Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fanfiction.net down
fanfiction.net down
Is anyone getting into Fanfiction.net all I get is a DDOS delay that hangs on 5 seconds

Noticed Fanfiction.net was down yesterday afternoon in the middle of reading a fanfic I had put off reading since last Novermber and was about two thirds of the way through.

Very aggravating.

I have done all the work arounds I could think of, such as trying the mobile site, flushing my browsers buffers and even starting up one of rarely used emergency browsers and trying the site.

Finally I tried "Down for everyone or just me" and it said it was "Down for everyone."

JUst checked it a hour ago and it still says it "Down for everyone."

What's going on? Any one heard anything?

HDM
RE: fanfiction.net down
It’s up for me.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
It's loading immediately for me.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(01-07-2021, 08:43 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: It’s up for me.

Still down for me and according to the website I used to check it's down for everyone.

One thing I did notice in today's attempts was that it would sometimes load the main page with all the category headers, but trying to actually load any fanfic's content ends up stuck in the 5 second DDOS infinity loop.
I'm having no problems. Maybe it's something regional?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(01-07-2021, 10:14 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'm having no problems. Maybe it's something regional?

It must be regional...

And now it's being fixed. Just successfully loaded the fanfic I was trying to catch up on.

Decided to check on my "check site" and loaded the working links into

https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

It still saying Fanfic.net is down for everyone.

I use a satellite link from Arkansaw and it usually down links along the East Coast not sure where the above check site link is.

Thanks everyone.

I was aggravated and curious, out of habit I keep an eye on Latency and internet flow and I've noticed a lot of abrupt changes in the flow of web pages in the past 2 or 3 months.

HDM
The revolution will not be Flanderized.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
As of yesterday morning (1/9/21), I can no longer save chapters via the normal Ctrl-S Save As command. The results are 10 KB files with Cloudflare related messages. The Save Page WE add-on still works, but gives warnings now.

Kilroy
Yeah, FFN seems to be having some kind of meltdown, or else has declared war on people keeping an offline copy of anything hosted there. FanFicFare and Keepfic(?) have been broken for days, though Fan Fiction Down Loader was still working at last report.
--
‎noli esse culus
Quoting Raimond Eisele (Author of FFDL) on the CaerAzkaban mailinglist on something which might be related (extended security checks by FFn via CloudFlare). I noted the OP mentioning the 5 sec delay which is also a characteristic of the browser loop below is about.

Quote:Hi,
I've observed something interesting:
It's working without problems on my win 10 machine with up to date firefox/chrome/Edge.
But a different machine in my network (same public ip) with an older Linux and chrome 68 is stuck in the "checking your browser" loop.
Rai

Am 8. Januar 2021 00:21:06 MEZ schrieb Karen Lewellen <klewellen@shellworld.net>:
>One  thing to keep in mind about cloudflare is that they have a zero
>trust policy.
>Meaning, that if one person has ever tried to reach ffn outside of
>their parameters, then every single member is now  considered a danger.
>That includes software programs trying to work around the problem as
>well.
>I look forward to reading ideas, but frankly?
>the only person who can address this issue is whomever makes decisions
>at ffn, because they are paying cloudflare to block you.
>Karen

>On Thu, 7 Jan 2021, parkerx wrote:
>>
>> Hello and a request. So last night this problem popped up, an endless
>loop when trying to get a FF.net story loaded and continues today, with
>both Firefox and Safari being affected. Looking around the net, I see
>various reasons given, and I've done the few fixes recommended that
>seemed applicable. I've checked the date and time, and disabled and
>enabled Ad-block as well, it is the only common add on between the two
>browsers, and after doing so Firefox did load one chapter of a story
>before going back to the five second checking browser loop. Any fix
>would be greatly appreciated, this is very annoying. 

And later nzaman:

Quote:As I suggested to someone else on a different thread: go back to the page before the Cloudflare check, reload the page, then try the link again. It does a check every day on my machine; this is what I have to do when it gets stuck in a loop