someone else's house/having guests for 3-4 weeks instead of two days if something comes up that delays departure, or to have a strong request from officials to isolate themselves once they get home from the gathering.

I'm starting to suspect that what we were seeing locally was the effects of ill-advised Halloween parties (they actually had to break a few up in places), and the declines have been facilitated by a large percentage of people actually taking responsibility for keeping this thing from being worse than it is elsewhere. That said, we're still not counting it as a proper decline until the middle of January, even though the state numbers are really encouraging.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Check in: still here, everyone is still well.  This time last year, the whole family got really sick with a respiratory illness, which was bad enough I thought it might be an early case of the coronavirus.  That seems pretty unlikely now, with the later earliest known cases in California, and that no one lost their sense of smell and taste.  This year, not even a cold, though the Santa Ana winds brought some allergies, of course.

At first I thought that people were putting more Christmas lights because people wanted to celebrate something, and had more time off work.  Well, they did, but after driving around, it seems the phenomenon was mostly limited to my middle-class neighborhood.  Weird.

We live near a hospital, and I'm getting tired of all the sirens all day long.  What's the rush?  All of the ICU beds are taken!  But hey, lockdown ended yesterday, time to get back to shopping.  Or not.  I'm treating this as the most dangerous time we'll see, and hoping to avoid human contact as much as possible.  Happy New Year, everyone!
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Haven't dropped by here for a couple of days, but no need for alarm, I just got sucked into Disgaea 5 again. Still working on grinding all the items up to Epic rank, which takes a couple of hours each, so with 42 each of nine weapon types, 40 armors, and another two or three dozen assorted consumables and accessories (plus the same again but in the Land Of Carnage versions after finishing those off) I have plenty to keep me occupied for some time even if I kept straight on with it instead of losing interest after a while and going back to other things.
--
‎noli esse culus
I'm alright

Virus going like a bat because of Christmas. Deaths are up. But if the moloch of capital is satisfied with these sacrifices we may be blessed with a vaccine soon enough.

Had mates over a couple of weeks ago in the bar and it almost felt normal.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Peg and I are still fine, but we just got word that our younger nephew in Pittsburgh -- who's been living with his parents and older brother through the pandemic so far -- has just tested positive, no doubt thanks to the part-time job he recently got. The family's in quarantine, but no one seems to have severe symptoms yet.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Alive, well, out of the lab until next week. Had the fun of discovering termites in the house on the weekend, and getting the treatment today. $$$ Sad
Alive, and grumbling about the weather... oh wait. we have a separate thread for that.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Still around. Still alive. Still bored out of my gourd... but that's a first world problem.

(12-29-2020, 04:29 AM)Labster Wrote: ...  But hey, lockdown ended yesterday, ...

Whereas here they've stopped saying "lockdown until January 26" and are now saying "lockdown through January 26 at the earliest".
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
The Netherlands are currently under lockdown. It started in early December, and will continue until January 18th.

Vaccinations will start on the 8th, I would suspect that the first to be vaccinated are the hospital staff and geriatric care facility staff and residents.
Ah we had our first vaccination today.

Also had our highest daily total ever.

It's a Race!

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Still here, still in lockdown. Although it appears like my roommate's recent (and second) Covid determination was in error. If so, we've been chasing a false positive for the last week. <sigh>
Frustrating, but better by far than an actual positive, or a false negative. Small consolation, of course, but after the past year we have to take any small victory where we can find it.
--
‎noli esse culus
Still here. Prepping for New Years.
I'll just leave this here before getting back to cleaning up the mess 2020 has left us.
NO QUARTER!

Still ticking. Nailed the door shut for the rest of the year, we'll also be spending the first three days of the new year staying inside and AWAY FROM OTHER FUCKING PEOPLE.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Still here, enjoying my only holiday since before everyting kicked off.
Still doing fine.  Tried to get food from a fast casual restaurant yesterday, but it was closed due to COVID, so lame.  In the county, about 10% of all of the coronavirus cases reported so far were reported this weekend.  Whee exponential growth.  I'm planning to go to Costco tomorrow, then hunker down for a month.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
If you buy up all their bog roll you'd better share!!!
NO QUARTER!

I get that feeling. After the roommate's latest Covid diagnosis was revealed to be a false positive (yeah, that was fun...) the entire city drifted into the red zone thanks to a bucket load of people who clearly ignored the rules for Christmas. So now I'm ordering from the delivery app. Going anywhere, even to the grocery store, is just too dangerous.

I'm starting to think hibernating animals have the right idea...
Oh, dear. I'm late for checking in.

*sings White Rabbit's bit from Alice in Wonderland*

Almost ninety new cases in the county yesterday, and yet people are STILL coming in to vacation... in JANUARY. When the temperature is in the low 40s F. From as far away as Michigan, Maine, and Arkansas. And most businesses around here are shut down for the season.

What is wrong with some people?
“In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
Keeping on keeping on. Filled the last space in the Console Room 3/4 Arcade Roster this week. Debating what the exact next step is for that room.
(01-07-2021, 05:55 PM)DeputyJones Wrote: Oh, dear. I'm late for checking in.

*sings White Rabbit's bit from Alice in Wonderland*

Almost ninety new cases in the county yesterday, and yet people are STILL coming in to vacation... in JANUARY. When the temperature is in the low 40s F. From as far away as Michigan, Maine, and Arkansas. And most businesses around here are shut down for the season.

What is wrong with some people?

You have temperatures above freezing and you're wondering why people from Michigan and Maine are coming to visit. I trust I don't need to spell that one out for you.

Arkansas... I'm just as puzzled as you are on that one.

And I'm a couple of days late on my own check-in, too. Am I here?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown