Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Election - The curtain starts coming down
RE: 2020 Election - The curtain starts coming down
Yesterday, Pence told Trump he doesn't have the authority or power to block Biden's win. Naturally the White House immediately responded by delcaring Pence said no such thing.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Amusing opinion piece from USA Today: "Four years later in Georgia, Trump implosion destroys the Republican Party" When an article starts with "Over the past year, we’ve witnessed a slate of horrific campaign strategies that until now, any sentient carbon-based life form would avoid." you know it's going to be unabashedly partisan but enjoyable to read.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(01-06-2021, 01:14 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 07:29 AM)SilverFang01 Wrote: I wonder now that Mitch is a minority, will Republicans allow him to vote?

But of course.  The Republicans have always been about minority voting -- as long as you're the right minority, namely rich and white.

And male, of course.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I don’t ever want to hear again how the Republican Party is the only one who respects democracy or the country:

“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(01-06-2021, 01:22 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Amusing opinion piece from USA Today:  "Four years later in Georgia, Trump implosion destroys the Republican Party"  When an article starts with "Over the past year, we’ve witnessed a slate of horrific campaign strategies that until now, any sentient carbon-based life form would avoid." you know it's going to be unabashedly partisan but enjoyable to read.

A particularly delicious turn of phrase:
Quote:President and alleged human Donald Trump
-----
A bas les aristos! Vive la Démocratie!
Human-shaped fistula Ted Cruz giving aid and comfort to conspiracy theorists:

And here is historían Kevin Kruse refuting:
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Capitol building evacuated and locked down due to pro-Trump riot.
-- Bob

(01-06-2021, 01:17 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Yesterday, Pence told Trump he doesn't have the authority or power to block Biden's win.  Naturally the White House immediately responded by delcaring Pence said no such thing.

Pence says "Yes, I did."
-- Bob

I guess they're using tear gas inside the US Capitol, gas masks have been distributed to members of the House, who locked themselves in the chamber.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
This is looking more and more like force of arms to suppress a violent insurrection is likely to be needed.
I've seen a number of comments that the Police are much gentler with people literally trying to storm the Capitol to overthrow the results of an election than with BLM peacefully protesting.

Best wishes for everyone in the US.
One live report was headlined:  Trump supporters storm U.S. Capitol, halting electoral vote count
Bullet points within it included the following...

Quote:• Ahead of the count, Trump spoke at a rally protesting the results, and repeatedly said he would join demonstrators who were planning to march to the Capitol.
• The president did not join them, and returned to the White House instead.

So "Fearless Leader" egged the mob on to storm the U.S. Congress ... and of course wussed out on his promise to be with them as they did.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
If you didn’t see what’s happening in DC coming, you were not paying attention.

It really is a coup d'etat of the Yahoos.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Trump's not going to burn in hell.

The ninth circle is the fate of traitors ands it's frozen.
(01-06-2021, 02:36 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Capitol building evacuated and locked down due to pro-Trump riot.

AP says the Capitol was not evacuated.

(01-06-2021, 02:53 PM)DHBirr Wrote: So "Fearless Leader" egged the mob on to storm the U.S. Congress ... and of course wussed out on his promise to be with them as they did.

If he had taken part, that would have been treason. All that can be pinned on him for this is sedition.

Not that it matters, really. Advocating overthrow of Government is a separate crime in the USA.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Capitol stormed, armed stand-off outside House chamber
-- Bob

Didn't Dartz once bet that Donald Trump would be impeached?

It may well pay out.
C-SPAN is really going all-in for sweeps this year.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Provided for the convenience of readers in the USA who are interested in immigrating to a country where English is spoken:
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-03-2021, 08:38 PM)Norgarth Wrote: [Image: pm4FxzG.jpg]

2021, you had one job.

One. Job.

And it only took you six days to fuck it up.

What the hell, 2021?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Video of Trump inciting the riot

Army activates DC National Guard
-- Bob

Police are clearing trumpites out of the Capitol.
-- Bob

Now stand by for arguments that since the Senate didn't certify the election on the 6th as constitutionally mandated, the power to select the president devolves to the House.