Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III
RE: COVID-19 Check-In Thread Part III
*remembers to post here*

Still here. Still grumpy. Still not working, approaching one year now. Sad
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
(02-18-2021, 02:01 AM)Labster Wrote: Officially quit my job today, and looking forward to life as a hikikomori.  I still have a month to work, because I chose my own separation date.

Based on my discussions with other people, I'm starting to get the impression that I am deeply underpaid.  At least one person in the same position as me makes another 50% more than I make.  I mean, he's better than I am, but not by that much.  So I'm thinking this was the right decision, and it gives me something to look forward to in interviews for new jobs.  I actually need to start looking.  At least I have several months of salary saved up, and this is a great time to look for remote work.

So funny story, my work decided to say "you can't quit, you're fired!"  So as of today, I officially resigned, but I still get the pay that I would have earned had I still been working as severance and I'll be officially terminated at the end of next month.  So actually, hey, I'm in pretty good shape, a one month vacation.  As a comedian, I've always wanted to do the "You can't quit, you're fired!" bit, which is finally off the bucket list.  And, of course, after this resignation I'm looking forward to spending more time with my family.

Oh, and now that I'm not actually working there, I'll note that based on people in the same position as me in the company, I was earning $40000-$50000 less.  I'm quite happy to be moving on this point, I just need to find a place to move on to.

Oh, and health.  There's a sad story here I'm not going to tell, because all it would do is depress you.  But the people I live with are all fine and healthy, as am I, which is almost enough.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
*sweatdrops at last check-in date* I am getting very bad at this. Sorry!

Still okay, still working, still wondering when I'll be getting my vaccination.

On a brighter note, Congrats to my coworker in security, Wendi, whose grandchild has just been born. Mazel tov!
“In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
Still alive, still working, still getting p***ed off by customers/shippers/IT companies/people not supporting local business/traffic in even this situation/builders taking up the entire pavement/myself for not being used to this sort-of-thing...
Still getting by here. Had a cosplay prop project effectively go south because of incompatible materials... and the backup material doesn't look like it's any better.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Still here.

Gonna try hooking up a new monitor to see if my laptop display problem is the graphics card or the actual display. Considering the size of the new monitor, I may keep it to use with any replacement laptop on the grounds that a bigger display will be easier to read.
Still kicking around. The job search phase for me is ramping up. Now that I have a better idea of what I can focus on going forward, the trick now is finding some place in those fields to give me an opportunity. But at least I have a direction, now. Next, I need to see what I need to do to rebuild my resume. It's probably not optimized for this.
Still around... and got a call from my va hospital monday. Here I was wondering where I stood in their 'pecking' order for vacination...

The answer was... Yesterday.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
I've been around but haven't posted here, so, here I be. No ganoos is good ganoos.
--
‎noli esse culus
Not dead.

Just realised I'll probably never get called up for vaccination either. I haven't seen my GP since I was - maybe - 6. Have never been to hospital. Never so much as had a check-up.

Be bad news anyway so fuckit.

Otherwise. The usual. I can barely do my job anymore - just brain disnitegrating like. And the usual frustrations.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(03-03-2021, 03:08 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: I've been around but haven't posted here, so, here I be. No ganoos is good ganoos.

With Gary Gnu.
I'm still surviving.

Kilroy
Still here.

The water department is changing out water meters around here. There were about three contractors listed on the notification I got along with a number to call for an appointment. So far so good, right?

Well, someone showed up to do the work unannounced and my housemate let him in. I did manage to get her to check the guy's ID. I also managed to verify that the visit was legit by calling the contractor's phone number (from the original notification) and verifying it.
Still here, still going to work.
Still here. Still managing to make my SAN rolls.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Germany still locked down much. Doing daily walks, weather permitting.
----
Web Home
We've a 5km lockdown radius. Took the Mazda for a warmup spin for the first time in weeks. That little Angry rotary heart just wants to scream and spit fire. It left that radius very quickly. But that was a damn good feeling.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

My father turned 75 today. Prayers and good wishes for him are welcome.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Still alive, well, and of normal size. Managed to get my medical assistance turned off for a while by not spending my stimulus money, but setting up a PA ABLE account and making a number of long-needed purchases brought my resources down to an acceptable level. Also, my brother saw a voice acting gig he thought might interest me and offered to buy me a USB microphone as a belated birthday present, so there's a significant risk I might start a podcast.
So this week's check-in coincides with some Snow Day Prepping for us... we're picking up a fresh batch of groceries tonight, and I need to dig the snowblower out of the shed and set it up behind the carport fence with a tarp on it so it's ready for duty Saturday and Sunday. Seriously, they're predicting anywhere from 10 to 24 inches of snow over the weekend.
Check in time.  Still going to work, still physically OK.  Mentally?  I'm probably getting too used to the quiet.
I've lost my ability to do my job properly. IT feels like I'm constantly in fight-or-flight skittering between things rather than being able to fully focus on anything in particular. It's coming to a head and it's turning me into a proper misereable bastard. I'm constantly being told to hand things off to people but - doing that requires actually thinking about them in detail and --- it's an incredibly pernicious trap.

It feels like everything I do is wrong in some way.

Still here.

I have set up a new monitor for my laptop. AFAICT, the problem with the original display has to do with the connection between the graphics card and the actual display. The big clue was when I changed the angle of the screen and suddenly the image cleared up. Unfortunately, it didn't stay that way. Then I found out that the webcam that I bought ages ago and never used also had a faulty connection because I need an external webcam due to the laptop's built-in webcam now having a lousy LOS of me. Fortunately, it turns out there're ways to turn a smartphone camera into a webcam.
Still here, still kickin', get my first shot on the 19th.
“In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
Still here. Still alive. Still waiting for my first vaccination shot... but at least now the multinationals who pulled their pharmaceutical manufacturing out of Canada years ago to save money are finally allowed to send us some of the vaccines we paid for months ago. Shots for the general public aged 80 and older start this week.

No hope of me getting my first shot before Easter... or my second shot before August.

EDIT: And the Canada/US border? Don't expect it to re-open any time soon... now for your protection instead of ours.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown