Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Election - The curtain starts coming down
RE: 2020 Election - The curtain starts coming down
So Parler is now suffering the serious consequences of their free speech stance: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/joh...parler-aws

I don't have a lot of sympathy for their business being potentially destroyed by this.

To be fair, their moderation stance has become much more controversial given the way the insurrectionists used low-moderation online services to plan and coordinate. On the other, I can see where it's all a reaction of all these social and online services, already effectively under threat of antitrust action (Amazon told to become a sales portal and stop making their own products and spin off the web services for example) and the calls to repeal Section 230 and treat them like full-on publishers responsible for all content (and the unpalatable choice of close down those same services or engaging algorithmic moderation that will silence a whole lot of people or having to create old-school media gatekeeping and a small fraction of new content going forward).

On the one hand, better late than never, on the other hand, too little, too late, significant damage has already been done at this point. I also question how permanent the moderation shift is actually going to be; will Twitter, for instance, finally start evenly and completely enforcing their TOS regardless of following and skin color? Will YouTube finally insist on facts over opinion full-time for channels that purport to talk about news and current events? Eyeballs have always been way too highly rated a traffic metric on the sites. I only have a YouTube channel because I want to share the things I make (it'd be nice if it could be a side hustle), and I don't have accounts on anything else that can be considered Social Media (I closed my Facebook, Tumblr and Twitter accounts years ago over a lot of the stuff that they're now being called to task about, and have no intentions of going on Twitch).

Like Parler, if any of them have their business broken up or forced to make other changes and abide by significant restrictions like being 100% responsible for the content on their platforms that make it much harder to make money or datamine, I really would have no sympathy for them at this point; they only really make changes when the (legal ramifications) gun is held to their collective head, and all too often those changes come at the expense of people who are not White and Rich and Male and Straight and finding ways to be Toxic Edgelords despite any restrictions handed down.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Bryan Tyler Cohen - Republican West Virginia Lawmaker arrested for storming US Capitol
Bryan Cohen arrested?  "Always look on the bright side of life...."

No, I'm not ashamed of myself.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Lolita Lebrón did hard time for her assault in Congress in 54. I hope they throw the book just as hard to the insurrectionists and their allies:
Sen. Ted Cruz
Sen. Josh Hawley
Sen John Kennedy
Sen. Roger Marshall
Sen. Ron Johnson
Sen Tommy Tuberville
Sen. Rick Scott
Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith
Rep. Matt Gaetz
Rep. Jim Jordan
Rep. Kevin Mccarthy
Rep. Mo Brookes
Rep. Louis Gohmert
Rep. Lauren Boebert
Rep. Marjorie Greene
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
The fallout outside of Washington begins:

Marriott, Blue Cross, Commerce Bank and other big companies to cut off money to Congressional Republicans behind election challenges

EDIT: And the Lincoln Project is going to start targeting other companies that bankrolled those congresscritters.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
And now something that affects a small establishment a couple miles down the road from where I work:

PGA will strip Trump Bedminster of 2022 PGA Championship, insider says
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
That one is probably the one that hits Trump the hardest out of all the news.
(01-10-2021, 09:55 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: The fallout outside of Washington begins:

Marriott, Blue Cross, Commerce Bank and other big companies to cut off money to Congressional Republicans behind election challenges

EDIT:  And the Lincoln Project is going to start targeting other companies that bankrolled those congresscritters.

I see this sentence in that article:

Quote:The violence at the Capitol appears to have companies scrambling to figure out how to react, as they increasingly realize that this is not an ordinary political dispute and the option of sitting on the sidelines grows increasingly unsatisfying.

Sitting on the sidelines is no longer an option. Time to choose which side you're going to be on.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
The terrorist organization known as the NRA is using the incoming Biden administration to fundraise and keep spreading their lies:

Many members of the mob that rioted inside the Capitol lead or belong to so-called “gun-rights groups,” and were motivated by the warnings of tyranny issued by the NRA.
https://www.france24.com/en/americas/202...-activists
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Well, if the NRA wanted to fuel a crackdown on the US gun culture, its managing it.
An article of impeachment against Trump has been filed.
-- Bob

From the Washington Post

Republicans block House measure calling for President’s removal under 25th amendment.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...e-updates/

In other news...

Parler Users Unknowingly Gave Away Their Personal Data In Videos They Uploaded Illegally Storming Capitol Hill (And boy did they give away a lot -- Parler was apparently a leeeeeetle bit more intrusive than Facebook or Twitter.)

Trump could face murder charges for the death of Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick

EDIT: Oh, and in case you haven't heard, Amazon has kicked Parler off AWS for not responding over several weeks to their requests to moderate content calling for violence.
-- Bob

And the fallout continues:

Cumulus media, which “employs right wing talk-radio hosts, including Mark Levin, Ben Shapiro, and Dan Bongino, circulated a memo after the pro-Trump riots on Capitol Hill telling hosts to dial down allegations of election fraud, or else face termination.”
https://news.yahoo.com/talk-radio-owner-...41285.html

Forbes - yes, that Forbes, the [sarcasm mode] notorious leftist liberal rag [close sarcasm mode] isn't happy with Windrip's publicists.  Y'know:  Sean Spicer, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Stephanie Grisham, Kayleigh MacEnany....

Quote:As someone in the business of facts, it’s been especially painful to watch President Trump’s press secretaries debase themselves. Yes, as with their political bosses, spins and omissions and exaggerations are part of the game. But ultimately in PR, core credibility is the coin of the realm.
Let it be known to the business world: Hire any of Trump’s fellow fabulists above, and Forbes will assume that everything your company or firm talks about is a lie.

Ach, meine Schadenfreude.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
<applause>
-- Bob

And along the lines of giving away personal (and/or incriminating) data....

When I first saw this item, I posted my astonishment on the site that brought it to my attention:

Quote:How insane and stupid does someone have to be to put a text like that out on the ’Net? Why didn’t he just phone the FBI and say, “I want to turn myself in as a domestic terrorist”?

(Strictly speaking, I've here cleaned up a grammar error that slipped past in my original comment.  Heil Grammar!)
-----
Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf resigns
-- Bob

(01-11-2021, 06:20 PM)DHBirr Wrote: And along the lines of giving away personal (and/or incriminating) data....

When I first saw this item, I posted my astonishment on the site that brought it to my attention:

Quote:How insane and stupid does someone have to be to put a text like that out on the ’Net? Why didn’t he just phone the FBI and say, “I want to turn myself in as a domestic terrorist”?

Insane and stupid enough to believe Trump. Which says it all.
-- Bob

DC attorney general considers riot incitement charges against Donald Trump Jr., Giuliani, GOP Rep. Brooks
-- Bob

Facebook removing content containing the phrase "Stop the Steal"
-- Bob

The companies that were reported as suspending donations to election-denying Congresspeople? Some are cutting off all GOP donations -- or all donations period.
-- Bob

Trump dropped by biggest lender Deutsche Bank for future business

You gotta say one thing for it, this is all providing so much dramatic catharsis than I ever expected.  A week ago, I expected Trump to have a few more dumb rallies, soak up as many campaign donations as he could, and go off and found Trump TV from which he could harry us for another decade.  Instead, he went one step too far, and we finally got the morality play we wanted so long ago.  And it's all just falling apart, like Cinderella at the ball after midnight.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Trump really should have realized that a German bank (and, heading into the future, any European bank) is going to be unwilling to provide services to the leader of a violent right-wing movement.
-- Bob

Trump's popularily in Germany was in single figures before last week.

He's in denial that he was responsible according the news about what he's said on the way to Texas.

Odds that he's going to publicly claim that Antifa was responsible? He's supposedly already said so in private.