Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Biden Administration Begins
The Biden Administration Begins
Biden targets Trump's legacy with first-day executive actions

And some great ones they are, too.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: The Biden Administration Begins
Well for starters, he's sitting in the Oval Office wearing a mask like a responsible adult. That's already a tenfold improvement in a single photo op, before you even start on what he's got on that desk to be signed.
--
‎noli esse culus
This is a good start, and I expected no less from Mr. Biden.  While Trump was no slouch himself, trying to undo everything the Obama administration had done, it seems Biden's got the same idea.

It's still going to take a lot of effort to undo all the bad Trump has done.

My thoughts, going down the list, line item by line item...

Quote:Topic: Coronavirus
Reversal: No
Launches a "100 Days Masking Challenge" asking Americans to wear masks for 100 days. Requires masks and physical distancing in federal buildings, on federal lands and by government contractors, and urges states and local governments to do the same.

Good.  Now we're starting to get on the right track.  This is where we should have been last year the moment the virus hit America.

Reversal: Yes
Stops the United States' withdrawal from the World Health Organization, with Dr. Anthony Fauci becoming the head of the delegation to the WHO

It still bothers the hell out of me that we pulled out of the WHO.  One of the lamest, most idiotic, and above all, hypocritical things Trump's administration had done.

Creates the position of Covid-19 Response Coordinator, reporting directly to Biden and managing efforts to produce and distribute vaccines and medical equipment

It's telling that this wasn't a reversal in that there was nothing to reverse, per se.  About goddamn time!

Quote:Topic: Economy
Extends the existing nationwide moratorium on evictions and foreclosures until at least March 31

What concerns me the most is that there are landlords out there that are still evicting people despite this moratorium.  I hope they get fucking hammered like the erstwhile nails they are.

Quote:Topic: Economy
Extends the existing pause on student loan payments and interest for Americans with federal student loans until at least September 30

Glad to see this is being upheld.  I bet a lot of the MAGA Hat Crowd were thinking that Biden would have let this one expire.

Quote:Topic: Environment
Rejoins the Paris climate accord, a process that will take 30 days

Again, another piece of idiocy and hypocrisy that shouldn't have had to have been reversed in the first place.  Just because your base thinks it's a good idea doesn't mean it actually is a good idea.

Cancels the Keystone XL pipeline and directs agencies to review and reverse more than 100 Trump actions on the environment

Refresh my memory - wasn't this one of the things that the major banks refused to hand out loans for?  And I mean, not just the drilling in protected areas in Alaska.  It's a huge fucking red flag when the biggest banks in the world think something is a bad idea.

Quote:Topic: Equity
Rescinds the Trump administration's 1776 Commission, directs agencies to review their actions to ensure racial equity

Okay.  I had admit; I had to google this one.

Holy.  Fucking.  Shit.  How much pandering to White Supremacists do you need before you do something?  Thank GOD that pile of toxic orange slop is gone!

Quote:Topic: Equity
Prevents workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity

Again, it's telling that this wasn't even a reversal in the first place.

Quote:Topic: Census
Requires non-citizens to be included in the Census and apportionment of congressional representatives

Ignoring non-citizens is a dangerous thing to do, no matter how you slice it.  Even if you don't like the results.  Otherwise, it can lead to outcomes of programs you implement based on bad information being very different from what you intended.  And not in a good way.

Quote:Topic: Immigration
Fortifies DACA after Trump's efforts to undo protections for undocumented people brought into the country as children

What's scary is that this COULD have been a reversal.  Fortunately, we're just beefing it up after the last administration's ill-planned attempts to kill it.

Reverses the Trump administration's restrictions on US entry for passport holders from seven Muslim-majority countries

I can see why it was done, but that doesn't mean I think it was a great idea.  I mean, it's not like as if there isn't a paper trail to follow - if anything, terrorists want to be as inconspicuous as possible, and that means getting in by means with the least amount of administrative foot prints left behind to follow.

Undoes Trump's expansion of immigration enforcement within the United States

DEFUND THE POLICE ICE!

Halts construction of the border wall by terminating the national emergency declaration used to fund it

Yet another asinine thing that shouldn't have to be undone in the first place.  When your GOP-held Senate refuses to give you the funding you want for a right-wing MURICA FURST project, then it's probably going to be a waste of money anyways.  (Something that has been born out by video evidence of people with no climbing skills at all scaling these goddamn things.)

(Seriously, I'm kinda glad Raj left, because his opinions in this matter were, quite frankly, utterly disturbing and verging on being sociopathic.  I'm all for debate and everything, but hoooolyyyy shit, son, in some places they consider these acts to be war crimes!)

