Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Trailers Thread II
RE: The Trailers Thread II
No Time to Die final trailer
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Right, let's see the next fantasy series about to be butchered.

I suppose it helps the series has concluded and the author's dead.
I wonder if the doc smith estate has passed to someone who doesn't hate Lensmen yet? It would be cool to see an actual adaptation of that, instead of what was done with the 90s anime OVA. Not that it was bad in its own right as long as you allow for the then-current state of the art for blending 3D and cell animation, but literally nothing save a handful of names were actually related to the original books, and they could be done so much better on even a modest budget today.
--
‎noli esse culus
I gotta admit, while reading the Lensmen books, every once in a while I'd come across something that would make me pause and shake my head at the cultural baggage of the time.  Like for one thing, EVERYONE smokes.  Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, you name it.  Or the head of the Star Patrol's entire medical department commenting that he can tell how moral the hero is because of how straight his bones are on an X-ray. ( Huh  Confused Huh )

a less amusing realization was that I don't recall a single non-white Earthman showing up.  Nobody with black, brown, red, or yellow skin. There was a villain who was human in form other than his blue skin, and some aliens who were distinctly non-human, but every Earthling was Caucasian.  Dodgy
(09-02-2021, 11:14 PM)Norgarth Wrote: I gotta admit, while reading the Lensmen books, every once in a while I'd come across something that would make me pause and shake my head at the cultural baggage of the time.  Like for one thing, EVERYONE smokes.  Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, you name it.  Or the head of the Star Patrol's entire medical department commenting that he can tell how moral the hero is because of how straight his bones are on an X-ray. ( Huh  Confused Huh )

a less amusing realization was that I don't recall a single non-white Earthman showing up.  Nobody with black, brown, red, or yellow skin. There was a villain who was human in form other than his blue skin, and some aliens who were distinctly non-human, but every Earthling was Caucasian.  Dodgy

On my count, it was the idea that women only stopped wearing skirts habitually when the antigrav tubes replaced elevators, and that only strong jawed men did the punching out.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
(09-03-2021, 06:25 AM)LynnInDenver Wrote:
(09-02-2021, 11:14 PM)Norgarth Wrote: I gotta admit, while reading the Lensmen books, every once in a while I'd come across something that would make me pause and shake my head at the cultural baggage of the time.  Like for one thing, EVERYONE smokes.  Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, you name it.  Or the head of the Star Patrol's entire medical department commenting that he can tell how moral the hero is because of how straight his bones are on an X-ray. ( Huh  Confused Huh )

On my count, it was the idea that women only stopped wearing skirts habitually when the antigrav tubes replaced elevators, and that only strong jawed men did the punching out.

oh yeah, the 'Proper Women are psychologically incapable of violence' was another of those weird concepts, I recall the characters commenting that a mob hitwoman was obviously mentally damaged based just on the evidence that she was a killer.
Guys? Please take the Lensmen discussion elsewhere? It's off topic for this thread.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Red Notice

One the one hand, I love Edgar Wright films, and each movie seems better than the last, but on the other hand, I hate horror films. Sad
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
The Matrix 4 Resurrections
Borderlands meets D&D in...

Complete with BABYMETAL soundtrack, apparently.
-- Bob

-- Bob

Finch (staring Tom Hanks)
-- Bob

A new nature miniseries hosted by Will Smith coming to Disney+
A longer clip from Red Notice, mentioned above already:

So what I'm getting between the two is "Mad Magazine's Black Spy vs White Spy (vs Red Spy) The Movie." And that's awesome.
--
‎noli esse culus
How have I failed to hear about this before now?

-- Bob

HBO's House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel)
And history repeats itself...

I like the extreme closeup on the one cop that shows his name is "McAllister". Incoming cameo?
-- Bob

-- Bob

-- Bob

The Flash

Hawkeye Trailer 2

Batman trailer 2
-- Bob

-- Bob