Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Election - The curtain starts coming down
RE: 2020 Election - The curtain starts coming down
The House with a majority Democratic members? That House?
-Now available with copious trivia!
I hope that the Democratic Party drops the reconciliation bullshit and govern as if they received 90% of the vote.

BTW, Ossoff has been called as the winner in GA
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(01-06-2021, 03:31 PM)robkelk Wrote: Provided for the convenience of readers in the USA who are interested in immigrating to a country where English is spoken:

You are missing the Netherlands Big Grin

(01-06-2021, 03:49 PM)robkelk Wrote: 2021, you had one job.

One. Job.

And it only took you six days to fuck it up.

What the hell, 2021?

Hey, with the UK it happened pretty much instantly because Britain exited the EU at midnight December 31st/1st of January. From where I'm sitting the problem isn't that big.
(01-06-2021, 04:46 PM)nocarename Wrote: The House with a majority Democratic members? That House?

The House where, for selecting a president, each state delegation has one single vote. And there are more Republican than Democratic states. THAT House.
It had been identified months ago as a probable endgame of Trump's election shenanigans: confuse, obstruct and delay enough that the decision devolves to the one instance where Republicans have a majority
Pod person replaces McConnell, puts nation before party.

And Ted Cruz actually advocated prosecuting the rioters instead of excusing their actions as boyish exuberance in defense of their nation.  Possibly because his own ass was threatened.

EDIT: Whoa. Lindsey Graham, too. He's even agreeing with Biden that it's an insurrection. What the hell, Republicans? Don't you know that these violent yahoos aiming guns at your comfy seats in the Capitol are your devoted followers? How can you turn on them like that?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Oh, and I'm hearing second-hand (meaning via Peggy, who's been watching the news all afternoon) that the electoral college vote count is apparently continuing in lockdown, and as soon as the Capitol is cleared it will be reported in the chamber.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Gohmert makes one last valiant attempt to come out on the wrong side of history.
-- Bob

(01-06-2021, 05:19 PM)nemonowan Wrote: The House where, for selecting a president, each state delegation has one single vote. And there are more Republican than Democratic states. THAT House.

Oh yeah. I'd repressed that part of your Rube Goldberg machine of a government.

Damn it.
-Now available with copious trivia!
Incoming Congresswoman Cori Bush (D-Mo.) introduces legislation to expel all House members who supported election challenges
-- Bob

Manufacturing group calls on Pence to 'seriously consider' invoking the 25th Amendment
-- Bob

And it's not just Washington, DC...
-- Bob

According to CBS-TV news as I type this, a Democratic lawmaker has just tweeted that the Capitol complex is now secure and that Congress should return to session and complete the electoral college certification.
-- Bob

So far there's one shot dead in the Capitol, and two bombs disarmed. Seriously, these protesters are as bad as that mob of Canadians and British who visited a few years back.

I'm wondering how much intelligence has been looted from the Capitol by the Russian agents who are definitely in that crowd?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
McConnell calls attack on Capitol "insurrection", blames Trump.
-- Bob

Trump family suddenly realizes there are consequences to inciting violence, begin frantically backpedaling. Ivanka was apparently the last one to get the memo, because she was still praising the mob attacking the Capitol as "American patriots" before suddenly making a 180 into less legally problematic waters.
-- Bob

CBS-TV news is reporting one death, a woman who was shot earlier in the afternoon, but I haven't found a link or any details yet.
-- Bob

(01-06-2021, 06:25 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: CBS-TV news is reporting one death, a woman who was shot earlier in the afternoon, but I haven't found a link or any details yet.

link
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
CBS-TV news reports that the Senate will resume counting the electoral college votes at 8 PM, an hour from now.
-- Bob

Twitter deletes three POTUS tweets, locks account for at least 12 hours

Quote:This means that the account of @realDonaldTrump will be locked for 12 hours following the removal of these Tweets. If the Tweets are not removed, the account will remain locked.

— Twitter Safety (@TwitterSafety) January 7, 2021

EDIT: I suspect that this is the only event today that will actually bother him.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Okay, real question: Ted Cruz planned to 'debate' electors for various states voting for Biden, contesting their individual elections, right? Once the vote gets back underway, and all the coupies have been arrested (if they were people of color or leftists they would have been shot on sight, but instead we're getting 'go home we love you' - I'm getting serious Malheur Refuge Standoff vibes here, remember that?) and his skanky ass is out of danger - is he still gonna do that? Try to basically filibuster the election?

Or are we going to hope that this has stopped being a game for the various Senators and that they'll knuckle down and do the minimum required amount of governing? I'm 50-50 honestly. Could say 'okay it's no longer safe to try and bait the Trumpistas because they're loyal to him not the party', or they could say 'well I better do whatever it takes to appease the angry mob who could very well lynch me once I get home if I don't do what they say and try to slow down the election'.

Also, while we're falling apart at the seams, the Chinese built A quantum internet. We've let authoritarian ethnonationalists beat us in the tech game - again. This is what, the third Sputnik moment in about a year? With Huawei's 5G as 1, Covid as 2.
Well, from what I picked up in passing on CBS, at least one of the senators who was going to contest for a state has decided that she won't, now. I'm hoping that more follow her -- and Cruz has already had his moment in the slime with his speech earlier today. Given the reactions I've been seeing reported, it appears a lot of Republicans, though probably not all, have finally realized that their attempt to ride the tiger has got them hanging by its ears before its muzzle, and that Trump aimed his mob at them as well as the Democrats.
-- Bob

Ivanka, Eric, and Don Jr. Are in Furious Damage Control Mode Following Capitol Hill Siege
-- Bob

And the resignations of White House staff in protest have begun.
-- Bob

Rep. Ilhan Omar is drawing up articles of impeachment against President Trump
-- Bob

Congress reconvenes. Article includes a livestream for both the House and the Senate. Mike Pence has just finished a speech re-opening the Senate with "Let's get back to work."
-- Bob