Extends deferrals of deportation and work authorizations for Liberians with a safe haven in the United States until June 30, 2022

Deporting refugees shouldn't even be something that is questioned.  This is one of the cornerstones of what made America great in the first place.  Make America Great Again?  More like Make America Bleached.  It's telling that "Deporting Native Americans" was something that came up during the Trump Administration.

Quote:Topic: Ethics
Requires executive branch appointees to sign an ethics pledge barring them from acting in personal interest and requiring them to uphold the independence of the Department of Justice

Huh.  So basically, Trump's loyalty pledge, but in reverse?  Not sure if that should be considered not a reversal.

Quote:Topic: Regulation
Directs OMB director to develop recommendations to modernize regulatory review and undoes Trump's regulatory approval process

Good!  This was one of the most ridiculous bits of Trump's administration.  Just because you "simplify" something doesn't always mean it will work better that way.  America's bureaucracy has evolved the way it has for a reason, and it wasn't to support the American Paper Industry!
(01-21-2021, 02:17 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote:
Cancels the Keystone XL pipeline and directs agencies to review and reverse more than 100 Trump actions on the environment

Refresh my memory - wasn't this one of the things that the major banks refused to hand out loans for?  And I mean, not just the drilling in protected areas in Alaska.  It's a huge fucking red flag when the biggest banks in the world think something is a bad idea.

No, it was "drilling for oil in Alaska wildlife preserves" that the banks weren't willing to touch.

This one's "move bitumen from the Canadian bitumen fields to the Gulf Coast refineries that can process it", which is very high up on the radar on this side of the border and is all-but-guaranteed to come up in Biden's first phone call to another government leader.

(Apparently, getting this crude processed is part of our strategy to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions. Don't ask me how that's supposed to work.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
The same way the open pit coal mining is supposed to be progress and incapable of damaging to the environment.

Only if you don't listen to anyone but Jason Kenney and his minions.
-Now available with copious trivia!
The Keystone XL thing is yet another grievance that Canada will have with us.  Hopefully, the lumber and steel trade war will be wound down quickly and quietly, and we'll go back to harassing Canada on issues that actually matter rather than pointlessly obstructing trade.  I mean, seriously, Canada is not the ones stealing all our manufacturing jobs.  If you want evidence of that, all you have to do is look at the long line of ships that can't get a berth at LA/Long Beach harbors right now.

The 1776 Commission was kind of self-descriptive, bringing back early American values like white supremacy, insurrection, and patriarchy.  You'd think these people would have something better to do with their time, but no, they did not.

Anyway, things have been great, there's essentially no comedy coming out of the new administration.  I think we can all agree that we've had enough comedy from the White House to last a lifetime.  Press conferences where questions are answered and reporters are not insulted.  Dr Fauci gets to go out and say that a hundred thousand Americans will die next month, because no one told him not to tell the truth.  The courts have struck down Trump's pollution plan.  A radical normalcy has taken root in this country.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Just the part where Biden is listening to competent experts like Fauci and letting them do their jobs is such a turn up it's amazing. And horrifying as well, that it is so much of a change, but let's all hope he carries on as he's begun.
--
‎noli esse culus
(01-21-2021, 06:53 PM)Labster Wrote: The Keystone XL thing is yet another grievance that Canada will have with us.  Hopefully, the lumber and steel trade war will be wound down quickly and quietly, and we'll go back to harassing Canada on issues that actually matter rather than pointlessly obstructing trade.  I mean, seriously, Canada is not the ones stealing all our manufacturing jobs.  If you want evidence of that, all you have to do is look at the long line of ships that can't get a berth at LA/Long Beach harbors right now.

As I understand it, the Keystone XL thing isn't super popular here in Canada either (though I haven't been paying a lot of attention to it) so there might not be a lot of blowback from cancelling it.
Yeah, Trump has set such a low bar to clear that its fucking ridiculous.

But what's even more fucked up is that when things are legitimately getting better, the Trumpeters are going to be crying out about conspiracies and the Deep State and that Trump was a much better president than any other.
Complaining about lumber tariffs, while a pain and something the US keeps losing over, are also pretty normal and have been part of the background noise of Canadian politics for as far as I can recall.

Instead, I expect the more meaningful trade friction between Canada and the US to involve arguments over to what extent Buy American provisions can take precedence over the current version of NAFTA.
-Now available with copious trivia!
Biden sets sights on 1.5 million vaccinations a day

Canada won't receive any Pfizer shots this week

Also, Biden strengthens ‘Buy American’ rules with executive order

Let me know when you plan to start working with your allies, Mr. Biden.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Possibly once Congress confirms a Secretary of State?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto