Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC] "The hero's path"
[OOC] "The hero's path"
One might recall that my SI was geased to "continue to walk the hero's path, else when he dies his soul will be taken by [Garm's] mistress", in Donaldson en Kazakiri.

But just what is the hero's path?

I'm curious as to how others would answer that question, so that I can get a better handle on how my SI should be behaving. Starting off the discussion, let's hear from some fictional characters who might end up becoming displacees:

Quote:If one truly is to have the right to be called a Hero, it's not because he wields a sword or because he holds a shield. Not because he heals, either. A Hero is one who risks his own life, to protect his companions, to save the woman, he wagers himself. It doesn't matter if you're beaten. It's fine if you're crushed. Weep all you want. Because the victor is always found among the losers. Drive your wish through. Cry out your desire. Do that, and that is when a Hero looks most impressive!
- Hermes, Bell Cranel's grandfather, and Bell Cranel, speaking in turns, Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, season 1, episode 13

That seems like a pretty good starting point to me. But is there anything else?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: [OOC] "The hero's path"
I don't think I can do any better than this song here done for League of Legends...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4hDcd9fzRk

Legends never die
When the world is calling you
Can you hear them screaming out your name?

Legends never die
They become a part of you
Every time you bleed for reaching greatness

Relentless you survive

They never lose hope
When everything's cold
And the fighting's near

It's deep in their bones
they'll run into smoke
When the fire is fierce

Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause

Legends never die
When the world is calling you (the world is calling you)

Legends never die
They become a part of you (they become a part of you)

Legends never die

They're written down in eternity
But you'll never see the price it costs
Scars collected all their lives

When everything's lost
They pick up their hearts
And avenge defeat

Before it all starts
They suffer through harm
Just to touch a dream

Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause

Legends never die
When the world is calling you (when the world is calling you)

Legends never die

Legends never die

When the world is calling out your name
Begging you to fight
Pick yourself up once more

Pick yourself up, 'cause

Legends never die
When the world is calling you (the world is calling you)

Legends never die

Legends never die
Something something Joseph Campbell.

Also, I saw this in the images thread:
[Image: Rgm0X1p.jpg]

As much as I had at English teacher that I was totally crushing on in high school who was obsessed with Joseph Campbell, I tend to think of heroism much more broadly.  I write about ordinary people, because ordinary acts are often heroic -- I know some of you have preread my story where Yomi saves the world.  I can't exactly say that there is a difference between heroism and benevolence in my own theory, which probably isn't all that helpful to you.

Oh, and the teacher was named Miss Fox.  She was pretty and single, but not the young student teacher type -- she had a teenage daughter who did fashion modeling.  We got along pretty well for a while, but the "breakup" was pretty bad; I had to leave her class because she "could never trust me again."

Honestly an anime of my life is not all that much of a stretch, you know?

Anyway the first part of being a hero is to answer the call.  (This is, incidentally, the first step of spiritual ministry, which back on my point earlier...)  If something unjust is happening, Rob chooses to act.  And continues to act for love and justice.  That's all it means, really.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Yeah, that's an important part of being a hero.

I should have remembered that - Rush told us the same thing nearly three decades ago:

"Nobody's Hero", performed by Rush, lyrics by Neil Peart, music by Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson, © 1994 Anthem Records Inc.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I'd imaging, it's being in the cycle, never leaving it.

Like every John McClane movie. When the terrorists start blowing shit up again, only John McClane can save the day.

If John McClane ever decided to save his marriage and his family, over kicking another Gruber brother off a building - then he'd be doomed.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Finally thought of the thing I wanted to put in here.  This would be Benjamin coaching some youngsters...  Probably the Hero Academy...

"You want to know that the essence of being a hero is?  What it really means?  I'll tell you.  Being a true hero isn't about fame.  It's not about rewards, or glamor, or even getting the girl.

"Being a true hero has NOTHING to do with that.

"Instead, it's about the people.  It's the knowledge that if you do not act, if you choose to do nothing, or if you don't act quickly enough, then someone - it doesn't matter who! - is not going to make it home that night.  There will be people grieving over this person's absence.  There will be a father, a mother, a brother, a sister, a child, a cousin, or even a friend that will be crying over a casket!  And the essence of being a hero is that you absolutely refuse to have that be a reality!  You cannot stand the idea of that sorrow existing in the world.  Not when there was something you could have done!

"That is what it means.  Nothing else matters.  Just that you make sure that someone is able to go home that night, and be with their loved ones.

"Of course, you will not always be able to save everyone.  And for those of you who are the true heroes?  This will always haunt you.  None of the accolades or recognition will be worth anything to you.  They won't silence the cries that you hear in the most quiet moments in the middle of the night.  That is the curse of being us, the true heroes.  And it will be what drives you even further the next time."