Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What rhymes with nothing?
What rhymes with nothing?
Question 
They say orange does - but that's silly, they don't even sound a bit alike Dodgy

Door hinge rhymes with orange, but what rhymes with nothing?
--
‎noli esse culus
RE: What rhymes with nothing?
(02-02-2021, 12:40 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: but what rhymes with nothing?

Hmmmmm... that's a thing... Better ask RhymeZone.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
On one hand, this is based on the bad grammar of the phrase "Nothing rhymes with 'Orange'."

Which (d)evolved from the statement "There is No 'Thing' that rhymes with 'Orange'."
When what they meant is "There is not a word, that rhymes with "orange."

On the other hand as the word 'Nothing' is a contraction of the words 'No thing'.

In the gripping hand It makes sense that the only thing that rhymes with 'some thing', is another 'thing'.

-- A Motie Vetted Diplomat, (not an actual quote by a diplomat fictional or otherwise)

I'll just get back to my Corner...
'A ring' rhymes with 'nothing'.
SEZ
BZG
What doth-ing rhyme with nothing? There are some nearby forced rhymes. Hunting and bunting seem close to my ears. The Japanese hear /θ/ as /s/ so maybe words like “cussing” or “fussing”. Then /d/ is in a similar tongue position, voiced but not fricative, so “budding” is really quite close. Or maybe /v/ which is voiced and fricative, but labial-dental, like “shoving”.

Honestly before this I had not thought to use the IPA chart to make rhymes. This feels useful.

Oh, and depending on the dialect, “mutton” and “button” rhyme Big Grin
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Muffin and bluffing are also relatively close, but much depends on your pronunciation, yes. I tend to hard vowels on "a" and "the," which is why "a thing" and "the thing" didn't occur to me and still feel wrong without actively thinking about it.
--
‎noli esse culus
The late Aleister Crowley once wrote that Jack Parsons had "got a miraculous illumination which rhymes with nothing" from the professional pulp writer and amateur magus who talked his way into the Babalon Working. (Have you ever enslaved a population? And, really, on the whole track, whomst amongst ust hastn't've ever hidden a body?)