Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
Image license update:

Everything from Commons is now identified as being from Commons.

Anything uploaded by the photographer or artist that didn't have a license is now marked as copyrighted and used with permission.

18,300 files now say they were uploaded from TVTropes without a license.

35 files don't have any license information at all. I'm working on cleaning up that list first, since it's the list that puts the wiki at the most risk.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Bob, this is nigh certainly a false positive:

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...ougn5cvoq1
You are quite right. I am so used to seeing the TVT page come up at the top of Google search results -- the easiest way to get to the right page for comparison -- I didn't even notice that I was looking at our page and comparing it to itself.

That's the second time I've made such an error in the last month or so. If you guys want to penalize me, I won't complain.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(04-20-2021, 03:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: You are quite right.  I am so used to seeing the TVT page come up at the top of Google search results -- the easiest way to get to the right page for comparison -- I didn't even notice that I was looking at our page and comparing it to itself.

That's the second time I've made such an error in the last month or so.  If you guys want to penalize me, I won't complain.

If it happens again, we'll see. Until then, do what I do, head over to TVT, pop the name of the page into the search bar, and compare that.
I kicked a few tropes back into the Trope Workshop this morning. They were all marked on TVT as of the fork as needing better descriptions.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-20-2021, 11:46 AM)robkelk Wrote: Image license update:

Everything from Commons is now identified as being from Commons.

Anything uploaded by the photographer or artist that didn't have a license is now marked as copyrighted and used with permission.

18,300 files now say they were uploaded from TVTropes without a license.

35 files don't have any license information at all. I'm working on cleaning up that list first, since it's the list that puts the wiki at the most risk.

We are now down to one file uploaded without a license, not counting stuff we got from TV Tropes.

Specifically, this file.

Uploaded by some guy called "Labster". Seven years ago, so who knows whether he's still around? Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<snrk>

Meanwhile, I think I've spotted a possible future troublemaker.

Quote:* User creation log 19:11 User account Doinyamom(doin) talk contribs block was created ‎

No contributions yet, but they always seem to pick names like that.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Amazingly, "Unacceptable username" is on the list of ban reasons.

I suspect it's something Miraheze added, because I think banning based on a username starts the slippery slope that ends in "fe@r teh modz" territory.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Didn't you put that there when we had the guy whose username was only a letter or two off from yours?

Anyway, Doin's first two edits just showed up in Moderation, and they were serious fixes to some rotten grammar that's been hanging around since the fork, and a genuine trope entry to a creator page. So let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
-- Bob

(04-23-2021, 10:17 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Didn't you put that there when we had the guy whose username was only a letter or two off from yours?

Anyway, Doin's first two edits just showed up in Moderation, and they were serious fixes to some rotten grammar that's been hanging around since the fork, and a genuine trope entry to a creator page.  So let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Yeah, an unacceptable username would be for something libelous (Admin X Touches Children) or mod impersonation. Just being edgy or crude, lol, whatever, so long as you edit in good faith.
Just updated the Academy Award templates, and couldn't help but notice they have a lot of redlinks... that I don't know enough about to be able to turn blue. Anybody want to make some stubs for the missing pages?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Something I noticed while doing my best for one of those redlinks...

Graham Chapman in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. George Burns in Oh, God!. Morgan Freeman in Bruce Almighty. Frances McDormand in Good Omens. They all played God. Do we have a trope for that?

"Playing God" is a disambiguation page, and the trope list there concentrates on actual or falsified apotheosis - it doesn't mention acting at all.

EDIT: I suppose the list of examples on our page "God" would serve here... so I've added that to the disambiguation page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I don't remember any such trope... but I think it would be a good one to have. "God as a character".
-- Bob

another name to add to that list, Alanis Morsette in Dogma
Not to mention whoever played the old man beaten up by the demon skaters.
-- Bob

Guys, what happened to Cquote2.svg, the blue "close quote" image used by the quote template? It's vanished and there doesn't even appear to be an entry for it in the deletion log.

EDIT: And now it's back. God, I hate when random stuff like that happens to the wiki.
-- Bob

I noticed a couple of image glitches this morning, too. Something wrong with the image cache, maybe.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Still adding "infobox book" to our pages about books. I'm up to the end of the 18th century now.

This doesn't mean that the infoboxes all have their central theme or elevator pitch entered, though. Does anyone want categories created for pages that don't have these? It's easy enough to automate - after all, I've already automated the addition of "Category:Pages Needing Images" to pages that don't have images in their infoboxes. It'd take less than ten minutes to set up.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'd say go ahead. The more "fix this" stuff we have autoflagged, the easier we can find it when we have the time and/or staff to address it.
-- Bob

Done. Lists of pages needing Central Themes or Elevator Pitches are now auto-populating, and should be done shortly.

Consistency is good - the lists include pages from both of the infoboxes that I've created so far ("book" and "episode"), and I'll continue using the same fields in future infoboxes.

On the other hand, the blank headers now appear in the sidebars. Mind you, I think that's a feature, not a bug - it makes clear that the values need to be populated.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Anybody mind if I organize the big list of lists of pages needing work on the Community Portal? I'm thinking of splitting it into two tabs - needs cleanup and needs info.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm fine with that.

In the mean time, I've found a big file o'content on my hard drive that I stuck in an "All The Tropes" directory which I promptly forgot about, some years ago. Having rediscovered it, I did not want to risk forgetting it for another eight years, so I am slowly but surely restoring the Title Bin. (Which will, I believe, make us the only Troping Site with one, as TVT appears to have nuked theirs shortly after the fork, probably under the "no fun allowed" rule or something.)
-- Bob

I ended up splitting the list into three tabs: "Pages needing more content", "Pages needing cleanup", and "Other pages".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We have two templates that have almost the same name, and do almost the same thing. Here's a screenshot of the difference between the results of Template:smallcaps and Template:small-caps:

Template:smallcaps is used on 1793 pages as of this posting. Template:small-caps is used on sixteen pages as of this posting.

I like the output of Template:small-caps better than the output of Template:smallcaps, myself.

It's trivial to redirect one template to the other.

Do we want both templates, or should we go with consistency?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I agree with you on the aesthetics. I vote for redirecting smallcaps to small-caps.
-- Bob